OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

backpack for spotter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backpack for spotter
    Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:19
I just placed an order for the ZEN ED2 82mm spotting scope. I understand that it comes with view-through carrying case. I want to get a backpack to give it double protection when I go out.  What will be best backpack for a fullsize spotting scope like the ED2? Thanks
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:45
I use a 5.11 Rush 72.  My Vortex Razor fits inside with plenty of room to spare.  This might be even bigger than you need.  The 5.11 packs are well thought out, and well made.  If you search around on the internet you can find them on sale from time to time.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:52
what are u using it for hunting , shooting  bird watching ect.....???? I'm not familiar with that spotter but I know that Badlands make a real good size pack for hunting check with them
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 12:03
My Razor fits in the Eberlestock X2's side wing type pockets and can also fit in the sleeve on the inside of the side pockets.  Its a smaller(18oo cui I think) day type pack.  It carries 30lb or so very good and I have had it loaded with over 5o lbs and it was not to bad.  I do like the available rifle scabbard for it.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 18:41
I also use an Eberlestock ... the J104 just one series, and it works well for hauling my Razor as well.  Eberlestock makes tons of great, tough, well-designed packs.

-Matt
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 20:42
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

I just placed an order for the ZEN ED2 82mm spotting scope. I understand that it comes with view-through carrying case. I want to get a backpack to give it double protection when I go out.  What will be best backpack for a fullsize spotting scope like the ED2? Thanks

Kind of depends on what you will be using the scope for, doesn't it? For most of my outings I like something that "blends in". Not tactical or camo. For hunting in a lightly populated area or a trip to the range I don't mind looking tactical...

Camel-bak makes a nice line of packs, tactical or non-tactical. I like their waist belt design because its easy to secure a holster and/or pouches for keeping things within easy reach. The water bladder is a nice touch.

If you don't have much time with a sweaty back. Go to a store like REI and try on a bunch of different packs and see what is comfortable for you. They'll even have weighted bags you can try the pack with different weight combinations in it.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 17:36
thanks a lot for the suggestion.  I want to use the spotter mainly to take digiscoping pictures when we visit yellowstone NP next month. The Eberlestock X2' looks good.  Now need to find a good deal for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 19:28
spf2,

The Eberlestock Halftrack would also be a good option for your uses. It is a good match for optics and camera equipment.

What camera and adapter are you going to use for your digiscoping setup?
-Matt
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2011 at 07:10
http://www.hunthardcorestore.com/
 Dan is good to deal with 
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2011 at 10:52
For now, I am using a universal clamp-on adapter and Canon SD600.  But I am seriously considering one of those micro four third camera

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2011 at 14:21
Those Panasonic micro 4/3s are supposed to be great, just pricey.

I believe Zen Ray will have a proprietary adapter available for your scope.  Another option would be to measure your eyepiece and get a hold of Tines Up.  I am now using one of their adapters, and it is super-easy to use.

http://www.tinesup.com/scope_cam.html

-Matt
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 19:47
Looks like the Eberlestock would fit.  Waterproof ,lots of pockets and a place to carry the tripod.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Dixie07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixie07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 20:55
I have a mystery ranch crew cab and it has a perfect pocket for a spotter in it, plus the most comfortable back I have ever used.
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 21:01
If you are looking for a large pack, check out the cabelas brand 4500 cubic inch one.  Cant remember the name off the top of my head, but I have it and it extremely light with a great suspension system and has a perfect external padded scope case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic