OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage EGW 1 Piece Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338WINMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage EGW 1 Piece Mount
    Posted: June/08/2011 at 19:57
Who would think you wold need instructions to screw in 4 little screw for a scope mount..

Well only if there are no instructions in 2 packages and the mount comes with 2 sets of screws. 2 long screws and 2 short?

No matter how I test to see what fits btter, I cant tell.

Anyone know why there are 2 short screws and 2 long screws? 
FYI - The leupold bases I removed had same size screws...
338WINMAG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338WINMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 20:16
Well you get what you pay for sometimes.
The small screws have to be on in the inside holes otherwise you cannot cycle and close the bolt.

Unfortunately, even with correct tools and applying exactly 20 # torque as directed by EGW, one screw is now rounded. I guess if I ever have to remove it, I will have a task.

After this experience, my super strong recommendation is to stay away from EGW. Pay the extra $15.00 and get a quality product.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 20:24
I had no problems with mine.No striped screws. I knew about the long and short screws from the bases I had replaced. No instructions in them either trial and error on my part.

Edited by 308 Sav - June/08/2011 at 20:25
Gerald Baker
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 20:36
Moved this to the "Mounts" section.

For what it is worth I mounted a couple of EGW bases and had not problems.

As I recall, which screws go where was fairly self-explanatory, but it has been a while.

ILya
338WINMAG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338WINMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 20:53
"which screws go where was fairly self-explanatory"

The bolt closure was off just maybe 3/8". Perhaps my bad for not cycling.

I guess using Leupold for almost every rifle, I missed the self explanatory part.  Also, my Leupold mounts that I removed had the same short screws that recessed the exact same and not one screw ever rounded. I can't say I have mounted over 100 scopes but I got a darn good run at it and have never rounded one, till now.

I must have missed the memo. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 21:23
One in 400 odds isnt that bad. Hang in there.    (100 scopes at least 4 screws per)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338WINMAG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338WINMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 21:26
"One in 400 odds isnt that bad. Hang in there."

Okay the evening was going south.... but you made me laugh out loud and smile.
Excellent reply!
Thanks Friend :):)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 07:25
EGW will send you new screws.  I stripped one once removing it, they happily sent me a new set free of charge, call thim this A.M.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 07:52
I have EGW steel rails on most of my rifles and have never had any mounting problems whatsoever.  Love 'em.  Good prices, very competitive, great "fit"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 07:52
Are you saying EGW is all screwed upWink

I have put on 2 & no problem either.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ptalar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 18:04
Yes.  They are all screwed up.  I purchased an EGW base for my 300 Win Magnum Winchester Model 70.  I received two short screws and two long screws.  The long screws, intuitively, should of fit on the thick recoil lug while the short screws should of been installed on the thinner recoil lug.  The long screws interfered with the bolt operation.  The short screws should of been supplied as a set of 4.  But the screws are cheap.  I replaced the screws with stainless screws from Brownells. 

I emailed EGW a week ago and I have yet to receive my replacement screws, even though I really don't need them now.  I just want to hold them accountable.  I got a response back from the President of EGW whining how they have to keep track of all these rifle configurations.  I say if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.  And provide good quality screws and the correct length screws.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 20:15
"methinks he doth protest too much..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 17:08
+1 Kb.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic