OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Huck Finn revised edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huck Finn revised edition
    Posted: June/08/2011 at 19:01
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 09:39
Now I'm offended by all that political correctness and distruction of a classic. Does that mean that since I'm offended by something someone wrote, I can sue the freedom right out of them?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 11:39
My daughter's been assigned to read Huck Finn over the summer as part of her summer homework and yes they made a point that she read the revised version. Her teacher included the ISBN number so there wouldn't be any mistakes.

So much for the classics.  Roll Eyes
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 12:51
That's sad. If anything, it just encourages ignorance and racism because kids will never ask any questions. When I was in early grade school, we lived in Kansas City and at that time they had busing so a good number of kids in my classes were (as we referred to them then) black. Some were jerks and others were as nice as can be. We read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in third grade. My teacher was African-American and took sh** from no man or child. She talked to us about what those words meant, why people used them then and, this was the 70's, in the not-so-distant past.

When anyone chooses to sanitize the past it is bad no matter what their intentions are.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 12:54
Give her the original to read and send a note to the teacher that says when Samuel Clemons re-writes the book she can read that one.
The way these PC a$$hats are going the only indians will be from the far east, slavery was only practiced in ancient Rome, America was responsible for Pearl Harbor, and the Founding Fathers were terrorist just like Osama BinLaden.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 13:25
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That's sad. If anything, it just encourages ignorance and racism because kids will never ask any questions. When I was in early grade school, we lived in Kansas City and at that time they had busing so a good number of kids in my classes were (as we referred to them then) black. Some were jerks and others were as nice as can be. We read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in third grade. My teacher was African-American and took sh** from no man or child. She talked to us about what those words meant, why people used them then and, this was the 70's, in the not-so-distant past.

When anyone chooses to sanitize the past it is bad no matter what their intentions are.

I agree.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, a lot's changed since then.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 13:34
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Give her the original to read and send a note to the teacher that says when Samuel Clemons re-writes the book she can read that one.
ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2011 at 23:36
Think I am going to read the original this summer.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Think I am going to read the original this summer.
Given your whereabouts that might be the only non-Norwegian people you will meet. Big Smile
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 17:18
Remember this in 18 months when you go to the polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 18:45
Not sure if this really has anything to do with that who's the president. It's the backward direction our country's been going for years now in regards to being PC.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 06:55
I was speaking more in terms of a change in parties!Now that I think about it I don't know If that will even help, with all the bleeding hearts in the big court now.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic