OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Near Alphamount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Near Alphamount
    Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:13
Mount just arrived.  I gave a Q&D inspection and first impressions are:

Superb engineering.  All "exposed" edges are "anti-snag".  It is light, but solid, finish is flawless.  Uses 8x40 ring screws and, of course, the mount is for a Picatinny rail.  I have already begun the order for the 25MOA rail from Richard Near and have instructions from Bijou Creek on removal of the existing rail and replacement with the Near.  I love fine craftsmanship.  

Pictures to come...

Edited by Kickboxer - May/31/2011 at 11:14
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:26
patiently waiting for pictures........
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:54
No Pics

OH WAIT !!!!  YOU SAID THERE ON THERE WAY NEVER MIND Big Grin
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 13:54

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 13:56
That looks.... stout.  whats going on the rail?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 13:57
There is some sort of error, I cannot post more pictures right now, but have some good ones.  Will try again later.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

That looks.... stout. 

Wow, I would say.  That ought to be great for that setup.  Excellent
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:07

That looks.... stout.  whats going on the rail?

It IS stout... 

The rail will get a red dot of some sort...  

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 18:13
OMG! I haven't seen a Hubble around here in awhile.
Seriously, nice equipment Dan.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 18:51
Thank you, Doug.  Once I get the 25MOA Near rail, I will have it set up exactly like I want it.  Now I need some bulldozer bullets...

I still cannot post pictures, so a quick update on the mount.

I boresighted with BSA collimator, zeroed in two shots.  I tore up a hummingbird target at 100yards in 4 shots.  My daughter said, "Daaad, why would you want to shoot a poor hummingbird".  It is dead on, now I need to get to the range.  I also need a red dot for the scope ring rail.  I intend to zero at 300+ yards (have not decided yet, depends on what ammo I end up using and its "flat" characteristics) and use a red dot for shorter shots.  

Let me say here, just for the record.  I have/had NO PROBLEM with the TPS rings I used to preliminarily mount the Hensoldt on the .338.  I always intended to have a "unimount"... just a matter of finding one that fit my needs and had features I like.  I don't care for munimula, really, but that is a personal thing.  If you like it, great... I don't.  At least not for rifles.  The TPS rings were/are great, left no marks on the Hensoldt scope body... at all.  They've been put back for a "rainy day"...  which means my next rifle with a 34mm scope.  
Near uses a proprietary alloy for his mounts... tough stuff.  

I have some sunshine pictures.  Will post when the capability is returned to me.  

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 19:16
Stout?

I'll say.

Nice setup.  Doesn't leave much to be desired.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 22:11
Well, it's pretty heavy... for all that stoutness, it weighs 10.2 oz.  Not sure I can lug all that weight around.  

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 23:27
Is it steel or alu?
What is the price for it, including the picatinny rail on the top?

Håkan
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 01:28
Great looking set up Dan,Yes it does look stout would anyone expect anything less from ya I think not
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 07:10

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 09:12
kickboxer

I do have the same scope myself and is very satisfied with it.
However a recomendation is the get the sunshade for it, makes a tremendous differance when you have the sun low over the ground. And it also helps to protect the frontlens from rain.

Håkan
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 09:16
Sunshade,  you could cut the ends off a 55gal drum and use it for that as big as that objective is!Bucky 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 09:47

Sunshade,  you could cut the ends off a 55gal drum and use it for that as big as that objective is!Bucky 

I've checked into that... I find the 55 gal drum to be a little short...

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 10:30
lol
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 12:47
The Near is a very nice mount. I spoke with him once and Richard was really good about answering any questions I had. At the time, I ended up going with the Nightforce Direct Mount, which while not in the class of that or the Spuhr is a decent and well-engineered mount. It just doesn't have any rail to attach accessories so I sold it off. I'd consider one of these. It looks very functional and fits your rig well.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic