OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreetRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm ?
    Posted: January/11/2006 at 20:37

I am thinking of purchasing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 MilDot for my 300 WM bolt gun.  The rifle is a Savage 110 HB, with brake, in a Ultimate Sniper Stock.  Although this scope costs more than the rifle, its a great shooter that groups less than 1/2 MOA @100 yards.  I mainly shoot 100 - 700 yards off a bench.

Any input would be appreciated.  My only experience with Zeiss is with a 6x32mm compact.  I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm and NXS 12-42x56mm on some other bolt guns.  How does the Zeiss compare to the NXS in clarity and brightness.  I realize it has a smaller objective and is half the cost.  I just can't swallow another 1K+ for a scope right now.

Thanks,

Tom

The old ghillie's maxim...
"Stalk as close as ye kin, laddie - then git ten paces closer!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2006 at 04:01

The only problem that I can think you'll have is that Conquest has a 1" tube. So your going to need some elevation help.

A 20 MOA rail should do it for you.

As far as optical quality, the Zeiss will be almost as good as the NF, IMO. Some have said "as good".

Well worth your time and money.....

Edit to add:

I ran across this review of the Conquest. I realize that it's not the same model your looking at, but I thought it may be helpful.

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2006 at 08:54
I use a 4X14 conquest on a Kimber walking varmiter in .223. The scope is not in the same class as the  nightforce in any regard. Besides the plastic turrets the reticle appears to have fuzzy definition at the outer extremties. This should be regarded as an absolute criticism, since there are no perfect scopes. It is as good, but no better, than the Nikon's, leos, bushnells in the same price catagory. Currently conquest's are selling for about $100 under the quoted retail even in internet places (like SWFA). Obtain one of these quotes and I'm sure SWFA will match it. Personally I would get and use quick detachable mounts for one of the nightforces.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2006 at 09:36
Yeah, the plastic turrets suck.

I really tend to like the 3.5-10x44mm Conquest better than the higher powers, but they make a good scope for half the price of a NF and they are a lot lighter too.

Good luck!!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
StreetRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreetRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2006 at 09:12

I can pick up the Zeiss NIB for $599.  If you get the  target turret upgrade are they still plastic?  Maybe I'll wait until I go to the SHOT Show and check everything out.  I  didn't realize the Conquest only had 45 MOA of elevation adjustment.

Thanks for all the info. 

The old ghillie's maxim...
"Stalk as close as ye kin, laddie - then git ten paces closer!"
mmike87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmike87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2006 at 22:47
I have this exact scope. I am by no means an optics expert, or a sharpshooter, but I am totally pleased with what I got for the money I spent. The plastic turrents do not bother me - I had never really noticed. The image is clear, great resolution, and bright.

I paid $520 on eBay for a NIB scope. I got my money's worth, IMO. Is it a NF, Swar, or SB? probably not - but I think the optics, IMO, are better than anything else in the price range.

- Mike
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:42

Hello, I mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 onto a Savage 10FP LE2B over the summer.  For about the same price online, you get the target turrets and a slightly bigger objective. MOA isn't S&B or Nightforce caliber, but there's enough for 700-800 yds with the right carts.  I can't complain for $575 delivered NIB with this scope.  I've got a SA 4-14x56 Gen 1, a couple of B&L Elite 4000/4200s and an older Leupold Standard Police 3.5-10x40 and while all are sub $600, the Zeiss has impressed me in limited shooting at 100yds.  The glass is pretty clear, so I'd imagine you'd have no problem out to 600-700 yds in less than ideal lighting?

Take care and good luck, Chris

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2006 at 21:02
5214559943 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $819.95
All of that and a free baseball cap too how can you go wrong?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic