OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Repeatable Clicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repeatable Clicks
    Posted: June/24/2011 at 05:47
Glad I found this forum. Here's my question. I am looking for a sub $300 scope in the 16x - 32x range that has repeatable clicks. I have a T24 mounted on a CF rifle that I don't want to take off.
I plan on shooting a .22 Tactical match with targets out to 200 yds. A .22 zero'd at 50 yds has about 55-60 inches of drop at 200 yds. I really don't care for mil-dot scopes.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 07:31
It has a mil-dot reticle in it, but is perfect for your application. They are tough as nails, very repeatable, and have plenty adjustment range for getting your .22 out to 200 yards. I highly doubt you can do better for $300

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 08:04
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really hate mil dots. Do you have any actual experience with this scope. I hear shooters all the time say this or that scope has very repeatable clicks, but they have no real experience with this or that scope. They are just repeating something they read on the internet. Not saying you don't - just wondering.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 08:24
cjd223, welcome to the OT! There aren't a lot of scopes that meet your criteria. About all I can think of that will give you reliable tracking in that price range are the 16 and 20X Super Snipers. I haven't used those two, but the SS 3-9, like all of them, tracked as well as a Nightforce for me.
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 08:58
Another item you may consider essential is adjustable objective, especially over the range of distance you will be shooting. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 09:14
Thanks Dale. I too noticed the SS scope did NOT have an AO. That would rule it out for me. I may just have to man up and buy another T24.
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 09:53
The fixed power SS scopes don't have an AO because they have a rear focus knob or side focus knob depending on which model you get. The 3-9 however doesn't have adjustable parallax. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 11:26
rear parallax adjustment is sort of ok, (its the cheapest way to put parallax on a scope)  have 3x9ss with rear adjustable on a NM m1A, SWFA's ffp 3x9 doesn't have parallax however. Also the glass on the earlier models isn't in the same league as their later models.  
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 11:47
The 6x, 10x, 16x, and 20x SS scopes all have a parrallax adjustment that will focus down to 10 yards.  I have had the 10x SS and used the 16x SS.  Both are very good scopes.  But if you are set on a non mil dot, take a look at Sightron Big Sky.  They have a 12x, 24x, and 36x fixed models with Target dots.  And they all have AO that focus down to 10 yards.  They do however have 1/8 moa adjustments.  Not sure if that is good or bad for your shooting.  http://swfa.com/Sightron-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescopes-C174.aspx?s=Name%20ASC&p=1

Edited by supertool73 - June/24/2011 at 11:49
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 18:36
Thanks ST, but they cost more than a T24.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 20:12
I know over your budget but just wondering how you feel about this scope as it looks pretty nice to me and had lots of internal adjustment  (150 MOA thats 150 inches at 100 yds thats huge) .
Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII20X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/24/2011 at 20:13

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 22:07
Way too expensive for me. Good scope though. Any thoughts on a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50? It has 100" of adjustment. Another thought is a Swift 6-18x44. Both are around $200.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 02:00
The only scopes I can think of that offer truly reliable knobs at this price range are the 16x42 and 20x42 Super Snipers. If this is all you can spend, I suggest you learn to get along with a mil-dot reticle.

They have parallax/image focus in the back of the main tube, right in front of the eyepiece.  It is a perfectly legitimate way of executing parallax correction.  I have heard a few remarks regarding it not being as effective as AO or Side Focus and it usually comes from people who do not know what they are talking about.  Any one of the three methods works fine if it properly executed.

If you are willing to extend your price range up to $400 or so, you can take a look at Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 which has 68MOA of adjustment range.  It will be a bit tight, but with proper mounting you might be able to make it work.

Another sub-$400 option is Hawke Sidewinder 30.  If memory serves me right, the 4.5-14x42 version has about 85MOA of adjustment range and 6.5-20x42 has about 75-80MOA of adjustment range.

ILya
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 06:06
I may just have to man up and get another T24. I know they work. I can get a new one for $350. I don't like mil dots at all. Will not own a scope with them. Sorry just my preference, but thanks for the suggestions.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 10:51
Originally posted by cjd223 cjd223 wrote:

I may just have to man up and get another T24. I know they work. I can get a new one for $350. I don't like mil dots at all. Will not own a scope with them. Sorry just my preference, but thanks for the suggestions.

Didn't you say you need 55-60MOA of elevation?

I am pretty certain T24 only has about 40MOA.

ILya
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 14:10
Seems like my old one has at least 60. I have had it for over 20 years. I do need to check the new ones before I order. Good point - thanks.
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 14:22
You are correct. They have 42 inches. My old one has .250" clicks. I see the new ones have .125". Hmmm. Guess I will have to keep looking or raise my $$$ limit. I just don't feel right paying more for a scope than the rifle costs.
I did see a used Leupold 25x40 for $400 today. Looked to be almost new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic