OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightmark 3-9x42 Triple Duty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightmark 3-9x42 Triple Duty
    Posted: June/23/2011 at 14:29
So, I get my latest copy of "Whitetail Journal" and see that it has a 2011 "must-have" optics section.  And, I figure, since I 'must have" optics, why not check out the offerings.

I open up to page 70 and am intrigued Sightmark's description.

"With the new Sightmark 3-9x42 Riflescope, shooting will never be the same. The 3-9x42 riflescope has a wide range of magnification, making it ideal for fast-moving targets and quick target acquisition.  It has a 1/2-inch MOA and is manufactured using a unique straight tube construction, allowing it to fit on an AR one-piece mount, for use on AR15 rifles.  Other features include fully multi-coated, nitrogen-purged optics; unique locking turret system; hunting-style reticle; waterproof/ shock proof/  fog proof construction, and limited lifetime warranty.

1.  How will shooting never be the same?
2.  Is a 3X magnification range really "wide"?
3.  How is a 3X ideal for fast-moving targets?
4.  What is 1/2-inch MOA?
5.  Do non-unique straight tube construction methods forbid use of a 1-piece mount?
6.  Does this unique tube construction make the scope only usable on AR15 rifles?
7.  Is the scope multi-coated, nitrogen-purged or is the glass multi-coated, nitrogen-purged? Or both?
8.  What is a "hunting-style reticle"?
9.  If "waterproof" one word but "shock proof" 2 words? And "fog proof"?
10.  Who writes this crap?

I checked their web site too, for more nuggets of literary gold, and was rewarded with:

"The Sightmark® 3-9x42 Triple Duty riflescope uses cutting edge glass and lens coatings to ensure that it is the most accurate tactical instrument on the market."

" Locking mechanisms on the windage and elevation adjustments provide an additional level of accuracy and ensure that the scope stays zeroed."

Sightmark makes "the most accurate tactical instrument on the market"?  And how do locking windage and elevation turrets increase accuracy?  And what the hell is a "Front Diopter Adjustment"?

I've never owned a Sightmark, and never plan to; however, with this level of commitment to detail and integrity, it might just be worth putting one on - um - nothing.

Do people actually buy these things based on this gibberish?  It ain't as offensive as Countersniper's "over-run of a government-contract $5,000 scope" line, but it does wreak of air soft-ishness.

If you have $200 to spend on a scope, DO NOT buy a Sightmark Triple Duty 3-9x42.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 14:33
RC  admit it you were gonna get a Sightmark 3-9 Triple duty to hold you over until your SS 5-20 showed up
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 14:42
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

RC  admit it you were gonna get a Sightmark 3-9 Triple duty to hold you over until your SS 5-20 showed up

A man's gotta do...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 19:32
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

A man's gotta do...

They say the first step to recovery is admitting that there is a problem.  Smile 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 12:06
Sounds like a good scope to take out and shoot...

@
No one
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 14:34
We should make a thread dedicated to hilarious BS ad campaigns by crappy companies who have all their sh*te built in China. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 15:56
It may seem off to you, but you have no idea how often I get e-mailed about crap like this.  Often times it is from people who seem perfectly rational and are competent shooters and hunters.  It seems that big words have a hypnotizing effect on people for some reason.

Heck, I am still trying to get over Countersniper's bertrillium-zantitium.

Perhaps, during next SHOT show, I'll stop by five minutes before closing and make them wish those scopes of theirs had a lot fewer protrusions...

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic