OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Downsides to cheap rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downsides to cheap rings?
    Posted: June/17/2011 at 23:42
So I've always read not to go with cheap rings, and I've used a few sets as well as a few sets of decent rings like the Burris Signature Zee rings and the Leupold rings. Obviously there is a huge difference. By cheap rings, I mean the package deal rings that come on guns, or the $7 Weavers they sell at Walmart. I've had screws strip out quite often on cheap aluminum rings, as well as them just feeling cheap. I even had a cheap set break when tightening them down. The screw pulled through the cheap aluminum. This stuff just doesn't happen with the decent rings.

However, I've also used several sets that have seemed to work fine. Once I get them tightened down they have held, if they have stripped out during the tightening process. I'm wondering if once anyone has had problems with them later on down the road after getting them installed, or if they don't strip out when installing them are they good to go?

Obviously if buying a set of rings, I'd not buy the cheap set or recommend them to anyone for the sheer fact that I've had such bad luck with the screws and screw holes. However, One of my guns had a set of these on there so I installed the scope in these rings. So far everything seems to work. I've actually switched several scopes on there and switched them out a few times with this particular set. I haven't had any problems until this time, I noticed one of the screws is starting to get the hex head stripped, so I'm not sure if it would tighten down many more times, but it is tight right now. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have issues from this, or if I should just leave them on there?
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 01:11
I grew up with my father always saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."  I believe that to be true with everything in life including firearms and their sighting systems.  I wouldn't spend a $100+ dollars on a set of rings or mounts for a stock plinking 10/22 but I also wouldn't get a set of $10 rings from the general store down the street.

If the weapon is getting used and abused those cheap rings are going to be the first thing to give way and it generally happens at the worst possible moment.  So I would say if the screws seem to be starting to strip out, get rid of them and get something that will last. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 09:01
Best bang for the buck rings[no pun intended] are 1 piece Tallies.$50 & good to go.This is just my 2cents. 

Edited by stickbow46 - June/18/2011 at 09:02
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 09:13

+1      As far as low priced rings go I've had very good luck with Leupold Rifleman series rings.  I've still got quite a few sets of old steel topped Weavers.   And although they can be a B to true up a reticle with their lows are the lowest I've found so far. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 09:48
Sounds like the cheap set you have have proven themselves worthy.  You said teh screw head was starting to strip or cam out.  That sounds more like over torquing or allen wrench mis-alignment.  I would at least replace the screws thought casue next time you might nor be able to get the screw out or re-torque it to spec on the next scope.  You should always use a torque wrench too, over-torque places extra strain on ring and scope.  You can even rack or warp the scope to the point the internals start binding.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 14:07
I think if they work, they work.

It just seems the more expensive rings work more consistently. 
-Matt
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 16:16
the better quality rings are more like to hold up under magnum fire and users who are not so gentle to there guns. Whether it be a ride in the truck, atv, a simple  fall/drop, or your occasional parachuting into enemy territory. 
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 09:11
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Best bang for the buck rings[no pun intended] are 1 piece Tallies.$50 & good to go.This is just my 2cents. 

Gotta agree with SB on this.Excellent
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 09:52
I have had cheap rings fail over time, when they started out working OK.

I have also seen cheap rings drift slowly over time making my POI change.  There have also been other problems over the years.

This is a game of playing the odds, really.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 10:36
Cheap rings pretty much ruined a hunt for me once...although I was truly happy for my buddy who got a monster buck. I bought them against my better judgment because it was just what the maker of a mount recommended. But you can't shoot with a reticle canted 7 degrees. I spent more on gas getting there and back so at least spend the $50 on the Talleys!

Good and great rings also mean the scope will more likely be properly aligned and not have any stress placed on the internals.
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 12:08

Just like anything else you get what you pay for.  I've used Leupold,Burris,(older)Millets,Weaver,B-Square,Talley,Ruger and can say I've never had a problem.  But I do chase the threads in all before using them and check alignment before I mount a scope.  All that being said,what astounds me most is how with the combined weight of the scope(and in some cases scope accessories)and bases those four 6-48 screws don't fail more often.  You really don't read very often about them failing.  To me they would be the weakest link in the scope and it's mounting assembly.  Then you also get into misaligned mounting holes in the receiver which I se mentioned more often than I think I should.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SharpShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 06:32
Seeing how you appear to already be worried about them, I would replace them with some quality rings just to have the peace of mind.  Shooting is a lot more fun when you don't have to wonder about if or when your equipment is going to fail you. 
I used a set of these on my .22 for over 9 years without a single problem.  Switched out the scope on that rifle 3 times in those things and then I switched the rings out for the 4th scope with some Signatures to get some extra MOA

For $25 they are some killer rings though.  And the regular Zee rings are even cheaper at $20 if you're using a Weaver or Picatinny base.  At that price, why not switch your current ones out for them? or for just a bit more go with some more Signatures like you said you've used.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 09:25
Originally posted by SharpShooter SharpShooter wrote:

Seeing how you appear to already be worried about them, I would replace them with some quality rings just to have the peace of mind.  Shooting is a lot more fun when you don't have to wonder about if or when your equipment is going to fail you. 

Amen!  Decent quality rings don't have to cost much anyway.  Factored over the many years you could possibly use the gun, spending a little more for good rings is pretty cheap insurance.  Why not stack the deck in your favor and try to eliminate as many entirely preventable causes of equipment failure as possible?  One day you may be leveling the crosshairs on the buck of a lifetime, and if your scope happened to get bumped off zero because of cheap ring construction, suddenly that $50 you saved on rings will seem very insignificant.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic