OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

310GR .338 buldozers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 310GR .338 buldozers.
    Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:08

AS a few know there is a gentleman on here as “trigger29” who is becoming a really good bullet smith. I have done a few test for him and got to play with a few different designs of the bullets he is going to produce and sell a ton of in the not so far future. I'm not saying he reinvented the wheel but he has been able to make it roll faster. He sent me a few (5) .338 310gr solids to play with and to see if they would stabilize. I loaded them up with my normal 300gr .338RUM load of 89.5gr of Retumbo at 2655fps and off to the range I went. I have not shot his 310 bullets until this point, but was going to give them a try and see how it played out.

Sunday night me and a buddy meet at the land to move a target and see if we could get 1,000 yards. We moved it and were able to get 1,004 yards pretty easy. So Monday morning we meet at 830am and got things unloaded and set up. The sun was at our back and it was 70degrees sunny and really humid with very little (3 to 4 MPH) wind from left to right. I’m shooting across two lakes and a lot of field.

Normal view.of target up close 16x16 steel plate.

This was normal view thru camera. you can see the orange dot to the left of the building .

I got set up to shot of the bi-pod and rearbag, I dialed in my 28.4MOA and nothing for the wind

I loaded up my go to load with a 300gr berger with 89.5 of retumbo and let her rip. It hit the top left of the target. I'm pumpped as it was a one shot hit at 1,004 yards. I have not played to much at 1,000 but It was a good and very lucky day I guess. I missed my second shot high and was hit and miss for a few untill I got my stuff settled down. I got my buddies son who is 13 to shot one off and he had a 1 shot hit my cousin who is 13 also had a 1st shot hit. They were pummped. after 40 rounds of hitting the steel at 1,004 yards and letting the rifle cool, I broke out the 310 buldozers to see how they will shoot. I would hate to have wasted them on a group at 100 or even 200 yards. so WHO NOT run them now at a longer range. The first one shot over the target into the bank. I dialed down to 25MOA to see if I could get them on target. 2nd shot feel just short of the plate. I dialed up to 26MOA even. This was the final 3 shots of the buldozers.

It is a 16inch x 16inch square and i'm guessing a 4 inch group.Not bad for a rookie shooter like myself. It is the 3 black dots.

I think trigger29 is on to something with this bullet. It took less MOA and weighs 10gr more. I was Happy with the group and out come of them up to this point. By no means am I a pro at this shooting stuff/loading stuff. I will say I am lucky from time to time and this might have been one of those times, but I will take it.

Here is a few random pick of the Buldozer in some camera pic's I took while loading.
300gr SMK+310gr buldozer+300 Berger

Sorry about the wide picture but you wouldn't be able to see the dot if I shurnk it.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - May/31/2011 at 08:10
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:17
Excellent
I know you were stoked about getting to shoot that far.  glad you had fun.  now do it with your 500S&WBig Grin
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:20
I like the pink target... is there a hidden message there?  

Shooting across those lakes, you probably forgot to take Litz's "over the water" air density calculations into account...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:28
Looking a  little thin on top here
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:29
No, I added the "Litz Knots" program to my ballistics chart. Bucky

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:30
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Looking a  little thin on top here
NO, Its just shaved a little lower than normal. Its all there.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:49
Target has a great "RING" to it, doesn't it??  Nice shooting... the first shot was the only one you needed.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 08:53
You could hear it? Can you post the video?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 09:05
I could HEAR it... LNC.  Not yet...

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:10
I posted it on facebook. I love the way it sounds and how long after the shot you hear it. its keeewl

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:12
Was that your first time?  Is THAT why the target is PINK?????

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:16

Dude!!! The target is not PINK it is flat orange. The sun is at an odd angle. The paint is what you use to mark underground untilities with. It was free.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:17
Oh yes the first shot on the video was my first ever @ 1,004 yards couldn't you see me smiling?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 14:22
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Dude!!! The target is not PINK it is flat orange. The sun is at an odd angle. The paint is what you use to mark underground untilities with. It was free.

so was my gun room in DurhamWink
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 17:01
That's what they all say... (it's not really pink, it just LOOKS pink)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 17:28
Good shooting!

I need to get me some of those bullets.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 19:21
Sweet shooting!!!!!!!!

and all the sweeter with the pink .... er .... flat orange targets.
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 20:13
Looks pretty in pink to me...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 03:04
Hey what color is my noseClown haha Nice shootin oh by the way you need to pm me your address so I can send you them bullets... I threw the box away before I got it off of there Whacko.. I assumed you had the reloading data when I packaged it all up...
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 08:23
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

AS a few know there is a gentleman on here as “trigger29” who is becoming a really good bullet smith. 300gr SMK+310gr buldozer+300 Berger

Sorry about the wide picture but you wouldn't be able to see the dot if I shurnk it.

Gentleman!! Who is this guy kidding!? And I don't know if I'm any good as a bulletsmith, but I've been known to be lucky once in a while.....As well as too stubborn to give up.

In all seriousness, Nice write up, and nice shooting.
Thank you so much for your help. Now that I know they will stabilize, I'll finish cutting the rest for the rest of the testing. They should be headed your way soon.
Thanks again.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic