OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage MKII BV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Savage MKII BV
    Posted: June/14/2011 at 07:51
I just purchased a new MKII and need some help with selecting a scope.  The rifle will be used at the range (90% up to 100 yards) and to hunt small game.  I think I have narrowed it down to two scopes:

Weaver 3-9x32 Classic Rimfire - $229.00
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-9x32-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P3141.aspx

or the

Leupold 3-9x33 VX-II Rimfire E.F.R. - $399.95
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-II-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P3277.aspx

Is the Leupold that much better than the Weaver to justify the cost difference?  I have never owned a Leupold as I think I can get much better bang for my buck with other brands.

Are there any others that I should consider.  I bought this rifle to really work on my marksmanship fundamentals because the range I have access to is limited to 100 yards and for the cost of shooting.  Budget is up to $500 maybe more.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 09:48
For 400 bucks you could put a new Zeiss Conquest on there... Granted it doesn't have adjustable objective.

There are a lot of scopes in the price range between the two scopes you list with good glass and AO. I'd take that money to the sample list.
FreeJersey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeJersey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 10:06
For a little more a Sightron SII BS with adjustable Objective (10 yds to infinity) and 3-12 mag range. I have the 4-16 and it is alot of scope for the money.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 11:55
IMO, there is not much difference between the Weaver and the Loopie. The adjustable front A.O. may be beneficial. I'd definitely look at the Sightron Big Sky 3-9 x 36. For 100 yards and under, it would be hard to beat. Additionally, you could get any good quality tweener scope and have the parallax re-set to 50-60 yards. Cool
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 00:29
I have the Leupold 3-9EFR on my Volquartsen and I have no problems shooting at 100yds with it. And sometimes out to 200yds. But knowing what I know now I would probably get the Weaver you listed. The glass on the Leupold is not that great and it has coin slot W/E adjustments. I would how ever give the advantage to the Leupold with the fine duplex reticule over the Weaver duplex. I prefer a fine duplex for target shooting. But it can be more difficult to use for hunting. 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 14:10
Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to give the Weaver a try and potentially upgrade in the future.  Now I have to figure out what rings and bases.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 10:39

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Quad
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Quad
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

+1              Super
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:24
With the SS would parallax be an issue?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:26

how close are you wanting to shoot?  I have looked, not shot, at objects with mine at some farily close distances (less than 20yds) but never on anything over 3-5X

Edited by SVT_Tactical - June/16/2011 at 11:27
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:33
10 to 50 yards, I plan on hunting squirrels with it.  I have always wanted a SS, but since the only range around here I have access to is only 100 yards, I figured it would be a waste of the scopes potential, but maybe on a 22 I could finally learn how to use the Mildot system.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 12:42
You could get the fixed SS 6x.  The parallax focus's down to 10 yards.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 12:54
I thought about the fixed 6x, like I said earlier, I really want a SS and may just have to bite the bullet and buy one.  If I were to get the 6x, what would be the best mounting method?  EGW rail and SS Medium Rings?
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 16:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

You could get the fixed SS 6x.  The parallax focus's down to 10 yards.

I didn't realize those SS models have adjustable parallax... That 6x would be a fantastic rimfire scope. I should really pull my head out of "the sand" and look around now and then.

I have a craptacular scope on my Marlin 60. Of course it requires a special logic to put a 300 dollar scope on a 150 dollar gun. It is a shooter though, even with the 17lb trigger pull.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 17:10
CP,if this is not tactical style why not go with the one piece Talley's.I know picatinney looks cool  but you do raise the scope that much more over the barrel.I have the BVSS with a SS10x.The 6x is probably a better match but I do get down to 10yrds.I normally shoot minumum 55yds so it works ok for me.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 17:28
I would go with the one piece Talley's, but I couldn't find them for MKII.  I decided to go with the Weaver using Warne bases and rings.  I am probably going to get the SS6x and put it on my 7mm-08 once I get it back from the gun smith.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 21:21
Very good choice!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 21:40

Thanks, looking foward to breaking the rifle in.

cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 17:15
OTOH you could just put a sub $50 Tasco Golden Antler 3x9 on the Savage and save a ton of money. If most of your shooting is 100 yds or less why spend your money on scopes that cost way more than your Savage?
cjd223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjd223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2011 at 17:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic