OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-9 question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-9 question
    Posted: June/21/2011 at 14:54
Sorry if this is a repeated question, I couldn't find the answer through the other posts though I probably just over looked it.

I received my SS 3-9 yesterday.  This is the first SS scope I have ever had let alone looked through so I know nothing about them.  Looking through the data on the SWFA sight on the scopes most of them say they have a rear focus but it does not say anything for the 3-9.

So my question is, is this scope a fixed focus similar to the ACOG's?  Or am I just a complete idiot and totally missed the writing on the wall?

Thanks for the help. 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:04
Cody, if you mean is there a parallax adjustment? Then there is none, but the diopter for focusing the reticle is the locking ring on the eyepiece.
Reaction time is a factor...
Ben Diss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Diss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:32
Too bad about that.  With the new reticle I would get one in a sec if I could focus it.  Double bonus for a side focus.
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:39
Yes parallax is what I meant to say.  Sorry my brain isn't working today, it went on vacation without me.  I hope it picked someplace nice and warm with a great view. Cool

Ok so it is a fixed parallax scope than.  Given the quality of the glass on this I'm guessing I shouldn't have any problems with it until around 700yrds than.  Does that sound about right or is good for a longer or shorter distance?

Thank you for the response.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:52
Parallax is not as necessary on scopes under 10x.  Tons and tons of people use SS 3-9x scopes out to very long distances and say they are not seeing parallax errors.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:56
Originally posted by Ben Diss Ben Diss wrote:

Too bad about that.  With the new reticle I would get one in a sec if I could focus it.  Double bonus for a side focus.
  You can focus the reticle so I hope you don't mean that. But for any scope 10X or under on the high end fixed parallax is not a big deal. I've shot targets side by side @ 600 yards with my fixed parallax NF 2.5-10X32 and my Premier 3-15X50 with adjustable parallax set to 10X and didn't see much difference in results. Groups were a little better with the latter but that's also because the 24" barrel under it gives the same load 75 more fps, which helps a bit with wind.

I never shot the SS 3-9 past 300 yards but certainly felt there were no issues with it out at least that far. Sometimes I find having to adjust parallax at all to be a pain even in a scope with enough mag where it will have some effect.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Parallax is not as necessary on scopes under 10x.  Tons and tons of people use SS 3-9x scopes out to very long distances and say they are not seeing parallax errors.  

Glad to hear that people are taking them out to long distances without having parallax issues.  I hope to have my receiver parts back in time to mount this and test it out this weekend.  Around my house I only have an opening to look about 90yrds and comparing it to my Shepherd 6-18 with both on 6x the SS is just a little brighter and clearer but when setting both on 9x there is a huge difference on the clarity.

I was surprised to see how much brighter and clear the SS is at 9x than the Shepherd.  This was very surprising to me since my shepherd was always a much crisper image than the Leupold Mk4's that I had and used.  The Shepherd wasn't as bright as the Leupold but had a much more crisp image.

I may have to mount this on my entry gun just to play with it before the weekend.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Cody.e.Smith Cody.e.Smith wrote:

I may have to mount this on my entry gun just to play with it before the weekend.
if you do you won't want to take it offWink
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 16:34

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

if you do you won't want to take it offWink

LOL Big Smile

My entry gun is only a 7" barrel SBR.  I think a 3-9 would be a little over kill for it but it would make for a funny picture.  Might have to through on the harris bi-pod, SS with sunshade, the beta mag, surefire M3, TLR-2, and a FastFire to take a photo and post it here and label it Ultimate Tacti-Cool.  Dirty Harry
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 16:35
Don't for get to attach your blender as well, so you can make smoothies while you are out shooting.Bucky
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 16:45
Oh yes yes!  Can't forget the blender.  
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 17:51
Cody the glass on the SS is HD glass & that is the reason for the discrepency between the 2 scopes glass wise.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 19:26
I have tried about 5 times now to post a picture on here and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  Guess I will have to get some help from the girlfriend when she gets home.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 20:34
I don't think you get the ability to post pics until 50 posts... That's why there is a post count boost thread in the almost anything goes forum!Bucky
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 20:38
Want adjustable parallax get the 10x HD it has the rear focus parallax asjustment.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 20:53
Seeing that there isn't a HD anywhere in the name of the SS6x42 I assume it doesn't have the high definition glass.  Is there a big difference between the clarity on the HD models and the none HD models?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 20:54
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I don't think you get the ability to post pics until 50 posts... That's why there is a post count boost thread in the almost anything goes forum!Bucky

Smile thank you for the tip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 20:58

Seeing that there isn't a HD anywhere in the name of the SS6x42 I assume it doesn't have the high definition glass.  Is there a big difference between the clarity on the HD models and the none HD models?
Yes, but the glass on the original SS"s is completely serviceable. I have a rear-focus 10x and the glass is really good considering the price point. Another thing you don't get with those scopes is mil adjustments. 1/4 M.O.A. adjustments only. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 21:18
I don't mind the 1/4 MOA adjustments I'm used to those.  I figure that 6x would be a great addition to my .300 whisper if the glass was anywhere near as nice as the glass in the 3-9.  If not than I will just save up a few more penny's and get another 3-9.

What exactly do you mean by the glass is completely serviceable though?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 21:37
http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:10x42-riflescopes&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4
While it is not a review of the 6x42, it shares the same platform of the 10x being reviewed here. I am not a glass expert at all. So by completely serviceable, I mean that I have never missed a target because of the glass on my scope. Is there better? Sure, but it also cost more too. From what I have seen and read the 3-9 and the 10x H.D., are the best deals on high end glass going.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic