OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

your experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your experience
    Posted: January/12/2006 at 21:20

This happens to be a non optics related question. What kind of cleaning rods do you guys use on your rifles. Any opinions on Dewey, Proshot or Tetra versions. I value your expertise and knowledge on all things shooting related. Thanks, samuel

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2006 at 21:40
The Tetra rod has a finish on it that comes off very quickly and I would never recommend that one. The Dewey rods and if you can find the Parker Hale rods are the best, in my opinion. They have very durable finishes that are unaffected by harsh chemicals such as Sweets and Barnes CR-10. Can't help you with the Proshot rod.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 06:12
I use Dewey rods. I like them....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 07:18
Stoney Point bore guide & Dewey cleaning rods
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Stoney Point bore guide & Dewey cleaning rods

Me too.
I forgot to mention the importance of a good guide rod.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 07:49
Dewey rods and Sinclair pierce style jags.  I use mine enough I got tired of changing jags and have a rod for all my calibers.  Their pistol rods are great, too.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 11:05
Most importantly is a rod that doesn't flex, if it does it will wear the the rifling at the flex point in the barrel particularly at the end of chamber at the start of the rifling. Rod guides come in here and are designed to stop this from happening. Most if not all graphites fail miserably here. I prefer the strongest stainless steel I can get. Brass is the next best, and although it flexs somewhat, the brass is much softer than the barrel steel and will not abraid it. Snakes as such will not give adequate cleaning. More important is the type of brushes. As far as name brands Deweys are unbeatable.
samuel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 21:26
Thanks for the info fellas. Think I'll get a Dewey and a rod guide. samuel
StreetRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreetRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 22:58
I second the Dewey.  I tried some of the fiberglass rods and don't like them as much as the Dewey coated rods.
The old ghillie's maxim...
"Stalk as close as ye kin, laddie - then git ten paces closer!"
STINGER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STINGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2006 at 01:07
i like the solid carbon fiber rods from (competitor). i started using dewey rods years ago and still like them also. but i have worn the coating off of two of them. so i went to the carbon fiber types.
PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS. I AM HANDICAPPED AND ONLY HAVE ONE HAND TO TYPE WITH.
NRA LIFE MEMBER 1965
MINOT (MINDROT) NORTH DAKOTA
HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR, BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.
HAPPY TRAILS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic