OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What to expect Weatherby Vanguard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to expect Weatherby Vanguard?
    Posted: June/04/2011 at 19:20
Today I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in .243   What kind of accuracy should I expect?

It is the blued synthetic model, with a 24" bbl, I put my extra Elite 3200 3-9x on it.

I plan on using Remington Core Lokt 100 gr. ammo.

Thanks
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 19:35
I have a weatherby vanguard in 243 that is very accurate.  Under 1 inch at 100 yards.  The trigger on it is horrific, though, even after adjusting it as much as I could.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 21:14
Same experience here with the trigger on my Vanguard. It is mushy with a lot of creep to it. That said, the rifle is very nice looking and handles well. I haven't spent the time to extensively pattern it yet so I cant reliably speak about the accuracy. Maybe this weekend that will change...:)
-Michael
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 10:11
Trigger was horrible on mine to. A Timney trigger took care of that, and now it's a real shooter. You may also try different ammo, to see what it likes best. My .243 will not shoot 100 gr. core lokts very well at all. But shoots it's favorite load at about 1/2"

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 21:51
never seen or owned a Vanguard that wasn't a 1" capable rifle .. trigger will get a little better with use, and I understand the later models have a better trigger feel
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 21:37
my 300wby vanguard, shoots sub moa. love it!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2011 at 23:55
300 WSM vanguard shot tight, and the trigger sucked ... bad.  Gunsmith made it bearable.  My buddy has it now and loves it.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - June/10/2011 at 23:55
-Matt
trappinjohn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappinjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 20:36
I think you'll like it.
I have a 243 and a 270WSM.  Like everyone said, the triggers aren't the greatest , but they shoot very well.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 13:24
I've read that the triggers on the new series 2 vanguards are supposed to be improved.  Wonder if it's a different trigger mechanism altogether, or just better settings from the factory....
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

I've read that the triggers on the new series 2 vanguards are supposed to be improved.  Wonder if it's a different trigger mechanism altogether, or just better settings from the factory....

according to their site, it's a completely new 2 stage trigger.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic