OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sporterized Mauser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sporterized Mauser
    Posted: June/16/2011 at 12:35
Since my dads passing, we've been cleaning out his house and I uncovered and old Mauser that I remember as a child.  It's in good condition (need to swab out the barrel and see how the bore really looks).  

I'm guessing  it's 7.62?  It's been sporterized and has 4or 5 round clip.

This on the left side of the action:

MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO 1891
DEUTESCHE WAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN
BERLIN

Anyone know about these...are they worth anything?   I'm guessing there are hundreds of thousands of them floating around....maybe an export version?
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 12:37
OOPS...it's 7.65MM
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 13:22
 I don't know much about them at all but found out a good bit here.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 13:46
That's the one...except for the cut off barrel/stock.  thanks for the link.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 14:23

Thunbs Up
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 21:18
Might have to clean it up and put a nice light weight low power scope on it. I don't big game hunt but you never know when you might need meat in the freezer.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 07:06

Here's the best deal going right now.  Was $275.

IF you could find a used 2.5x20mm  Leupold(still offered but $$) or Weaver they would make for a NICE set up.

Here's another option.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 14:08
Cool, I have an old 98 in 8mm and it shoots pretty good with just the military sights as it's in full battle dress and not drilled and tapped. We were ringing the 300yd gong with it pretty regularly a couple of weekends ago. The 7.65 is not a bad cartridge in it's own right and you can probably find some Privi Partizan ammo for it fairly easily as they seem to be supplying some of the older military cartridges again. You might want to have it checked out by a gunsmith if you have any doubts about it but I would imagine you're going to enjoy shooting that gun.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 02:03
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Cool, I have an old 98 in 8mm and it shoots pretty good with just the military sights as it's in full battle dress and not drilled and tapped. We were ringing the 300yd gong with it pretty regularly a couple of weekends ago. The 7.65 is not a bad cartridge in it's own right and you can probably find some Privi Partizan ammo for it fairly easily as they seem to be supplying some of the older military cartridges again. You might want to have it checked out by a gunsmith if you have any doubts about it but I would imagine you're going to enjoy shooting that gun.

I love to shoot iron sights and the sight on this old rifle is pretty neat.  Might have to plug away for a while and the 2-7X32 Viper for $149 sounds like a steal.  it's been fired and not cleaned so I hope the bore is still in good shape.  Hard to tell until I clean it.   I seem to recall that old ammo had corrosive primers?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 07:30
Model '91s were exceedingly well made and finely crafted rifles.
They had 2- stage triggers which responded to tweaking by skilled hands. Many Model 1891s had mismatched bolts which can lead to head- space issues. Inspect your fired brass...

At one time (they may still) Norma loaded factory ammo to about 1/2 way between .308 and .30-06 in power; 150gr. spire-points at 2920 fps.  About the only limit for loading is/was the bullet selection, which isn't as good as for .308 calibers, but you could say that about anything that isn't .308. There are 7.65 (.311-.313) bullets available from most major bullet makers- same diameter as used by .303 British and 7.7 Arisaka. If you can't find factory Boxer- primed brass to load, you can run .30-06 brass through 7.65 dies and trim to length and fire- form, remembering that you then have to reduce your powder charge due to less case capacity (thicker mil- spec brass). The case uses the same shell holder as .30-06 and uses large rifle primers.

You will have a hard time finding reloading information which will give you velocities anywhere near Norma factory speed, because the model 1891 is not considered as strong as later model '98 Mausers (and Argentine Modelo '09) and published data respects that fact. Norma N-201 is/was a great powder for that cartridge (if you can find it) with 150gr. spire point bullets.

If the iron sights are working well for you, then no problem.
It is possible to remove the rear sight and use the soldered- on sight base as a sort of holder for base/rings on which to mount a pistol scope in a "scout" configuration. I did that once and it made a very sleek rifle with a little 2X Leupold on top- instant sight acquisition. I used a Buehler dovetail base, if memory serves. It was a tight drop-in fit into the rifle's sight base and then drilled thru the 2 existing side/pivot holes on the sight housing and into the Buehler base, then tapped it and had a good solid mount. May have drilled a hole through the front, as well- that was over 30 yrs ago and can't remember. There is a commercial base on the market right now which does the same thing.
If you are wanting to add a standard  eye- relief scope with the receiver drilled and tapped, keep in mind  that Mausers can be tricky due to the safety mounted on the rear of the bolt and can cause clearance problems with the scope's eyepiece. There are aftermarket low- profile safeties which usually don't work that well.

Edited by Alan Robertson - June/18/2011 at 08:05
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 07:55
Noted last night that Grafs has ammo for under $20 for your rifle. I have used the privi and it shoots well in my rifle and the brass is reloadable if you are so inclined. the nice thing I like about grafs is their shipping rate is pretty reasonable as opposed to midway or cabelas. Get that thing swabbed out and let us know how it is.

Edited by powderburn - June/18/2011 at 07:56
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 08:56

+1 on that PP ammo.  All the posts I've read about it's performance,no matter what cartridge,has been positive.  I started out with their 9.3x62 ammo in my 98 Mauser (first time shooting the rifle). The target shows two things.  The good performance of the ammo and the consistant adjustments of the 2-7x32 Viper scope.

qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:12
I searched a few places last night and it looks like there is factory ammo available (Norma) but is probably limited in bullet selection....and the link that 300SW provided was very helpful  I want to see how I do with the iron sights and I will probably take it to a gunsmith friend and have him look it over.  I'm not set up to reload rifle ammo yet (only shotgun) but I hope to be doing that before the end of summer.  Thanks again to all of you for the good information.  Will keep you posted as to how it works out.  Now I just need to quit working so damn much and stay home for a day or two.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:28

GOOD LUCK!
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 10:59

Doesn't look too bad after collecting dust for over 30 years.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 11:27

"Doesn't look too bad after collecting dust for over 30 years."

You might say that!   NICE!

I'm thinking the drop in the comb on that stock may not be too conducive to scope use though.  I've got a Husqvarna with a comb not quite that low and FOR ME to get a good sight picture I have to slightly open my mouth when anchoring. I wonder what kind of modern aftermarket sights are available for it?
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 11:58
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

"Doesn't look too bad after collecting dust for over 30 years."

You might say that!   NICE!

I'm thinking the drop in the comb on that stock may not be too conducive to scope use though.  I've got a Husqvarna with a comb not quite that low and FOR ME to get a good sight picture I have to slightly open my mouth when anchoring. I wonder what kind of modern aftermarket sights are available for it?

Doesn't look like much room on the rear of the action for a mount...also pretty thin up there for drilling.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 13:28
Very nice ! thanks for the pics. Myself I still would promote shooting it as is for a while and see how you do. I'm betting you will be surprised and that you have yourself a pretty handy little deer rifle out to 200yds or so. I am pleased enough with my 98 that I wouldn't hesitate to take a whack at a deer at that range and there is no reason your rifle shouldn't do the same.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Very nice ! thanks for the pics. Myself I still would promote shooting it as is for a while and see how you do. I'm betting you will be surprised and that you have yourself a pretty handy little deer rifle out to 200yds or so. I am pleased enough with my 98 that I wouldn't hesitate to take a whack at a deer at that range and there is no reason your rifle shouldn't do the same.

That's my plan right now...I want to play with that iron sight and see just how good it can be.  I just hope the bore is in good shape...haven't run a brush through it yet.  As for deer...like I said I don't hunt big game but if the need comes up I usually have about 25 to pick from in my pasture.  Really, I could probably club one over the head with it as it walks by my pigeon coop so long range (anything over 150 yds) really wouldn't be necessary.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 14:37
Those 1891 Mausers are really nice rifles.  I would just leave it alone and shoot it.  The 7.65 Argentine is about the same power as a 300 Savage.  
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic