OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Maker ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maker ?
    Posted: June/18/2011 at 09:31
SmileHello,I'm a new member so please bare with me.I have a chance to buy a pair of Binocular brand binoculars,20x50 Night vision model.Any info. would be helpful,Price,Quality,ETC Thanks Dutchman.Cool 
IvanCavallazzi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanCavallazzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:39
Night vision devices don´t go at that magnification. (Usually it keeps between 1x - 4x)

Also a 20x magnification bino would need a tripod.

Be careful with those products that promise too much... even impossible things like 20x nightvision.

It will be easier if you give us the model.

Dutchman Ben View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 12:18
Big SmileHello,I believe Night vision is a model name not what it can do?I googled it but couldn't find it.Dutchman.Cool
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanCavallazzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 12:32
Either way. 20x50 is an unusual stat for a binocular.

It would need tripod and the view would probably be dim.

Considering the standard is 8x40 or 10x50.... that bino will get half the light but with the same aperture.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 14:04
I don't know that binocular either, but a 2.5mm exit pupil would be near useless at night, so I think the name is a bit misleading.  
-Matt
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by Dutchman Ben Dutchman Ben wrote:

SmileHello,I'm a new member so please bare with me.I have a chance to buy a pair of Binocular brand binoculars,20x50 Night vision model
 Dutchman.Cool 

Sometimes the term "Night Vision" is used, on the internet, as a SCAM to sell cheap binoculars, to unsuspecting consumers, at ridiculously high prices.  Say What

Who or What was the source of your advertisement/information?  
Dutchman Ben View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 17:10
Big SmileHello this is what the ad says.
  • *Binocular brand binoculars
  • 20x50 zoom binoculars
  • Includes cases and lens covers
  • There are scuff marks on some pieces On one of the pix i can see where it says Night vision.Like I said,It may be the style or model.They don't claim to be Night Vision.Your thoughts,Thanks Dutchman.Cool

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 17:53
Dutchman Ben,

Welcome to OT.  I would advise you stay away from these.  Far away...faaaaaaaaaaaaaar faaaaaaaaaaar awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.  Zoom binoculars are not as a rule much good because the infinite power magnification make it hard to make one that is solid enough to last.  Cheap ones are not much more than conversation pieces or maybe a paperweight.  If you get it don't expect much.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanCavallazzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 18:34
Better than the brand.... give us how much you want to spend with a binocular and what you want from it.

There are fair binoculars for very cheap costs.... from $100 to $2k.

I am positive that we can give you a good insight on a good bino.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 18:50

20x50 zoom binoculars

Your thoughts,Thanks Dutchman.Cool

Read this:

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 19:38
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Dutchman Ben,

Welcome to OT.  I would advise you stay away from these.  Far away...faaaaaaaaaaaaaar faaaaaaaaaaar awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.  Zoom binoculars are not as a rule much good because the infinite power magnification make it hard to make one that is solid enough to last.  Cheap ones are not much more than conversation pieces or maybe a paperweight.  If you get it don't expect much.

I could have sworn that I just read someones post recently that said that zoom binoculars were fantastic.  Big Smile

Here it is.  http://opticstalk.com/nikon-816x40-xl-zoom-binocular_topic29087.html
Big Smile

Edited by ckk1106 - June/18/2011 at 19:40
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 20:13
Coffee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 08:27

Binocular brand binoculars
20x50 zoom binoculars
Your thoughts,Thanks Dutchman.Cool

Actually, "20x50" does not indicate a zoom binocular.
There are different companies that have produced, or, still are producing "fixed magnification" binoculars of 20x50mm.
So, the ad is somewhat confusing.
As Steve has already implied, just stay far away from such advertisers and their questionable  products. Thumbs Down

Edited by Bird Watcher - June/19/2011 at 08:31
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 11:11
+2 stay far away.

Welcome to the OT! Listen to those how have the knowledge,thats why you came on board.........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 11:34
Maybe they have rare earth Bertrillium-Zantitium coatings.  Bandito
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Maybe they have rare earth Bertrillium-Zantitium coatings.  Bandito
Don't  those cause blindness?  Maybe it is migranes. Big Smile

Dutchman,
I did some google searching to see if I could find these things, but while I came up with lots of hits, nothing matched,  also none of the hits were for anything worth a hoot either.  I have the hunch you would be over payng at $10.00.

Edited by Klamath - June/19/2011 at 12:10
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 15:25
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Don't  those cause blindness?  Maybe it is migranes. Big Smile

http://www.opticstalk.com/is-this-place-for-real_topic11448_page4.html Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic