OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody want to load me some 308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody want to load me some 308
    Posted: June/24/2011 at 17:47
Hey guys no joke looking to have someone load me 308 rounds. I'm willing to pay for the supplies for it & even the shipping. I dont have a reloader or anything or know anyone  that does it (yes I suck). With the cost of buying it in stores here or online I thought I'd better off have it done and getting some good ammo. So any taker????? Big Grin
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:02
You need to reload your own because that way you know what is in them.  Shooting someone elses re-loads is not such a good idea as you do not know their level of quality control.  I measure every powder charge and load with a single stage press. For $320 you can get a whole kit. 
------------------------ or go piece by piece here is the minimum:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=176078 For as little as $50. you can get a press the rock chucker and the multi stage presses are nicer but more money.  

(nice to have a second shell holder to leave in the primer tool)
eventually you will want other items a case trimmer likely the expensive powder thrower scale combo and a brass polisher probably a primer pocket uniformer and flash hole uniformer but those will come in time you can make ammo with nothing but this untill the cases need trimmed.  I have a Lyman electric case trimmer that I like but I loaded a lot of bullets before I bought some of the nice to have expensive stuff. The digital scale is a good idea from the start and the RCBS case lube pad is a disaster so stick with the Horniday Unique butter dish tap a finger on it roll the case between your fingers and deprime and resize the case. You must have lube on the case or it will stick in the die ( probably forever.)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:07

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:08
Wes, as usual you've gone above and beyond in your assistance to others on this site!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:11
If you go with an electric powder thrower and attached scale that is ideal but it can be done with a manual poweder thrower and a manual scale.  Or you can take a powder trickler and a spoon and a good electronic scale and drop powder into the pan to get the right amount. If you get a few tenths of a grain over take your fingers and take out a pinch and drop a grain or two till it is the exact weight. You can get the powder weighed with only a spoon or some type of dipper and a pinch between finger and tumb.  The powder thrower just makes the process faster and the electronic version hauls ass.   Same with case trimmer the electric one hauls ass.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:12
Thanks Mike  I corrupted Julio on reloading and I suspect he has much nicer equipment than I do.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:14
for those of you who dont recognize the stuff that looks like nail polish it is Makron Primer Sealer and it keeps moisture out of cartridges that will be stored long term or used in damp conditions hunting.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 21:42
There could be a lot of liability for someone to load ammo for you.  I am sure ammo companies have insurance to cover the possible problems that could happen.  But an individual could get themselves into a world of trouble if they blew up your gun or something and hurt you.  Your insurance company would go after them to pay for the medical expenses.  Could be a bad deal.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 22:48
I load 45 Colt "SASS" practice ammo for a friend of mine. He mows the lawn at my cabin in exchange. We've known each other (and therefore trust each other) for longer than I care to admit. I'd be really reluctant to make ammo for someone I didn't know very well.

That said, gear up and get what you need to make your own ammo. Its a rewarding part of being a gun nut. The initial investment will be quickly recovered by making your own match grade ammo. I'd be happy to be a consultant on the process. I am sure there are many others, more experienced than me, here that would offer the same. I've taught several folks how to reload with my equipment and its a very rewarding experience.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 22:54
I don't use a deburring tool like Urimaginaryfrnd. I use steel wool. In my experience, the smooth rounded edges from a few twists on steel wool offer a more uniform case mouth than the sharp edges the cutting tool creates. But for a bolt gun, that step is largely in-consequent, since no crimp is applied. I do crimp and seal my hunting cartridges, as illustrated.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 23:55
Wes pretty much sized it up. The thought that occurred to me was that it would be really hard to do the back and forth to come up with a load that works well for your particular rifle. I ran several ladder tests (progressively higher powder charges and/or seating depths) with several bullets and powders to come up with the right load. And that was all just one person keeping track of everything locally.

Also, down the road you've got to then think about changes to brass prep as the cartridges gradually change from repeated firing and brass flow. It's something best done with the rifle at hand. Reloading is (mostly) a fun and rewarding hobby. I actually prefer to call it handloading because reloading implies that you might be saving money. I have never saved a dime, but have come up with some very accurate loads. I know I can depend on them too because each was handled meticulously by me every step of the way...something I don't think any mass manufacturer could guarantee.
Reaction time is a factor...
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 01:37
yeah fine and dandy but I forgot say I don't have room either to set up a reloader. mind ya i live in single wide in trailer park (yup white trash) lol. I have two out side sheds that are thos little pissy things ( 8x8) that 4 wheeler & tools go in & the other is for storage. Oh well thanks guys it was a thought i know how hard would to work this load & that load this way but oh well. Looks like back to the drawing board Big Grin really thanks Wes for all the input i've looked @ buy a reloader for sometime now but just haven't done it
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 08:15
Not my cup of tea, but CT put this rig together to reload on. 

"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 10:15
The mobile an FRUGAL reloader!   We must be kin somewhere back in the eon!   Lol!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

yeah fine and dandy but I forgot say I don't have room either to set up a reloader. mind ya i live in single wide in trailer park (yup white trash) lol. I have two out side sheds that are thos little pissy things ( 8x8) that 4 wheeler & tools go in & the other is for storage. Oh well thanks guys it was a thought i know how hard would to work this load & that load this way but oh well. Looks like back to the drawing board Big Grin really thanks Wes for all the input i've looked @ buy a reloader for sometime now but just haven't done it

I've had the privilege of living in Idaho twice, both times/locations in a trailer. I'd go back tomorrow if work would send me.

White by birth, Trash by choice.

I have a portable set up that all fits in a wooden box for a case of wine. Pretty small when its all put away.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 11:16
Hey neighbor, it wasn't a bad idea...just giving you some reasons why it is impractical.
Reaction time is a factor...
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 11:30
Reloader Trailer Trash - buy a clue - this IS a REDNECK Hobby.

For over 20 years I had my single stage press mounted to a 18 inch long piece of 2x10 and used  C clamps to secure it to whatever table I could find to use.  My first reloading bench was a door cut in half held up by 2x4s.  If you want to make your own ammo you will find a way.  You must have a press but it doesnt have to be an expensive one, Lee has some that are less than thirty bucks. You have to have a way to seat primers and a way to measure powder charges so some type of scale either manual or electric. You have to have a set of dies and a shell holder. A funnel would be nice but you could probably figure out something. I didnt have a measuring device for 20 + years and the one I have now was used when I got it but case length and over all length are important.  You have to have case lube powder primers bullets. You can do this without it costing a fortune and without it taking up a huge amount of room.  But over time you will add equipment. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 11:35
Be aware that the BATFE considers anyone reloading and selling ammo to be an ammunition manufacturer - and you gotta have a license for that!

I doubt Hunterwingler is an ATF agent looking to bust someone, especially given how bad their recent operations have gone, but selling reloads puts the reloader in a very compromising position with the ATF.

Just FYI.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 12:12
This is a little crazy but why not the Lee_Loader Hand thing-a-majigger???

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/LEE-LOADER-308-WIN.html

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - June/25/2011 at 12:14
No one
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 08:03
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

This is a little crazy but why not the Lee_Loader Hand thing-a-majigger???

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/LEE-LOADER-308-WIN.html

Not "crazy" at all. They work fine.  I got a friend started yrs back with one of those kits for a .25-06 M700.  I'm using one right now in .45-70 with my SIL(he lives away so....).  We've got the casings sized (these kits neck size only) and ready to prime.  We'll be "cheating" some by using a Lee Priming Tool and a powder scale.  I also deburred the flash holes,trued up the primer pockets,and deburred the mouths (I'm going to use Wes's method next time).  One thing I'll mention is that the instructions don't mention lubing the casing .  I lube them.  So far so good.  In fact it's kinda fun just because it's so basic I guess.  I'm not sure how the crimping process will go but I've inquired and it seems you just take it slow and easy until you've got it right.  We've got a Rem factory round for comparison.  Don't know when we'll continue due to his work schedule.   
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic