OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30 Rem AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Rem AR
    Posted: June/10/2011 at 21:28
I have been thinking about getting a different upper for my AR-15 to do some big game hunting with.  Any thoughts on the 30 Rem AR?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 21:01

Define big game?  I'm using a 450 bushmaster and love it. 

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 21:12
Deer, antelope, hogs if I ever get to Texas to hunt them.  I have thought about 6.8, 6.5 or 30.  For some reason, I kinda like the idea of a 30.

Edited by helo18 - June/12/2011 at 21:25

GEORGE WASHINGTON
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 00:22
I think I would go 6.5. But  that's because of the long-range ballistics of that round. The 30 Rem would be kinda cool too though, especially if you decide to suppress it later. From what I have read on it, it is very close to the 300 black-ops, and should be pretty easy to work up a sub-sonic load.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 07:15

I still think get a "big" bore, they are FUN! lol  and out to 200-250 yards plenty accurate.  I've gotten a 2" group with my SS 1-4 at 200 yards on my 450 a few weeks ago.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 11:15
I know very little about the 30 Rem, but I can say with confidence that the 6.8 is NOT a big game round.  And it isn't a long-range round.

Are you trying to stay on an AR15 platform?  Any interest in going to an AR10?

What will be the max range of the rifle in a hunting situation?

I've taken a few large hogs with a 6.8, but it is all about round placement.  I won't even consider a 6.8 on an elk hunt.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 12:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I know very little about the 30 Rem, but I can say with confidence that the 6.8 is NOT a big game round.  And it isn't a long-range round.
I won't even consider a 6.8 on an elk hunt.

Agree on the last 2 points, but how so on the first?  It's more than adequate for deer sized big game at moderate range.  It's no long range round, but with very few exceptions for specialized ARs, I don't consider them to be good long range tools to begin with compared to a good bolt action.  I've killed quite a few pigs with my 6.8 w/ 110 Accubond, and it dropped them all like a bad habit.  A decent sized pig is tougher than any deer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 12:28
Have any of you tried the 6.5 Creedmore?   The 458 Socom certainly sounds interesting but I just dont think an AR platform makes for a very user friendly hunting rifle.  In an AR-10 platform they are bulky and can be a lot heavier than a bolt gun.  For what an upper cost you can have a nice bolt gun. Even the strongest AR cartridges are no match for a 300 WM much less a 338 WM or 375 H&H.  Even the 458 socom isnt near as appealing to me as a marlin stainless guide gun in 45-70 but I already load that for my hand cannon.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/13/2011 at 12:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 15:06
Ted, sorry, I should have clarified: I do not consider deer (white tail, at least) to be "big game.  

My 6.8 is great on deer (white tail) and all have gone down to a well-placed round (I like the 95-gr TTSX and have put a few 110-gr Noslers into animals.)  The big hog I took 2 years ago required 7 "pretty well placed" rounds from my 6.8, that took a little starch outta me - to borrow from True Grit.

Wes, agreed on the AR not being, in many respects, an ideal hunting rifle.  If one wants a semi auto with 20+ rounds on hand, there is little doubt the AR is the best of very few options.  If one well-placed round (possibly 2) is the end of the hunt, there is no cause for an AR - and many great arguments against it.

For hogs, ARs are great; for serious game, I don't reach for an AR.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 21:18
I am not intending to use it on elk.  Just deer (mule and whitetail) out to maybe 200 yards, but probably closer.

I like 30 cals and thought maybe a 30 AR would be fun.  Maybe good for speedgoats, deer and hogs if I get the chance.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 09:41
At less than 200 yards and on animals less than 250- pounds or so, you should be good.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 10:10
The 6.8 with 110 grain bullets, is very similar to the energy a 100 grain .243.  Which in my opinion is an excellent deer and smaller game round. 

I would have no reservations on using a 6.8 out to 300 yards are deer and smaller game.

I have no experience with the 30 AR though, but I am sure it would be similar.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2011 at 14:03
I have tossed around the idea of a 6.8 as well, but I think I may give the 30 AR a try though.  Just for fun.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 00:03
I don't know anything about the 30 Rem and very little about the 6.8 but I have used the .300 whisper on an AR platform a lot.  

I live in NW Wisconsin and have taken a few large (around 175-200lb) white tail bucks with both super and sub sonic rounds with it.  Most were less than 50 yard shots and 1 was just shy of 100 yards.  The super sonic loads were 110gr V-Max and Barnes TSX 130gr and the subsonic loads were all 240gr SMK.

All three of these rounds have been very effective in taking deer down.  On one deer hunt 2 years ago I loaned this rifle to a friend of mine since he was going to do a drive through heavy brush.  He was loaded up with the 240gr SMK's and stirred up a wild feral hog that charged him so he shot it.  He dropped the hog from about 15-20 yards with a single shot with the subsonic load.  We were all surprised by this to begin with, but amazed when the hog dressed out at 200lbs.

None of us thought that this round would drop that large of a hog with ease but it proved very effective.  I don't know much about wild feral hogs but from what I have read and heard, they don't go down very easy.  

For me, I love a .30 AR platform.  Recoil is basically non existent, accuracy has been great, and the ability to take down various pray has been superb.  Suppressing the rifle transforms it from fun to shoot to an absolute joy and blast to shoot.

I wold not call it a big game gun by any means, but at the same time I would never have thought it would bring down a 200lb + hog.

Good luck and enjoy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 06:17
I am thinking of doing an AR with a .243 Win barrel on a Stag Arms lefty upper receiver.     
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2011 at 07:17
I thought I heard you say you were done with ARs, Mark?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 12:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I thought I heard you say you were done with ARs, Mark?

Yeah, I know. I'd like to build one in a left handed configuration some day though. 
Might just say heck with it and get a FNAR and be done with it.  
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 20:57
Thanks for all the replies.  I have a 30 Rem upper and ammo on the way to play with.  See what I think.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic