OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory and Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory and Swarovski
    Posted: June/25/2011 at 22:45
How does the optical quality of the Zeiss Victory line of binoculars compare with Swarovski's optics?
It seems like everyone's glass is judged/compared to Swarovski glass. I never hear too much about anyone's glass  being judged against the Zeiss Victory line. Does Swarovski really have better optics than the Zeiss Victory line?
Has anyone owned both and/or done side by side optical comparisons with these two brands of binoculars? Who's glass do you like better and why? Any real world comparisons and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
jawaid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jawaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 22:51
ckeck this link competitor link removed by moderator and maybe it will help you.

Edited by Kickboxer - June/26/2011 at 09:10
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 23:05
Originally posted by jawaid jawaid wrote:

ckeck this link competitor link removed and maybe it will help you.

Well, that is one opinion.

My opinion is that the best glass from the best makers (Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica) are all great.  Some will prefer one to another for some minor reason (CA control, edge sharpness, focus knob "feel", etc.), but really all produce excellent images.

I bet in Germany you would hear comparisons to Zeiss far more often than comparisons to Swarovski.

Edited by Kickboxer - June/26/2011 at 09:11
-Matt
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 23:09
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 23:11
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I bet in Germany you would hear comparisons to Zeiss far more often than comparisons to Swarovski.
Probably because Swarovski's are made in Austria. Wink

Edited by Bird Watcher - June/25/2011 at 23:12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 08:40
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Probably because Swarovski's are made in Austria. Wink

Exactly my point, BW.

Cool
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 21:20
Originally posted by BDL BDL wrote:

How does the optical quality of the Zeiss Victory line of binoculars compare with Swarovski's optics?
It seems like everyone's glass is judged/compared to Swarovski glass. I never hear too much about anyone's glass  being judged against the Zeiss Victory line. Does Swarovski really have better optics than the Zeiss Victory line?
Has anyone owned both and/or done side by side optical comparisons with these two brands of binoculars? Who's glass do you like better and why? Any real world comparisons and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to OT, BDL!

Just like all "which is best" questions, there is no "correct" answer to your question, and you will never get a consensus.  At the top tier of optical quality, the flagship optics from the alpha manufacturers are all superb.   When you're contemplating spending that kind of money, you really need to handle and compare all binos under consideration side by side before deciding.  I would never base a buying decision of that magnitude solely on the opinions of others.  The differences you'll see in image quality are so subtle that ergonomics, size, weight, appearance, FOV, eye relief, focuser feel & speed, eyecup comfort, etc. will often be the deciding factor in your choice.

When solely looking at image quality, the "best" for you depends on what optical attribute your eyes prefer.  Keep in mind that every optic, regardless of price, is the culmination of a series of conscious design compromises.  In order to optimize one optical characteristic (i.e. resolution), another characteristic (i.e. contrast) must be sacrificed some.  Which characteristic(s) are enhanced and which are compromised depends on the manufacturer's design goals for the optic.  This is why there isn't nor ever will be an absolute "best" optic for every situation and every set of eyes.

Basically, if you want the very best resolution combined with the least amount of chromatic aberration (color fringing) at the very center of the field... and are willing to live with a softer image at the very edge of the field... the Zeiss Victory FL is virtually unbeatable.

If you prefer a large "sweet spot" with good resolution nearly to the field edge... Swaro.  Although resolution is very good, ultimate resolution is sacrificed somewhat in exchange for the huge sweet spot.  It will exhibit a bit more chromatic aberration than the Zeiss.

If you prefer very high contrast and a fairly large sweet spot that essentially splits the difference between Zeiss and Swaro... Leica.  Because of the enhanced contrast, colors appear vivid.  Resolution, although very good, isn't quite as good as Zeiss.  CA control is about the same as Swaro.

In the 42mm and larger objective models, Zeiss supposedly has slightly higher light transmission due to the Abbe Koenig prism design.  However, I doubt you'd notice much difference comparing binos of the same config.  All provide essentially the same low light performance.

From my experience, Leica has better overall control of flare in certain lighting conditions than Zeiss.  I haven't done a head to head comparison of this characteristic with Swaro.

This is the way I see it.  Others may disagree.  They are all great binoculars; just different.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Phoenix356 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 21:42

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 22:36
Ted pretty much nailed it.

Just to add, the newest Swarovskis (Swarovision and SLC-HD) have improved CA control (although previous models were not poor in this area either).

The Swarovision also has extremely low distortion. Some people love the extremely flat field, but others (myself included) prefer some pincushion distortion for ease of panning.

Again, none of these three have a real leg up on the others ... it is all about the end-user's preference.
-Matt
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 06:10
I've owned 3 different Swarovski binoculars, I'm on my second Leica, and now hunt with a Zeiss Victory. Once you get to this level, I think you're splitting hairs.

It's like trying to decide which one of these woman you'd most like to date - Faith Hill, Cindy Crawford, or Carrie Underwood . . .  

Edited by tpcollins - July/01/2011 at 06:11
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 06:37
You won't go wrong with any of the big three binocular makers.  I went with Swarovski since they felt so good to my eyes and in my hands.  I own the SLCs 7 x 42 that have the same glass in them as the ELs for a lot less $$.  Plus I feel like the SLCs are more rugged not that I am going to abuse them by any means.  Plus I know for a fact that Swarovski has the best customer service in the business and they have pretty quick turn around if you need them serviced.  I like the Zeiss FLs as well and they are very good binoculars but they cost more $$ then the Swarovski SLCs.  I don't have any experience with Leica's but I hear they are very good as well.  Any way you go you'll be happy with what you have.  I'd try and go to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, a local gun shop or photo shop that has some of these and try them out inside the store and if they will let you take them outside will be the best test for your eyes.  Good luck!
D. Holmes
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 07:31
Originally posted by tpcollins tpcollins wrote:

I've owned 3 different Swarovski binoculars, I'm on my second Leica, and now hunt with a Zeiss Victory. Once you get to this level, I think you're splitting hairs.

It's like trying to decide which one of these woman you'd most like to date - Faith Hill, Cindy Crawford, or Carrie Underwood . . .  

YUP! And I have bout a good of chance of owning those Leica, Zeiss or Swaro's as I do of getting a date with Faith, Cindy or Carrie!!!!!!!!!!!Big Smile 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 14:54

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.binomania.it%2Fbinocoli%2Fmegarecensione%2Fmega_review.php

Here's an additional review for Swarovski binos:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=it&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.binomania.it%2Fbinocoli%2Fswarovision10x50%2Fswarovision10x50.php

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/01/2011 at 15:03
BDL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome to OT, BDL!

Just like all "which is best" questions, there is no "correct" answer to your question, and you will never get a consensus.  At the top tier of optical quality, the flagship optics from the alpha manufacturers are all superb.   When you're contemplating spending that kind of money, you really need to handle and compare all binos under consideration side by side before deciding.  I would never base a buying decision of that magnitude solely on the opinions of others.  The differences you'll see in image quality are so subtle that ergonomics, size, weight, appearance, FOV, eye relief, focuser feel & speed, eyecup comfort, etc. will often be the deciding factor in your choice.

When solely looking at image quality, the "best" for you depends on what optical attribute your eyes prefer.  Keep in mind that every optic, regardless of price, is the culmination of a series of conscious design compromises.  In order to optimize one optical characteristic (i.e. resolution), another characteristic (i.e. contrast) must be sacrificed some.  Which characteristic(s) are enhanced and which are compromised depends on the manufacturer's design goals for the optic.  This is why there isn't nor ever will be an absolute "best" optic for every situation and every set of eyes.

Basically, if you want the very best resolution combined with the least amount of chromatic aberration (color fringing) at the very center of the field... and are willing to live with a softer image at the very edge of the field... the Zeiss Victory FL is virtually unbeatable.

If you prefer a large "sweet spot" with good resolution nearly to the field edge... Swaro.  Although resolution is very good, ultimate resolution is sacrificed somewhat in exchange for the huge sweet spot.  It will exhibit a bit more chromatic aberration than the Zeiss.

If you prefer very high contrast and a fairly large sweet spot that essentially splits the difference between Zeiss and Swaro... Leica.  Because of the enhanced contrast, colors appear vivid.  Resolution, although very good, isn't quite as good as Zeiss.  CA control is about the same as Swaro.

In the 42mm and larger objective models, Zeiss supposedly has slightly higher light transmission due to the Abbe Koenig prism design.  However, I doubt you'd notice much difference comparing binos of the same config.  All provide essentially the same low light performance.

From my experience, Leica has better overall control of flare in certain lighting conditions than Zeiss.  I haven't done a head to head comparison of this characteristic with Swaro.

This is the way I see it.  Others may disagree.  They are all great binoculars; just different.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I do have a question for RifleDude. When you say that "Leica has better overall control of flare in certain lighting conditions than Zeiss", can you explain what you are talking about by flare?
alexbino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexbino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 03:22

Colleagues
Could you inform me please what is the difference between Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 and Swarovski SLC WB 10x42? What was done better and what was done worse?

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 08:22
Alex,

Go check out my response to your question in the HD bino thread. It should help.
Frank
alexbino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexbino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 09:07
Thank you Frank
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 20:35
My buddy has the ziess victorys and they are very nice but in my opinion are not as good as swarovskis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic