OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid-range Tactical: Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-range Tactical: Part 1
    Posted: June/19/2011 at 00:37
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 02:28
Good information-Thank You!
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 07:26
Concise, knowledgeable, and simply presented. 

Another a great read from you, Dark Lord.  Bow
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 08:39
Sorry Mark the Dark lord almost gave a thumbs up to your Nikon.   

Seriously, great info in that piece ILya. Thanks!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 09:44

Very nice write up ILya.

When can we expect your honest professional opinion on the SS 5x20?
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 14:17
Clear, useful  write up especially concerning the Vortex.  Now if they would put the Pride Rapid Reticle on the SS 5x20 at that sale price (the SFP for the varmint hunters) then I would dig deep.   Am looking forward to your reports on the new category of 2-12X scopes Wink
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 15:03
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Sorry Mark the Dark lord almost gave a thumbs up to your Nikon.   

Yeah, I saw that too, Mike! 
I knew that the Nikon was thrown in there just to round out the track! Wink 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 22:48
Another very informative write up .......Thanks again Ilya Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 01:34
Originally posted by FireEMT5 FireEMT5 wrote:

Very nice write up ILya.

When can we expect your honest professional opinion on the SS 5x20?

In the High End Tactical: Part 3.

However, I can give you a short version now: it kicks ass.

ILya
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 01:37
Sorry for the OT:
I just wish they offered the SS 5x20 with a MOA reticle-So much for wishing.
I have heard so much good about that optic, but I use MOA reticles the majority of the time.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 01:43
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Sorry for the OT:
I just wish they offered the SS 5x20 with a MOA reticle-So much for wishing.
I have heard so much good about that optic, but I use MOA reticles the majority of the time.

I suspect they are busy filling the orders they have for the current model.  Moving forward, if there is enough interest for the MOA version, I do not see why they would not make one.

Personally, I am more comfortable with mils, so that is what I stick with more often than not.

ILya
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 06:12
Maybe i am just not very picky about glass as I put a pst 2.5x10 on a hunting gun and think its very good.  Was making regular hits the other day on bowling pins at 600.  As much as i need and farther then I intend to shoot animals.  Thought the scope was clear and easy to pick good aim points on the pins.  Went back to 780 off of a make shift rest and all i did was scare the pins.  Still can't blame the scope.  Again i may just not be that picky, I really call on it to allow me to see my target clear and be able to put the bullet in the proper spot on my intended animal.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 09:32
Great reading, thanks for the write up.

Now I am late for work.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 09:49
Originally posted by bogey bogey wrote:

Maybe i am just not very picky about glass as I put a pst 2.5x10 on a hunting gun and think its very good.  Was making regular hits the other day on bowling pins at 600.  As much as i need and farther then I intend to shoot animals.  Thought the scope was clear and easy to pick good aim points on the pins.  Went back to 780 off of a make shift rest and all i did was scare the pins.  Still can't blame the scope.  Again i may just not be that picky, I really call on it to allow me to see my target clear and be able to put the bullet in the proper spot on my intended animal.

The best test of a scope is to see how it works for your application and with your eyes.

If the PST works well for you, then my take on it really should not matter much.

ILya
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 20:46
Excellent, I have thought that Nikon X was not as nice as the old Nikon Tactical maybe they are worth another look the Nikon Tactical used to be awesome to look through the first Monarch X I got my hands on couldn't hold a candle to it.

Do you know if they improved from the first version or generation of the Monarch X???

Could I have just gotten a bum production Monarch X (it was 2 or 3 years ago)...???

I am wondering what part 2 will yield with the SIGHTRON vs. the others.
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 21:25
Very Nice Thank You Ilya

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 10:48
Another awesome write up. Thanks Ilya!Excellent
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 15:31
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Excellent, I have thought that Nikon X was not as nice as the old Nikon Tactical maybe they are worth another look the Nikon Tactical used to be awesome to look through the first Monarch X I got my hands on couldn't hold a candle to it.

Do you know if they improved from the first version or generation of the Monarch X???

Could I have just gotten a bum production Monarch X (it was 2 or 3 years ago)...???

I am wondering what part 2 will yield with the SIGHTRON vs. the others.

I am not sure if there were any changes with Monarch X since their introduction.  This is the first time I did a thorough test on one.

As far as part 2 goes, I have not yet decided when I am going to do it or which scopes I should include.  I am always looking for suggestions on the scopes that would fit the second article.

I thought of the 3-9x42 SS with the new reticle and Sightron S3 3.5-20x44 with the new knobs.  What else do you think is worth including in the second article?

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic