OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pride Fowler RR800-2 10x42 Riflescope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pride Fowler RR800-2 10x42 Riflescope
    Posted: June/24/2011 at 01:30
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 03:34
Thanks for the article koshkin, it's a great piece.  With seeing the sale on SWFA for these optics and never hearing of them before, it is nice to see some comparisons and reviews on them.

So the PFI uses a BDC reticle if I am reading that correctly.  What load is it set up for or is it a generic universal BDC like most of the other scopes out there?  If the military is using it I would imagine it to be set up for the M118LR.

I can understand and appreciate the 100yrd zero to be above center of the optic as most people who set up a rifle for long range shooting do not sight in at 100yrds.  Most that I know will sight in at 400 to 600yrds.  With that in mind and it appearing to be a BDC reticle than most of the reticle being used will be below the center cross hair and depending on range will be out of the reticle on a traditional set up.  With this it seems that it will keep it inside the reticle bringing longer range targets closer to the center of the optic.

I have used a Shepherd 6-18 on a .308 on human silhouettes out to 1200yrds but have never been able to hit anything beyond that with it.  I would love to see a comparison between the PFI and the Shepherd on silhouettes for ease of target acquisition and rapid firing from 300 to 800yrds each using the 3-9 scopes.

I do not know much about the science of optics or qualities of glass used, but based on the principles of the reticles in these two scopes, it seems like it would be a good comparison and match.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.      
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 18:49
Originally posted by Cody.e.Smith Cody.e.Smith wrote:

Thanks for the article koshkin, it's a great piece.  With seeing the sale on SWFA for these optics and never hearing of them before, it is nice to see some comparisons and reviews on them.

So the PFI uses a BDC reticle if I am reading that correctly.  What load is it set up for or is it a generic universal BDC like most of the other scopes out there?  If the military is using it I would imagine it to be set up for the M118LR.

I can understand and appreciate the 100yrd zero to be above center of the optic as most people who set up a rifle for long range shooting do not sight in at 100yrds.  Most that I know will sight in at 400 to 600yrds.  With that in mind and it appearing to be a BDC reticle than most of the reticle being used will be below the center cross hair and depending on range will be out of the reticle on a traditional set up.  With this it seems that it will keep it inside the reticle bringing longer range targets closer to the center of the optic.

I have used a Shepherd 6-18 on a .308 on human silhouettes out to 1200yrds but have never been able to hit anything beyond that with it.  I would love to see a comparison between the PFI and the Shepherd on silhouettes for ease of target acquisition and rapid firing from 300 to 800yrds each using the 3-9 scopes.

I do not know much about the science of optics or qualities of glass used, but based on the principles of the reticles in these two scopes, it seems like it would be a good comparison and match.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.      

I have never spent any time with Shepherd scopes beyond looking at them briefly at SHOT and losing most of my interest.

PFI's RR800 reticle is designed to be fairly close out to 800yards for any cartridge with BC in the 0.450 - 0.540 range and velocity in the ballpark of 2600 - 2700 fps.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic