OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger Scout Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Ruger Scout Rifle
    Posted: June/07/2011 at 21:35
I recently had to have one of those new Ruger Scout rifles.  After a trip to the range, I remember now why I put scopes on all my longer range shooting irons... I can't see very well past 100 yds:-(

Now I'm in the market for a medium eye relief scope to mount on the front rail for taking coyotes etc out to about 200-300 yds.   I want something more than 1X so I'm not really into red dot type scopes.  Would prefer a variable power, maybe 1.5 x 6 or something similar?  Budget is +-$1000. 

Anybody got any ideas? All help is appreciated!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 07:25
I imagine you wanna use the scout mounting position?
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 09:25
Tjhat's what I was thinking, tho you can remove the rear site and just use a regular scope...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 09:42
I would get an SS 1-4x and mount it traditionally.  With a scope with a true 1x you will have a much larger FOV than you will ever get with a scout scope.  They have very small FOVs.  I realize the point is to us both eyes, but you can do that as well with a 1x.  Plus it gives you a better reticle than you will ever get with a scout scope.  And adjustable knobs if you choose that model which would be nice with a .308.

Since it has a detachable mag you don't really need the easy access to the top of the action to load it.  I see no reason why you would not want to put a traditional scope on it.

I really want that gun as well, and a SS would definitely be my choice for it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 09:43
Ok

Kinda limited as to extended eye relief/scout scopes but here are a few I found. 

Leatherwood 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Scope 2-Plex Leatherwood 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Scope
Stock # - LER27X32
  • Matte
  • 2-Plex
  • 1"
$114.95 
Add Leatherwood 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6 30mm Riflescope 4 Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59152
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Extended Eye Relief
$1,778.95 
Add Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Duplex Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Stock # - LEU58810
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$299.95 
Add Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope Heavy Plex Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
Stock # - 200269
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
$249.95 
Add Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 09:45
It seems there are no middle ground EER or LER scopes out there.  The swaro would fit it great but the price is out your range. Althougth if you plan to use the gun alot I would pony up and go ahead and get it.  You can also get it with illumination.

Or get a cheap one like the leatherwood and if you like the scout setup save for the swaro then.
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 18:59
Hmmmm. so many choices... I'm thinking the Swaro on a traditional mount might be the best way to go if I can get the AFE increased a little...I really like their glass. I sort of agree with what Supertool is saying. Not much to lose with a traditional scope since the Scout scope blocks the iron sights anyway... guess you could go with quick-detach rings and just take it off if it got crunched.

Going to have to ponder on it a bit.. Thanks for the help!
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 17:50
I am also in the market for a scope for my Ruger Scout.  I would like to keep the irons on the rifle and get the scope away from my eye and where a spent casing ejects... so I think I am looking for something with a longer eye relief.

My eyes aren't the greatest and I have quite a bit of trouble seeing things at a distance.   I don't think I even realize what kind of magnifiaiton or scope characteristics poor eyesight requires, alas, I am here posting questions.

I intend to use the rifle for deer season well within 300 yards, probably mostly 100 yards.  With my other non-hunting rifles that kind of distance requires a 6x scope for me to even identify the target and have a chance of hitting.

Thoughts?  Do the same suggestions stand?

Budget is over $2,000 as long as the benefits are there.... no desire to "waste" money on an un-necessary pricey scope.

Chalk
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 17:54
edit: What is the upside of that Swarofski other than quality flawless glass you could somehow use to for a NASA telescope?
Chalk
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 17:57
edit2:  Not in the know about what all this means......

Weight (oz): 7

Heavy Plex

Length (in): 9.2
Eye Relief (in): 14 - 8.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 15
Exit Pupil (mm): 7.3
MOA: 1/2
Chalk
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:10
XS now sells a picatinney that was engineered fot the Ruger scout.It even has a built in peep to align dead on with the fron sight.This rail will allow you to use any type of scope on that rifle.Price not bad around $90.SWFA is a XS dealer so give them a call & see if they will order one!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:17
Originally posted by chalk chalk wrote:

I am also in the market for a scope for my Ruger Scout.  I would like to keep the irons on the rifle and get the scope away from my eye and where a spent casing ejects... so I think I am looking for something with a longer eye relief.

My eyes aren't the greatest and I have quite a bit of trouble seeing things at a distance.   I don't think I even realize what kind of magnifiaiton or scope characteristics poor eyesight requires, alas, I am here posting questions.

I intend to use the rifle for deer season well within 300 yards, probably mostly 100 yards.  With my other non-hunting rifles that kind of distance requires a 6x scope for me to even identify the target and have a chance of hitting.

Thoughts?  Do the same suggestions stand?

Budget is over $2,000 as long as the benefits are there.... no desire to "waste" money on an un-necessary pricey scope.

http://opticstalk.com/new-leupold-155x33-vxr-scout-scope_topic31964_post458183.html?KW=#458183
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by chalk chalk wrote:

edit2:  Not in the know about what all this means......

Weight (oz): The overall weight of the scope

Heavy Plex

Length (in): 9.2 The overall length of the scope
Eye Relief (in): 14 - 8.5 The distance from the eypeice of the scope for "optimal" eye position
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 15 How much you will see horizontally at said distance
Exit Pupil (mm): 7.3 Objective/power = exit pupil.  AverageHuman eye can use about 7mm's worth, will determine how "bright" the image appears, the higher the number the brighter the scope
MOA: 1/2 The click adjustment value, how much each adjustment will move the reticle when zeroing.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 15:52
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 14:13
Thanks, the Leupold looks like a winner to me.  Thanks for all of the information as well.
Chalk
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 16:29
Apparently the Ruger Scout scope is on back order. Any idea of when they will be in?
Chalk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 14:41
Ruger says they are not taking any more orders till June 1st,so they can get caught up on their existing back orders.Been waiting for my scout 5 weeks so far.I guess they didn't expect the responce for the scout  all the .380's Shocked
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2012 at 14:27
grumble grumble murmur grumble
Chalk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 05:54
WOW, Dear Abby on the OT,look out SOE Big Grin 
chalk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 12:22
Can I get a sit-rep here?  It has been a month on back-order.  Are the Leupold scopes being produced?
Chalk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic