OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upgrading my Sightron for a 300 roy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading my Sightron for a 300 roy
    Posted: June/04/2011 at 21:22
Currently have a Vanguard .300 weatherby mag that has a Sightron SI 3-9x40 scop. It has served fine and has held zero but eye relief is a little short and I would like a bit more scope considering this is my long range rig. However I am limited due to budget. I am looking at the Vortex Crossfire 4-16X50 30mm or a Redfield Revolution 4-12X40. My budget is about $200-215 max. Any reccomendations?

Any other optics I should look at? Remember it has to hold up to pretty good recoil with the 300 roy.

Thanks

Adam
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 21:28
this is kind of interesting....Any thoughts???

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 23:13
ahiaring,

That looks pretty good. What's the warentee?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 23:20
What ranges do you plan on shooting at?  Hunting? Target?  What mag ranges do you want?  Will you use it only in the day or low light at well?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 23:36
Big Game Hunting, deer antelope, elk moose. I hunt in october/november in the rockies so it as to survive adverse weather, good clarity...I have a load that allows hold on animal out to 400 yards so 12-14 power should be plenty.......Redfield Revolution has really been running in my mind for quite a while, seems like that may be the ticket.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 21:08
I would go with the Redfield before I would touch a BSA. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 08:31
Nix the BSA and the crossfire, The redfield would be OK. I will also share with you that there is a pentax pioneer 4.5-14x42 scope on the sample list for $179. That is a scope I traded in and it is in really nice condition with little time on it. It is in really nice shape unless something happened since I sent it in ( not likely). I put it on a 223 and it went to the range maybe 2 times in the 6 months I owned it. other than that it was a safe queen. It is a very nice scope though a bit bigger than I needed . It is really just a rebadged Burris FFII and would be imho a better choice than any of the scopes you mentioned except maybe the redfield. So if you are on a tight budget but want some higher power then that would be an option for you.

Edited by powderburn - June/06/2011 at 08:41
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 09:27
Count me as another "no" to the BSA.

I think the Redfield would suit you fine.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 09:37

Listen to the above advise.  BSA is garbage, Vortex Crossfires are not in the same league as all other vortex products and I highly discourage the use of them even with the greeat warranty.  The redfields i have use have been great

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 11:02
In your price range, your best bet is to stick with the 3-9x40 configuration.

Personally, I like the Vortex Diamondback, but its eyerelief may be marginal for rifle with kick, so I would take a close look at Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 which has a bit more eyerelief and veyr solid performance.

There is also Sightron SII on the Samplelist for $199, which would make a good match for you:

ILya
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 12:07

+1 on that Sightron II.  I've had one for yrs with no problems.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 12:32
My first Sightron SII 3-9x42 was purchased in 2002.

Still ticking.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 12:41
Sorry Koshkin I had to chuckle. I think I have three of about a dozen scopes newer than 2002 all purchased in the past year or so. I also have several that date to the 80's that are still in use or were until this year.
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 14:29
After doing tons of research and reading I may have a different option I want to throw out...I may have the opportunity to sell a couple things that would afford me $300.00 for a scope. I am thinking of purchasing a 10X42 SS and putting it on the 300 weatherby. This is my long range rifle (out to 400 maybe farther if i can learn mil dot and develop better shooting) and my closest shots in broken country really are never closer than say 65-75 yards. The 4" of eye relief would be great too and it sure seems like the kind of scope that could handle the elements.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2011 at 17:20
What ever floats your boat and the SS scopes are well thought of, but even living in the west I would think having a fixed 10 power big game scope would be be more of a hinderance than you think. Where I live I would never want a 10 power equipped big game rifle.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2011 at 20:28
Good eye relief + the magnification you want for $300....

with Mil-Dot reticle: http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42210.aspx

with plex reticle: http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42208.aspx

If an illuminated BDC reticle interests you then here's an interesting deal for $300:

http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P50706.aspx

or the non-illuminated version:  http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7933.aspx
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 22:03
Just thought I fill everyone in on what I did. secured some extra funds and bought a Zeiss 3-9X40 conquest...Didn't want to do the optics ladder and pay more in the long run. Scope is amazingly clear....best i have ever owned.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 22:13
Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

Just thought I fill everyone in on what I did. secured some extra funds and bought a Zeiss 3-9X40 conquest...Didn't want to do the optics ladder and pay more in the long run. Scope is amazingly clear....best i have ever owned.

Excellent choice.
-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2011 at 06:56

Thunbs Up Thunbs Up!!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2011 at 13:12
Well done, sir.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic