OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to clean your Glock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to clean your Glock
    Posted: June/24/2011 at 09:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 11:35
Everybody knows the best way to clean a Glock is to just shower with it. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 14:02
Can't agree with ya Dale,us Smithy guys throw plastic toy guns away [:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 14:18
No, you put a Glock in the dishwasher. That's why they call it combat tupperware.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 23:43
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

No, you put a Glock in the dishwasher. That's why they call it combat tupperware.

Roll on Floor Laughing  Love that!!  Combat tupperware.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 01:37
My first handgun was a Glock.  Still have it.  Tens of thousands of rounds through it.  When I think how much I spent on ammo back then, I go a little pale.  Still, I have not had a single malfunction with that gun.  

I have been getting more and more into revolvers recently, but there is still a Glock under my pillow...

ILya
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2011 at 09:19
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

but there is still a Glock under my pillow...

ILya
YikesI hope that is just an expression.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

but there is still a Glock under my pillow...

ILya
YikesI hope that is just an expression.

Yes.  It is an expression of faith in Glock design Big Grin

ILya
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 01:47
Granted, the Glock is practically indestructible, and will probably out-last you.  However, the Glock design is over 20 years old, and needs work.  The trigger pull, which is an essential element of handgun accuracy, feels like you are raking gravel.  The reach to the trigger is too long for medium or small hands.  The fairly sharp trigger safety can do serious damage to a trigger finger in less than a box of shells.  Glock has stubbornly refused to come out with a flat backstrap for smaller hands, even though this has been available on the Colt 1911 for longer than I can remember.

A shooter's skills should be dedicated to putting the bullet hole in the right place.  A good handgun should not "bleed off" part of those skills to compensate for design flaws or outdated technology.

I've owned three Glock 23's (previously the Gen 1 and Gen 2, and currently the Gen 3), and have a medium-size hand.  I solved the trigger pull and reach problems by installing a Glockworx fulcrum trigger.  Expensive, but worth it.  The trigger safety is better, but still can hurt if the gun is shot too much in one session.  TruGlo tritium night sights were another worthwhile addition.  These two changes made my Gen 3 Glock 23 a worthwhile and accurate carry gun.  If they hadn't, I'd have ditched the Glock entirely in favor of another good revolver. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 01:59
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Granted, the Glock is practically indestructible, and will probably out-last you.  However, the Glock design is over 20 years old, and needs work.  The trigger pull, which is an essential element of handgun accuracy, feels like you are raking gravel.  The reach to the trigger is too long for medium or small hands.  The fairly sharp trigger safety can do serious damage to a trigger finger in less than a box of shells.  Glock has stubbornly refused to come out with a flat backstrap for smaller hands, even though this has been available on the Colt 1911 for longer than I can remember.

A shooter's skills should be dedicated to putting the bullet hole in the right place.  A good handgun should not "bleed off" part of those skills to compensate for design flaws or outdated technology.

I've owned three Glock 23's (previously the Gen 1 and Gen 2, and currently the Gen 3), and have a medium-size hand.  I solved the trigger pull and reach problems by installing a Glockworx fulcrum trigger.  Expensive, but worth it.  The trigger safety is better, but still can hurt if the gun is shot too much in one session.  TruGlo tritium night sights were another worthwhile addition.  These two changes made my Gen 3 Glock 23 a worthwhile and accurate carry gun.  If they hadn't, I'd have ditched the Glock entirely in favor of another good revolver. 

All good arguments, but kinda personal.

I have medium-sized hands (or even on the small side of medium) and standard frame Glocks fit me well (can't use the large frame ones, like Glock 21).

The trigger is predictable and has very quick reset, which I like.  Mine actually has a slightly modified trigger, which made it a little smoother, but heavier.  I am still undecided whether I truly like it.

Safety never gave me any problem.

Flat backstrap on the 1911 is one of the reasons I despise that gun.  It points all wrong for me (curved backstrap on the 1911 does help a little, but not completely.  1911 is one of the worst handling guns for me).

YMMV.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 10:30
curved backstraps are used to allow the palm to push  up the poi when the gun is shot from the hip., which with the flat back strap will usually have a lower poi with most shooters. This feature gains more importance with shooters  who impliment a "speed rock" in their defenisve piistol skills and also for users of attached lasers who tend to look over the gun rather than a traditional sight picture. Most trained shooters will loose about 3 to 5 % of their hit factor when switching between 1911's and glocks. Although this sounds like a lot, 5%reduction from an El Presidente done in 6 sec isn't much from a 6.5 sec. el presidente. The biggest problem are head shots past 25 yds with a glock. Some modifications that improve stock glocks are( besides commercial swap outs) are thinning the front sight, removal of the trigger guard hook, and smoothing of the area under the middle finger behind the trigger guard. Depending on how you feel about the necessity of the trigger safety, a great deal of its inconvenice can be removed with a small one sided file.
Yogi Bera

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 15:07
Ilya - I'm glad the stock Glock works for you.   As you correctly point out, "YMMV". Different things work for different people. That's why God (or L'Oreal) makes blondes, brunettes and redheads.   If you don't already have night sights on your "pillow gun", you might try them. They really make a difference in dim light.  

Dale - Very good (and very interesting) input!  A half-second is enough time for a good handgunner to draw, shoot and hit!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 15:40
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Ilya - I'm glad the stock Glock works for you.   As you correctly point out, "YMMV". Different things work for different people. That's why God (or L'Oreal) makes blondes, brunettes and redheads.   If you don't already have night sights on your "pillow gun", you might try them. They really make a difference in dim light.  

Dale - Very good (and very interesting) input!  A half-second is enough time for a good handgunner to draw, shoot and hit!

Spot on.  This really depends on what fits your specific hands, which is why I am taking Dale's claim of speed reduction with ton or so of salt.

I am not a competition shooter, so I claim no specific knowledge on the subject.  However, since everyone's hands are different and we are no longer in an age where everyone learned to shoot with a 1911, I suspect that 0.5 sec claim is bogus.  If 1911 with a curved backstrap points up for you, than flat backstrap will likely help.  However, if curved backstrap points a little low for me and flat backstrap points lower still....  well, you see where I am going with this.

Lastly, head shots beyond 25 yards with a handgun are so far down on the list of my concerns, I do not even know where to find it.  Heck, even the El Presidente drill mentioned above is done at 10 yards or so (I think).

ILya
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 16:50

I'm a glock fan. However, I keep going back and forth on my all time favorite handgun, round butt or square butt K-frame? In IDPA my first 6 shots are great, but they mark the calendar when I start the stage if it has a lot of reloading.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 17:09

I don't know how to resize the image with code?

http://womenofcaliber.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/glocks-in-the-dishwasher.jpg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 20:03
This OK?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 20:37

"standards" in IPSC etc. give insight into much more than numbers, especially when the same exercise is done accross a large segment of shooters and over a considerable time frame. For one it gives within hundreths of seconds how fast a particular group of hand functions can be performed,by the best, thus allowing people who want improve know where and at what points they need to improve. By the same token it allows a comparison of shooting platforms accross a series of accepted tests to find the best. Its not the test or gun (or add on's, lases etc.)  which determines the level, but the skill of the shooter. A class shooters  can take any handgun and "outperform"a C class shooter using the same gun for years. Shooters who haven't taken the effort to train with a routine or timer will always put the root at the gun, a better bullet, etc.

When 1911s (stock guns) are run against glocks (or springfields) A class and master class shooters their hit factors are not that different. Certainly the times between c class shooters will have a wider distribution. As an example,, upper shoulder strength will be a bigger factor than hand size, and correct technique can overcome both of these.
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic