OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

223 BDC style Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRMan03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 223 BDC style Scope
    Posted: June/13/2011 at 21:43
I just purchased a new Colt HBAR Match rifle. I am looking for a scope with a 223 BDC built in. I have a flat top receiver so not going to be mounted on the carry handle. I would like suggests from people much smarter than I on a good scope for this rifle. All prices and manafactures will be considered. I am asking for your time and help because I do not have the answers. I have been around guns and scopes for over 40 years but I am new to the AR package with scope. When I carried them we just used open sights. My new gun has 20" Match Grade Barrel. This is a good rifle so I wanty a good optics package. I am thinking of using Leupold  PRW rings. All answers appreciated.
Nevets Yehcir
RRMan03 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRMan03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 11:05
Bought a Nikon 2X8 223 BDC off the Sample Board. Should be all I need. also got QR mounts so I can move it from gun to gun itf i want. I will let you know if I made a good choice. May have went to cheap on the scope. We shall see.
Nevets Yehcir
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 11:18

I would look at the SS 1-4.  Then get a set of speed dials from Kenton industries made up.  Far better setup than BDC reticles, IMO

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 11:23
IOR has a 4x that has 223 BDC knobs.  Set for a 20" barrel and 55 fmjs.  I have used one for 5 or so years and it has been a very good scope for me.  Good glass, extremely durable. 

But the SS 1-4x is a better scope IMO. 

Edited by supertool73 - June/14/2011 at 11:23
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 11:50
Another opition would be the SS 3x9 Mil/Mil in a QD mount.  It would require a little more work on your end to figure out your drops, but in my humble opinion, worth it.  Most BDC reticles are specific to one load.  If you are like the rest of us, you'll play around with different loads, bulltets, etc., until you find one that your gun likes.

If you are like me and others and feed your .223 other bullets than what your BDC is calibrated to, you end up compensating for those other bullet weights.   Why not just do this from the start for everything?

With practice and a log book or just a small pocket note book, you can have all your different drops and just dial the scope for that bullet, instead of looking through a BDC and having to remember what different bullets do.

Just another option to consider.  There are several ways to skin a cat.
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 12:11

Vortex Razor HD 1-4 with EBR-556 Reticle

Edited by Midwest_Hunter - June/14/2011 at 12:13
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 12:58
Nikon (M-223) and Leupold Mk-AR lines are both .223 and AR specific scopes.
They may be worth checking out.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 10:22

These are going pretty fast they are awesome glass and the Zeiss website has a balistic calculator to help you. The scope can be used with any caliber of rifle it is not specific to a .223 so if you find that you prefer open sights or a red dot later the scope could be moved to another hunting rifle.

SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95
My preference for AR15 mounts is La Rue tactical mount first choice with BOBRO and GG&G a close second howeve they are in the two hundred dollar range and the SWFA mount is a bargain and positions the scope forward so you can get to the charging handle. Standard ultra high rings dont position the scope forward where it needs to be.
Honestly the scope I use for my rifle is a compact ACOG 3x with red illuminated crosshair it is small and compact and the trajectory of a .223 is fairly flat out to 300 yds at which time I am looking for a heavier caliber rifle.  I run this scope with a La Rue  RCO mount and like it better than any other choice and I have tried several styles of dots and tactical scopes.
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 10:30
Other popular AR scopes are :
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95
SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD14X24T
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Post/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
  • Exposed Turrets
  • Submersible
  • Operating Temp. -5 - 160 Fahrenheit
  • 23 mils of total travel
$799.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Quad
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Tactical knobs where you dial in correction is a more reliable system usually than balistic reticles as it works at all powers where BDC  reticles are typically most user friendly at only one specific power.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 22:32
Is the SWFA SSALT mount back in stock????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic