OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&B vs. Ziess Victory FL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idig4au Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&B vs. Ziess Victory FL
    Posted: June/18/2011 at 00:23
Hi All!

I've got my scope choice narrowed down between two models.  The only problem is that I can't compare them side by side to make the final selection.  So I am reaching out for some opinions in the hopes that somebody on this board has compared them side by side or can give me their opinion. 

Ziess 4x16-50mm Victory FL with the ballistic hunting turrents
S&B 4x16-50mm Precision Hunter

Between these two scopes, which one would you buy for a medium range hunting rifle application and more importantly why?  How does the glass and optical clarity compare?  Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 08:46
Welcome to the OT!

I have had a chance to compare the two but not for any length of time.I own the FL 4-16 for 6 months & find it to be top of the heap.The S&B is no slouch either.I don't think you can go wrong on either ,but the Zeiss does have a much better warrenty.

Just to throw a wrench into the cog,I know you said you were down to the final choice but I just received the new 3-15 Premier Light Tactical & so far I think its just edging out my FL.They do have a new Hunting scope with the same glass for $425 less.SWFA sells all 3 scopes with price matching and a very good return policy.

I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer you were looking for but the Premier is made in America & it rides with all the top shelf scopes on the PlanetAmerican Flag
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 09:50
I'm more familiar with S&B, but I would imagine they are both wonderful. Guess it comes down to personal preference. I'm sure the "pros from Dover" will soon chime in with their opinions. Another welcome heading your way. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Phoenix356 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:08
The only decieding factor should be what name sounds cooler to you.
idig4au View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idig4au Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 00:12
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Welcome to the OT!

Just to throw a wrench into the cog,I know you said you were down to the final choice but I just received the new 3-15 Premier Light Tactical & so far I think its just edging out my FL.They do have a new Hunting scope with the same glass for $425 less.SWFA sells all 3 scopes with price matching and a very good return policy.

You know, I haven't considered the Premier, but maybe I should.  I've heard some really good things about them, but I've never had the opportunity to spend any time behind one or even look through one.  Kind of hard to pull the trigger on something site unseen especially when it optics because it so objective.  I know a lot of people people like Nightforce, and when I looked through one, I wasn't impressed but that couldn't have just been my eyes or a bad scope.  I've looked through the S&B and the Ziess before, but never side by side.  Both looked awesome.

I probably can't go wrong with either one of them. Once you get at those price points, it seems like everything is good! 
ptalar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 13:33
I have the very Zeiss you are considering, but with an illuminated cross hair, and it is a very good scope.  I have the Hensoldt version of it also.  The Zeiss is geared toward hunting while the Hensoldt is geared for tactical applications.

If you are use to tactical scopes you may want to consider getting the turrets changed out on the Zeiss at the service center back east.  Otherwise they get the job done for hunting.  Also, the Zeiss is a second focal plane scope.  They have a Diavari that is First Focal Plane which actually costs less than the FL series, its a 3x12.  But it does not have the FL lens.  I was considering that also. But for hunting, second focal plane is ok.  I would rather have the better glass.  Somebody will probably chime in about the pros and cons of SFP and FFP scopes but for the average, non military Joe like me who plinks at the rifle range and goes on occassional hunts, it really does not matter.  I am not a sniper or professional assassin.  If you use mil-dots though you should get a FFP scope.  You lose mil dot accuarcy due to erector mechanism tolerances when the reticle is behind the erector lens system. 

If I had a complaint about the Zeiss it would be the elevation turret.  It has a 0 stop built in so when you complete one revolution of the turret you can't get any more elevation until you take the elevation turret apart and move the inner turret by pulling up and around the mating pin on the tube.   I did not like this so I pulled the pin out of the inner turret and I have much more elevation adjustment and the scope is much more user friendly.  Any scope where you have to take it apart to make basic adjustments like elevation is a bad design in my eyes.  The Night Force F1, a competing tactical scope I was considering over the FL Diavari has an illumination adjustment at one setting only. To change settings you have to take the battery out and adjust a special screw inside the scope.  This is another bad design. 

You don't find out about these little nuances until you actually have and use the scope since most are out of reach for most people and most stores don't keep them in stock to test drive first.
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 07:31
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Welcome to the OT!

I have had a chance to compare the two but not for any length of time.I own the FL 4-16 for 6 months & find it to be top of the heap.The S&B is no slouch either.I don't think you can go wrong on either ,but the Zeiss does have a much better warrenty.

I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer you were looking for but the Premier is made in America & it rides with all the top shelf scopes on the PlanetAmerican Flag

Did you get a chance to do a side by side between the Zeiss FL and Premier?
You said the Premier edges out the FL. Would that be non glass related? I'd be shocked if the Premier glass edged out the Zeiss.
Maine? Where's that?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 09:36
There is no wrong choice here.  To select you need to look through both. I prefer the reticle in the Zeiss  but you need to see what you like better.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 00:22
I did get a chance to compare the two,side by side.The glass was to close to call,it seems the FL had more resolution but the Premier was a tad britter all the way around..
FL also gave me a sense that the ret was floating[a great retical]
Premier turrets were hands down better[probably the best I,ve ever used] very silky smooth.Premier I feel  also had a more like tank made feel,even though they both weigh about the same[26ozs] & the lens caps are the best I've ever owned.

The problem I'm having is deciding which one I like better as they are like comparing apples to oranges.Zeiss is a SFP with rapid Z reticle non illum,Premier FFP mil dot illum reticle.The solution for me is to make the Zeiss  my hunting scope the Premier becomes the tactical scope.

I like them both very much & am blessed to own both.I know this is not a technical writing like Ilya or Jon or Trigger would give I'm just an average slub giving you my two cents about products that  I'm fortune to own & were recomended by several people on this and other sites.

SWFA does offer a very liberal return policy as long as you don't mount or mark up a scope,that is a good way for you to try your own comparrison.As you well know we all see very different things down range through a scope,ultimately your own eye is the only thing you should trust.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic