OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics for DPMS LR308?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics for DPMS LR308?
    Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:52
I am trying to scope a newly purchased 24" LR308 AR. Looking for a scope that has as much adjustment as possible with decent glass. Trying to stay under $1000. I like Bushnell tactical ffp 6-24
but I don't think it offers the range I would like. I sure would appreciate it if anyone has any advice!
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 02:24

I have that scope with the illuminated reticle.  The glass is good and the adjustments work fine, but the illum isn't usable at night (too bright even at lowest setting).  I don't shoot long range, but I've read different things about what can be achieved with this and other scopes with limited adjustment ranges.  I've read that for .308 distances, you can get what you need from this scope and a 20 or 30 MOA base.  I've also read of people who can't quite get as far as they need.  Any idea how long you want to go?  The guys who shoot long range can tell you the practical (accurate) distance from your 24 inch barrel based on the velocity of the loads you'll be shooting and how much elevation you can squeeze out of this scope with a base to help you out, but I think you can get something with good glass and a lot more adjustment range for the price you mentioned.  I'd hold off on the Bushnell until you hear from some of them.  In the meantime, you might check out the group buy prices on the Super Sniper line and see if anything looks good to you there;  they will almost certainly be recommended by the crew here.

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 15:07
As you didn't give enough info besides the recommendations the penguin gave you,check out the SWFA Sample list,lots of great deals at very reasonable prices!

Info you might want to give us,distance you want to shoot,time of the day,type of shooting...paper,gong ,varment or ego & twist rate along with factory or hand loading!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 16:22
Just purchased the rifle on Friday, will probably be shooting long range target, as far as range I would like to get 800- 1000 yds if possible. I did purchase the Bushnell Elite tactical 6-24 FFP Illuminated. I could not passs on the deal (Sealed NIB for $585.00). I know that the Adjustment is limited so I will wait till the SS group buy reaches 10,000 likes and will probably sell this and buy the Super sniper. If not I will find a new home for it on another rifle. probably will shoot factory for a while (traded all my loading gear).
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 16:31
You should have ordered the Super Sniper 5-20 the last day for the deal was the 17 th now its full price there was a 30 day window of opportunity to use the snipers hide discount code.  The Bushnell is a nice scope but wont get you that kind of distance at this point I'd say you better look for a Zeiss with a Z1000 reticle probably on Samplelist

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 16:33
SPL13365 Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214509973, Matte, Rapid Z 1000, 1"
$799.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 16:53
I had a Bushnell 6-24, elevation range was very limited, and glass was a disappointment above about 15x.

Everyone wants to set up a 1000-yard gun, but the vast majority never shoot beyond 600-800 yards. I'd set the gun up for the shots you will be taking.

ARs in 308 are fun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 17:21
Minox 6-30x56 @$828.95 new at SWFA.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 18:24
I can't tell you how disapointed I was when I found out that the special on that scope expired. I found out yesterday or That would have been my first choice. Between working FT and going back to school FT I don't get much time to keep up with the latest deals. I appreciate your response, I think the Bushnell will have to do for now unless another "deal" comes  down the pipe. If I am not mistaken isnt there a Facebook 10,000 like deal in the works or did I miss out on that too?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 19:41
The deal was if they got to 5000 likes they got $500 off and if they got to 10,000 likes they got the $500 off plus free rings but it had to happen by the 17th and it made the 500 but not the 10,000. They have sold a boat load or two of them this is the kind of deal that I have never seen them do before. What follows is anyones guess if the past is any indicator within six months you will see an occasional one on Samplelist at a few hundred off on demo / used scopes. Even at $1499. it way cheaper than the Nightforce and other competition.  The new reticle in the 3-9x42 is pretty cool and while it is not as powerful of a scope it will certainly shoot to 1000 yds and has plenty of adjustment, I know I will have to have one of those before long also.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 21:51
I have the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24ffp according to the Manufacturer the range of adjustment is
48 in. @ 100 yds. / 1.2 m @ 100 m The dpms lr 308 has the high top rail . I was wondering if anyone can suggest a flat top base or rings that will work. I realize the limited range of adjustment but like rancid said I probably will never shoot further than 600yds. at paper. I can probably stretch it out by shooting ammo with flatter trajectory like the Hornady superformance.
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 23:23
I have a POF .308 that has a full-length rail that sits higher than most, don't know how it compares to the rail height on your rifle.  The Nightforce Unimount was suggested to me.  It comes with a 1.125" centerline or a 1.375" centerline, 20 MOA;  the lower one seems to be working well with a Trijicon 5-20x50.  I didn't find any lower centerlines on other one-piece mounts when I was looking.  Ring sets with 20 (and I think 30) MOA built in are also available from other companies if you prefer those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic