OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

44 mag black bear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 44 mag black bear
    Posted: June/02/2011 at 20:40
Just curious as to what would be a good bullet for short barreled revolver on black bear.  Heavy soft point or heavy hard cast?  Also would this bullet choice change if bow hunting black bear and using the pistol in case of emergency.  
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2011 at 21:42
My decision is biased on where you are hunting... If in AZ, any well constructed bullet in the 200+gr. range, in that chambering will do. If you are headed back to Alaska, I will differ to someone with more knowledge.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2011 at 21:57
I have some experience loading .44 magnum, having lived in Alaska for a number of years. For large animal protection you want a jacketed soft point bullet and a heavy dose of slow burning powder. Short or long barrel, that will give you the highest velocity. Unfortunately, it will also give a deafening muzzle blast. A heavy cast bullet will be effective too, but probably have leading issues at true magnum velocities. According to the Speer manual the JSP is designed for penetration and controlled expansion at maximum velocities, without the nag of barrel leading.

Personally, I think magnum caliber handguns should have a 6 inch barrel, minimum. But, hypocritically, I do have a 4 inch that is a little more handy to carry on the belt, especially while seated. For the lower 48 I am perfectly happy with a 10mm Glock.

I use Speer 240 grain JSP bullets over a heavy charge of H110 worked up for my guns.

I'd also like to give their DeepCurl bullets a try when my stockpile runs out.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 10:21
I load both the 240 and 300 gr Sierra bullets for my .44. Mine is 7 1/2" and the .300 soft point out penetrates the lighter hollow point. I haven't used them on bear yet. But my walk around stump shooting and deer have given the nod to the 300 gr.
Doug
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 12:46
Quite frankly any of the hollowpoints or soft points over a heavy charge of powder should be fine.  Heavy bullets would be preferable either 300 gr or 240 gr.  If you dont load look at the ones made by Bullalo Bore.  Remember though that any handgun bullet is no match for a heavy rifle caliber energy wise or for a 12 ga slug.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 18:23
I've got both 240 grain Speer Deep Curl soft points and 300 grain Cast Performance WFNGC bullets loaded that shoot well with lots of Win 296.  I've heard good things about the hard cast bullets penetrating well, but maybe I wouldn't have a problem with the soft points penetrating well and also expanding.  Also, if it were brown bear instead of black bear would the choice be different, or would the same bullet apply?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 18:36
If Dale does not see this, shoot him a PM Coby.  I dare bet he has hunted bear with a pistol before.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 19:06
That 240 grain deep curl would suit me just fine.

I was always more paranoid about a moose trampling my tent than a bear attack when I camped in Alaska. When I would go bird hunting I would keep a few slugs in my pocket in case of trouble.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2011 at 20:36
I would probably stay with the jacketed bullet loaded hot as you can generally load them much hotter than a lead bullet unless it has a gas check copper base and I dont fool with that.  The bottom line is that if you are really concerned about bears keep your rifle handy nothing smaller than 30-06 and preferably a 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H.   Just go down the energy column on pistol cartridges and on rifle cartridges and you will have your answer take  a rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 07:34
270g Speer Gold Dot would be a good choice.  I would think that any of the 300g would be a good choice also.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 11:06
270gr buffalo bore, dropped a 430# hog, like a bag of crap. those are loaded with speer. i'd say it would do the job on a BB
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 14:07
I am also a fan of the 270 gr buffalo Bore load .. It hits about as hard as you can crank up a 44mag
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 15:50
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

I am also a fan of the 270 gr buffalo Bore load .. It hits about as hard as you can crank up a 44mag

What bullet is used in that buffalo bore load?  Someone mentioned Speer.  If that's the case I imagine it would be the deep curl.  I don't know if that is different than the gold dot bullet or not. 
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 15:57
Jacketed hollow points
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 15:31
its a JSP in the 270 BB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic