OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spend My Scope Money

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spend My Scope Money
    Posted: June/19/2011 at 20:27
I put this out on another forum, so I thought I'd see what you good folks have to say.  I'm going to re-scope my 7mag.  I hunt wide open country for muleys and whitetails.  I have killed deer dead at 428 yds, but seldom shoot past 350 or so anymore and that's not the norm.  I've used a 3-10x42 variable for years.  I am to the point in my life where I don't like problems with my gear.  With that in mind, I'm wanting either a Leupold FX3 6x42, or a S&B Summit 2.5-10x42.  I know there's a huge difference in $$$, but don't let that sway your opinions.  I'm looking for the pros and cons of each scope, especially from those with first hand, in the field experience.   Much appreciated. 
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 20:52
They are not even anywhere near comparable in any area. The S&B Summit is a ton better scope in every aspect. I'd never even consider a Leupold compared to a S&B. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 21:53
Buy both.   I have had the Leupold and I really like a 6X42 fixed power scope its really all you need.  I do wish the Competition Target model with adjustable knobs had the long range duplex reticle but That is the way I would go .

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 22:17
For the price of the S&B take a look @ the new Premier.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 23:36
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

There is no way I'd ever consider a Premier for a reason that I probably can't post about on here. I'd look on SnipersHide.com for a recent thread involving them and a retailer, and you will probably feel the same.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 06:07
+1 with the S&B Summit. Love mine...but I do wish they had more reticles to choose from.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 19:24
JGR,

I am also at the point where I want no gear problems and have come to appreciate simplicity.  I am seriously thinking about a 6x42 Leupold for my 7mm RM, and for my 6.5x55 Swede too.  I am also at the point where I am pretty sure I don't have to pay through the nose for good gear either.  I will not hold that the Leupold is in the optics class of the S&B.  It is however, from what I have seen, and in fact after owning a pile of Leupold scopes, I have never had one that was not up to the task of showing me what I needed to see.  The fixed mag has the simplicity of using a ballistic reticle of some sort without having to crank it to the moon to get it to work.  The high mag is not easy to hold steady as is 6x.  With one magnification, there is only one setting to have to use.  I also tend to use 6x (that's where I set all my variables) as sort of a shoot check.  Simply put ,if it looks too small at 6x, it is probably too far.  Also there is not the chance of having it cranked up to the max and getting the unexpected 10 yard chance. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 22:01
That pretty well sums up my feelings on the issue as well.  At first glance the FX vs Swaro seems like no contest, and like you said, optically it's probably true.   I'll go ahead and say it...my Swaro A variable developed a POI problem......my sub moa Tikka 7mag started spraying bullets high and right last season.  I appreciate your insight on it as well.  I've polled several known hunters/killers, including one guy you know as an outdoor writer on another forum, that all say the same things about the FX3.  Rock solid reliability, great optics, never had one fail to hold zero, great sight picture, etc.  The guys that have used the S&B say great things about it also, but the same fact keeps rising to the top, that being the proven reliability of that scope as compared to most any variable scope.  Fixed x scopes just have less problems.  This was further verified by a very well know custom gun maker, who said he'd never had one fail either, and found them far tougher than most any variable scope by any maker.  To be fair he also spoke very highly of the Summit.  I'm told by these same guys that killing game out to 450 or so is very doable, under the right conditions obviously, with the std duplex reticle.  I try to keep in mind that a deer at 600 yds looks like he's 100 yards away at 6x.  Not a big deal. 

On the subject of optics in the FX3.  One guy who has tested virtually every mainstream hunting scope told me that his 6x42 FX3 tested within one line of his 42mm Zeiss Diavari on his resolution chart in extensive testing.  That's saying something.  I haven't had a hunter yet tell me he couldn't get it done with a FX3.  All my variables remain on 6x as a standard also. 

Edited by JGRaider - June/20/2011 at 22:04
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 22:19
6x42 Competition Hunter  FX3

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 22:27
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope

Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/20/2011 at 22:27

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 22:27
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/20/2011 at 22:27

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 00:49
Originally posted by hometheaterman hometheaterman wrote:

There is no way I'd ever consider a Premier for a reason that I probably can't post about on here. I'd look on SnipersHide.com for a recent thread involving them and a retailer, and you will probably feel the same.
I read every post in that thread and talked to both parties (having done business with said retailer and having interacted with Premier. While it should have been handled differently (by all parties, including the distributor, which IMO was the worst) it is really harsh to condemn a company and its products for all time. To carry such logic forward, should Premier simply go out of business entirely because of a situation with one retailer?

JG, sorry to step on your post. And if you will permit me to add my two cents, I'd go with any decent variable. While the 6X will do fine in many situations, it can be nice to have more FOV for close-in shots. I mostly hunt with my 2.5-10 and leave it on 2.5 unless the animal is well over 100 yards away.
Reaction time is a factor...
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:14
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I read every post in that thread and talked to both parties (having done business with said retailer and having interacted with Premier. While it should have been handled differently (by all parties, including the distributor, which IMO was the worst) it is really harsh to condemn a company and its products for all time. To carry such logic forward, should Premier simply go out of business entirely because of a situation with one retailer?

JG, sorry to step on your post. And if you will permit me to add my two cents, I'd go with any decent variable. While the 6X will do fine in many situations, it can be nice to have more FOV for close-in shots. I mostly hunt with my 2.5-10 and leave it on 2.5 unless the animal is well over 100 yards away.
Premier won't go out of business as they get the same amount of money for the scope no matter what it's sold for. essentially what Premier is trying to do is price fixing not MAP. That particular dealer was selling Premier long before any of these other distributors came into the picture, and when Premier was having a rough time, they were there for them and selling them. Now that Premier has gotten built back up and no longer needed that dealer they just dumped them, when they really didn't even do anything wrong. They didn't advertise the price under what Premier wanted. They followed MAP policy and Premier still dropped them. Dealers can sell items for whatever prices they want, they just can't advertise scopes below a certain price, which this particular dealer didn't.

If this is how a company conducts business, I do not want to do business with them. In all honesty, it's more the "distributor" that Premier had step in and distribute their products, but Premier should have stepped in and done something about this. I also felt Premier should have dealt with this particular dealer personally not involving the distributor since this dealer was selling Premiers long before this "distributor" ever came into the picture. What Premier and their distributor ATI did is just a bunch of bull crap plain and simple, and it's not right at all. I'm not sure how anyone could justify what they did. After seeing that that's how they conduct business they won't get a penny from me. They could have the best scopes in the world for all I care, and I wouldn't deal with them, and I would advice anyone that asks me not to deal with them.

It's really something that you need to read for yourself though and then decide if you are willing to deal with them or not.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:34
There's definitely something to be said for the simplicity and reliability of a fixed power scope.  Although I typically prefer the flexibility of a variable, I have to admit, most of the time, my scopes stay set on 4 - 6X while deer hunting.  I can see the appeal of a good quality fixed power scope.  Not only are they mechanically simpler and less prone to POI changes, compared to a quality variable set at the same power, a good fixed power scope can provide as good or better image quality and certainly better light transmission for less cost.

My dilemma on the fixed power question is whether I like 4X or 6X better.  4X provides greater FOV and usually more compact size, whereas 6X gives you more reach in open country while still not being too much power for close range hunting.

I've heard nothing but praise for the Summit.  It's supposed to be essentially a Zenith but with 1" tube and much lower price.

The Leupold FX3 6X42 is a classic, rock solid hunting scope with a proven reputation.  You can't go wrong with it.

You can also find some great deals on used Swaro, Zeiss, Kahles, and S&B 6X42s, in many cases, for not much more than the Leupold (with the usual exception of the S&B 6X42, which is the only one of those still in production).
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 14:25
Thanks Ted, I was hoping you'd chime in.  You didn't make my decision any simpler though......Smile
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 15:13
If I was leaning more toward a fixed power scope, as it sounds like you may be doing, I'd personally look for a used Zeiss, Swaro, or Kahles 6X42 on one of the gun auction sites.  Sometimes you can find some exceptional deals on those scopes since they've been discontinued.  I recently bought a NIB Kahles 6X42 for about $50 more than what a Leupold FX3 6X42 costs.  There's certainly no flies on the FX3 6X42, though it's not quite in the same league as those 3 optically.  The key is whether you can find one of the Euro 6X42's, and how long you're willing to wait to find one.  The FX3 is a great scope at a good price, and you will never go wrong in choosing it, regardless of your budget.

The Summit is undoubtedly a fine scope, and if you're leaning toward a variable and can justify the cost, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better 1" tube scope on the planet.  I don't own one, but I do own a S&B Zenith, and the Summit reportedly equals the Zenith optically.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
357mag View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 357mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2011 at 10:47

Premier won't go out of business as they get the same amount of money for the scope no matter what it's sold for. essentially what Premier is trying to do is price fixing not MAP. That particular dealer was selling Premier long before any of these other distributors came into the picture, and when Premier was having a rough time, they were there for them and selling them. Now that Premier has gotten built back up and no longer needed that dealer they just dumped them, when they really didn't even do anything wrong. They didn't advertise the price under what Premier wanted. They followed MAP policy and Premier still dropped them. Dealers can sell items for whatever prices they want, they just can't advertise scopes below a certain price, which this particular dealer didn't.

If this is how a company conducts business, I do not want to do business with them. In all honesty, it's more the "distributor" that Premier had step in and distribute their products, but Premier should have stepped in and done something about this. I also felt Premier should have dealt with this particular dealer personally not involving the distributor since this dealer was selling Premiers long before this "distributor" ever came into the picture. What Premier and their distributor ATI did is just a bunch of bull crap plain and simple, and it's not right at all. I'm not sure how anyone could justify what they did. After seeing that that's how they conduct business they won't get a penny from me. They could have the best scopes in the world for all I care, and I wouldn't deal with them, and I would advice anyone that asks me not to deal with them.

It's really something that you need to read for yourself though and then decide if you are willing to deal with them or not.

You obviously did not read comprehend the distributor's or Premier's side of the story.  From what I recall they warned him several times and he continued to violate the agreement he signed.  He then lied about it and posted edited correspondence to make himself look better.

It is not just Premier or their distributor that has problems with this dealer.  Someone posted on 24HCF that he is on many manufacturer's "bad guy" list and they refuse to sell him and have even cut off distributors that sell to him.

Why not boycott every optic company out there expect IOR and Vortex.
I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2011 at 11:15
I've been pleased with what I have going on my 300 WSM I went from a 6x42 FX3 heavy duplex to a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44  with Rapid Z reticle. Shooting 190 SMK at about 2850fps with zero at 200 the line 3 is dead on at 6x and 7x at 300 and 10x puts the lines 4, 5, 6, on target at 400, 500 , 600 have not shot it past 600 yet but I have been workin with it.   On a second focal plane scope since field of view changes wide at low power to narrow at higher power and the reticle appears the same that causes what the lines of the reticle to represent to change.  So after running the Zeiss website balistic calculator I started shooting groups like 400 yds three shots at 8x three shots at 9x three shots at 10x and go examine the target to see where the group is to compare what the change in power means related to the reticle.  With adequate practice this allows one to be pretty deadly at several hundred yards without using target / tactical knobs to dial in correction. This scope has covered knobs so more suitable for hunting.
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 800 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214309972
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Mail-In $50 Rebate
$874.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/27/2011 at 11:15

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic