OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

first scope needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheal3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first scope needed
    Posted: June/06/2011 at 01:01
Hello all this is a great forum!
I've read Ilya's review on the $200 scopes and that brings me to a question. Forgive me as I have many short and long guns but I have baught my first bolt action (browning x bolt .270) and are looking for my first scope. I know I should be spending more but for now this is around the range. The gun will mostly be used at the range with a boar and deer hunt mixed in here and there. My first question is on the power of the scope. I see most people say go with the typical 3-9x40 but what is the pros and cons to going with a 2-7x33 for my use? Also being new I've noticed many company's make a bullet drop compensation reticle, these seem like a great thing for a newbie like myself.......any thoughts pro's or cons?
These are the ones I have looked at so far...
Leopold LR duplex
Redfield accu range
Nikon BDC
Vortex dead hold bdc
Burris farfield 2 ballisticplex
Are these basically all the same or does anything stand out in the crowd?
Thanks for your info
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 07:14
get the vortex viper 2-7 and don't look back.  Great scope at a killer price right now.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 08:08
Nothing wrong at all with a 2-7. The one caveat is some are pretty compact (short most only have about 5.25" of mounting space) so make sure your ring spacing is appropriate. As to the various BDC reticles they are fine but make sure you know how they work. Most are calibrated at the highest power so when you adjust the power to another setting then the yardage changes for the various hash marks. For example say your zeroed at 100yd's and the first hash mark is dead on at 200yds when the scope is set at 7x. When you adjust the power to 2x the range for the first hash mark will jump to somewhere around 300 yds instead of 200yds. This is true for all of he brands except for a few of the european scopes that have the reticle in a different plane and thus stay a constant size as the power changes. These scopes are however outside of your $200 budget so for this discussion most of the BDC type reticles will change. Again this isn't necessairly bad but be sure you understand how it works before you buy so you won't get a surprise. The little vortex mentioned above is a pretty good suggestion by the way.

Edited by powderburn - June/06/2011 at 08:09
tarheal3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheal3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 09:32
On the vortex viper is there a way to change the reticle?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 09:36
no the only reticle left availble is the C-3 which has gotten great reviews from those that use it
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 10:46
Don't worry about a BDC reticle for now. You can hit anything you want out to 300-350 yards with a max. point blank range zero (generally 3-4" high @ 100 will do it, then verify out to 300). Once you get bored with that, you can get a different scope. I'd also go with the Vortex 2-7. That's just enough magnification range to get out to 300 comfortably yet will give you better field of view for shots under 100 yards.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 11:04
I have a Viper with the C3 reticle and I think it is a great match for the scope.

ILya
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 12:05
  +1 with jono about the BDC.

Here's another vote for the Viper w/C3.  I've had one on my 9.3 Mauser 98 for almost 2yrs now.  LUV IT.  I mounted  one on a 22"bbl .308 Win. Model 7 over the weekend.  Guy couldn't be happier.  Especially when the movement of the reticle actually matched the number clicks needed for adjustment without "pecking" on the turrets.  Sighted on in 4 shots.  Like me,one of the features he likes the best is the fast target aquisition the C3 reticle gives him.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 12:06
I put a 2-7 Vortex onto a .243 and it is a nice scope for the price.  I recently switched from a 3-9x40 that I have used for years on my primary hunting gun (a TC Encore Musket).  I upgraded two scope I ordered the 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Rapid Z800 (a balistic reticle) to put on my 300 WSM and I am taking the 4-16x40 that was on that to put onto the musket.  I hunt from a blind or ladder stand or along the edge of a field where I have a solid rest and I tend to shoot most deer at 200 to 300yds and practice at those distances. I find that a 2-7 is a great scope for something close moving and  like that for coyotes and stalking and deer under 100 yds but with the ability to get out much further.  Still the primary reason I went to more magnification is that I like to look at the rack that a deer has and select the deer I want to take.  Sometimes it makes a difference to have a closer look like in antlerless season when several does are running with a 4 point and shooting the big looking doe can make it be the 4 point when you get up to it - oops. One of the best deals I have found lately is the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Rapid Z on Samplelist at $599 which is huge savings on that and it has a lifetime transferable warranty.  SWFA will take items in trade and sometimes that makes it possible to work your way into a better quality optic. I really suspect that you would not regret having the balistic reticle that the Zeiss has but you would need to learn how to work it.  Sometimes it is better to buy top end first rather than buying one then later replacing it.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tarheal3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheal3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 08:57
Thanks for the info guys I'm going to go to the big fish store to check them out. I'm still looking for somewhere in the so cal area that sell vortex so i can at least check them out. I like to touch and see before I buy.

Question.....everyone talks about buying as much scope or the best glass you can, so would i be better off saving up a little more and going after the conquest 3-9x40?
 Seems to be had for $399

Is there that much of a jump that is worth doubling my spend?

I also found online a 4200 2.5-10x40 for $259. Looks like the scope may be big though. Will this be balanced on a x-bolt .270?

thanks

Tarheal
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 09:48
The conquest will be a better scope.  Will you see double the difference?  No, but it will have a bit better glass quality.

The 4200 line has very very similar glass to the Viper line.  If you want the added magnification, then that would be worth it for a little more. 

I have a Viper C3 as well, it is a good scope.  Mine is on a Browning BAR 243. 

If it were me and I had the money to spend, I would get the Conquest.  I am a good quality glass junky so it would make sense to me.  I would also probably pick the 4200 over the Viper just because of the added 3x on the top end.  A 270 is capable a pretty long shot, so it might be nice having the 9x or 10x of the Conquest or 4200.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 09:52
Also check out Minox, http://swfa.com/Minox-Riflescopes-C3104.aspx,  Very good glass as well. Comparable to the Conquest line
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 10:24
after reading this forum and countless similar questions to this one... including my own, i've come to the following realizations:

1. for a first scope, as long as it will hold zero, you'll probably be happy with almost anything you buy for at least long enough to save to buy a 2nd scope.
2. your second scope will cost at least twice what your first did.
3. brand recognition for swaro and zeiss is very high, but they back up their claims very well
4. leupold makes a very good scope, but they're also very overpriced
5. buy what you've looked through and are happy with

the most important thing, and it'll likely be hard for you in california, is to make sure you're looking through the glass when the weather's not perfect.  if the glass is clear and sharp when it's crappy out, it'll be even better when it's clear and sunny.

given number 1 and 2 above, i'd suggest you buy something relatively simple now, with the plan of upgrading down the road.  in this way you can use, in whatever conditions you need to, the scope you buy and decide what you like or don't like about the scope you bought, and what you really want in the next one.
tarheal3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheal3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 12:30

Thanks for the feedback......

Well we do have alot of smog in california that is worse than bad weather Big Smile
tarheal3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheal3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 22:21
Ok went to check out the scopes today

I was suprised as I really liked the overall package of the Nikon Buckmaster better than most.

I looked at the 4200 previously and thought it was nice but the elevation and windage adjustments were much more difficult to use vs the Nikon....since I'm a newbie does this matter much? I'm assuming the optics on the 4200 are a little better but I thought both were nice.

the 4200 is a 2.5-10x40 and Nikon is 3-9x40 is there a pro or con between the two?

I am still looking for the vortex with no luck

Suprised how the Redfield and VX 1 felt like plastic toys VS. the Nikon for about the same price

Ant thoughts would be great!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic