OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First post.. ILya.. LAPUASLAP... Frustration!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First post.. ILya.. LAPUASLAP... Frustration!
    Posted: June/12/2011 at 18:59

Hi, I've been lurking for six months or more and joined a couple months back. All of you guys are informative and very funny as well at times.

ILya, your reviews are superb, thank you and keep them coming please. I'd love to see one on a Viper PST 6x24x50 MOA reticle. Dying for a real world report on the glass in those. I've heard about the 4-16's glass. 

LAPUASLAP, Your review of the Sightron 6x24x50 has just about made up my mind on what to put on my .223. No one around here carries Sightron or Vortex. They can order them.

A little background. Ive been shooting and hunting for over thirty years. I've been a backyard astronomer for about fifteen to twenty years. I've used and owned some very fine optics over the years, just never any top notch riflescopes. I "used" to own a 4.5x14x40 Nikon Monarch purchased in 2001 but was forced to sell off most everthing when I was Diagnosed with COPD in 08. Back on my feet again, can't hunt except groundhogs, foxes, a little coyote hunting and lots of paper punchin.

So I need to glass my two current rifles and I'm frustrated. I know I want everything for nothin but who doesn't. The first rifle is a Ruger Target/Varmint laminated,stainless in .223. I've shot factory loads through it with the junker scope I have lying around and it has excellent potential.

The budget for this scope just keeps growing. I started wanting a Nikon 6x24x44onarch but after reading the specs, 30 MOA adj. and reading posts about the glass I checked out several Nikons for myself at the local shop and above 20x yellow tint and hazy. I did focus the reticle before making my observations. I like tactical knobs, repeatability in adjustment and great glass. Zero stops,illumintated reticles and other nice features are ok but not required. I thought about the Weaver tacticals but the adjustments on those is about 50 MOA unless you get the EMDR which is 100 MOA and 1K street price. So this leaves me with the Viper PST 6x24x50 with MOA reticle and the SIII 6x24x50 MOA reticle. Viper is about $100 less but is the glass "close" to the SIII? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

The second rifle I use more than any other. It's a Savage 93R17 BVTLSS Lefthanded, stainless bull barrel, laminated, thumbhole stock and it's a little tack driver. Budget on this one is $500. 16-24x magnification, and again I'd "like" to have tactical knobs on this one but target knobs at the least. Any advice with firsthand experience would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks guys,
Andrew
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 22:10
Welcome to the OT.  You can purchase from the sponsor of this forum, SWFA.  www.swfa.com.  ... best deals around. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 23:05

Kickboxer,

I know and I certainly plan on doing that. I was only pointing out that I can't get my hands on a Sightron or Vortex to evlaluate it firsthand.

Thanks,
Andrew
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 23:21
Andrew, that is always a problem.  It is difficult to choose when scopes cannot be observed side by side.  However, short of that, I would trust Koshkin's reviews and 338's assessment.  JonA has also provided some excellent outlooks.  SWFA also has an excellent return policy as long as the scope is not mounted...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 00:29
I do not own a Viper (I have a Razor HD, but have not used it a lot yet), but have been using a SIII 6-24 for several years now-Great scope for the money.  Has handled everything with ease up to a 375 Chey-Tac
Looking forward to the MOA version reticle.
I would trust the judgement of the men listed earlier.
E
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 07:12
Welcome to the OT!

I live in the mountains and as such I'm in the same situation as you,I have purchased at least 3 scopes off this site on reviews done by both in the know[Ilya,Jon& RC to name a few]& also the good group at SWFA.I have never been disappointed or sorry for my purchase.As said above they also have a great return policy as well as a match pricing.

You can also check out Ilya's site the Optics Thoughts which by the way has to be the most informative thing around concerning scope reviws & scope tech.& test.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 12:02
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE4164
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HD
  • Semi-Target Turrets
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Free Rain Suit Coupon
$449.99
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII16X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95   More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII20X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/13/2011 at 12:05

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 12:11
SPL12830 Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214509943, Matte, Mil-Dot, 1"
$849.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 14:34
I moved the thread into the proper forum.

For the Savage rimfire, I think your best bet for this one is either 6.5-20x44 or 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper.  Sightron S2 Big Sky also has several interesting options that would work.  However, they are a touch more expensive.

For the 223, Sightron S3 is about as good as you'll get for under $1k these days.  Vortex Viper is very respectable, but not quite as good at high magnification.

Now, these are all SFP scopes.

If you are looking for a FFP design, right now you can get a 5-20x50 Super Sniper for $1000 with Snipershide discount.  That is a hell of a deal.

ILya
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 17:53
Thank you to all who replied. It is much appreciated.

ILya, the Viper's are the leaders in the clubhouse for my plinker but I may step up to a Big Sky. I had been considering both along with the 20x42 SIII fixed power but I want a variable. There will be some shorter shots from time to time.

I just needed you all to confirm for me what I had been considering.

I'll  let you know how it turns out. Should order a scope for the Savage first week in July. I can't wait to get that Simmons 8 point 3x9x40 off of my Savage. Prolly gonna be a couple of months on the one for the .223

Thanks again to all,
Andrew
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 21:28
I second the VORTEX for the smaller caliber Savage and Sightron SIII for the .223
I think you will love the glass and the turrets, I wish I would have found Sightron SIII earlier I could have saved a lot of money.  I wish I did not speak from the experience of getting rid of more expensive glass losing money just to find Sightron is a Player that is well under-rated, and under-priced- don't tell them that though...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - June/16/2011 at 21:32
No one
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 17:34
Thanks for the reply, I trust your opinion very much. Gonna order the scope in about two weeks.
98% decided it'll be a 6.5x20x50 Viper. One more question, how's the tracking on the Vortex Viper line? Dependable and repeatable?
Andrew
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2011 at 22:07
I have not used it all (the elevation I have maybe used 2/3's of what is available) yet I usually do. I have had no issues. I had so much confidence in it I just took it out of the box zeroed it got my quick target data dialed it in and pulled the trigger and was making hits with 1/1 precision and repeatability.
No one
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 00:35
Well that's damned dependable in my book. SOLD! Range report to come in a few weeks.

Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic