OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for an AK-what do you think of these:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for an AK-what do you think of these:
    Posted: May/29/2011 at 12:26
Hello! First post on this website, my name is Ian.

A couple weeks ago I finally saved up for and bought an SGL 21. I just turned 15 and have some birthday money I would like to put towards a scope. I managed to find a $36 knock-off version of the KV-4 scope mount that should work fine I am told.
This rifle is mostly for plinking and fun, but possibly could be used for small game I suppose.
I would prefer not to put a short range red dot or anything on it. The main things I have been considering are a 1-4 (or 1.5-5 etc) scope, preferably with an illuminated reticle, a 2-7 power scope, or a fixed power scope around 4x.

Here are the main ones I have been considering:

1. Mueller Multi-Shot 2-7x ($150) I love the reticle on this scope. For those who don't know it, it is like a duplex reticle with a circle in the middle and a 1 MOA dot in the center of the circle. It looks very fast and easy to use. It also has 1/4 MOA finger-adjustable turrets. The price is great. This one has a lot going for it...but not sure I want to put it on an AK.

2. (Shocker here) 91/30 PU scope Repro 3.5x ($150-230) This scope has intrigued me, and I like the German post reticle. First-I must admit-I saw it in a videogame. (I know some elements are unrealistic but it is a possibility to use this scope)
Here: http://images.wikia.com/metro2033/images/2/27/Metro-2033-pc-098.jpg
The issue with this scope is finding one that is quality for a low price (No more than $220 or so) and has a 1 inch tube (25.4mm) as most normally have a 26.5mm tube.  I love this one, I think it would be a very quick scope as well as being light.

3. Leatherwood CMR 1-4x Illuminated Reticle ($350) This one is a bit more expensive, but it is a nicer scope than the other two. I realize with optics you get what you pay for, too. I have heard only positive things about this scope (save the turrets). That being said, it weighs a pound. That isn't too big a deal, but for a rifle I could possibly be hiking around for a while with I would prefer something a little lighter.

4. Leupold VX-3 Circle Dot Illuminated Reticle 1.5-5x ($600) This is the most expensive one I have considered. I would prefer not to go this high, honestly. However Leupold is a great optics maker and out of the ones I have looked at it would probably have the best glass. I also like the simplicity of the plain (NOTE: PLAIN, not with all the other crap like the Leatherwood) circle dot. The only other scope I have found with a similarly simple reticle for a lower price is the Mueller.

So what do you guys think? I have researched tons of scopes. Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Bushnell, Belarussian PSO/POSP scopes and more that I can't remember off of the top of my head. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to put those forward too!

Thanks-sorry for such a long read!

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 16:56
Welcome to the OT 7.62!
Have you taken a look at SWFA kit #6? Nice deal on a great scope.You can locate it on the far left side in the optics talk under extensive group buy.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
7.62-Christmas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 18:02
A 3-9 is a bit more than I want to put on the AK to be honest. A 2-7 I could see possibly,  but not so much a 3-9.

Those kits are great bargains. I looked at the 1-4 power scopes too. They look very good, but the deal comes with a lot of stuff I don't need and the bundle costs as much as the rifle did.
PONIESWHEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 20:16
The Vortex Viper 2-7 is on sale right now. Those are a great deal for the price. I have one on my Saiga 308 and it's a solid piece.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 20:56
Some rifles are truely made to be shot with open sights the Ak versions are one of them.  The rifle is quite deadly and is very reliable but accuracy is not that great.  It is made for fast hard use not target use.  the magazines are too long to work well for bench rest shooting although you can find some 5 and 10 shot ones if you try. I dont have a scope on my AK but if I was going to put one on it I would probably put the quad rail foreend on and use an aimpoint.  Scope it if you like but if you do keep the power range low, and I will suggest that one of the most important pieces of equipment on a rifle is the scope base and rings and there you get what you pay for. I got that you dont want a red dot but an aimpoint would be my first choice so consider it and select what you like.
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$397.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Price$VS" value="KUbpZP2ptSnCiPl9g7kdEzQ7kjiiOTID0ZOM4rnKDqgGguGbzuoC53MtddaxCztK" ="">
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope V-Plex Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • 40% OFF
$149.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS" value="Xe2nQ1YpmYLnNosCEwJiNkIx+KSsx1i7PvKEelTkCJ1LgU3C9U74gDUhc6bRSXYq" ="">

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 20:59
Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731646E
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 30mm
$134.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Price$VS" value="cosUr0v5rgrocZTTDj+qUFJ4TukeUYLg8KN1ZM4Vl29oAnQngTHAnyopwP24VKp0" ="">

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 00:21
It does seem to be a common idea among a lot of people that the AK is a rifle that is not meant to be scoped. When you think about it-was the M16 designed to use a scope? Not at the time of design. Now the Russians design scopes specifically for the AK 100 platform as well. Is it as accurate of a rifle as the M16/AR-15? No.
The AK really has a truly perfect mounting system for scopes. For those who don't know, there is a small rail on the left side of the receiver that various mounts such as the KV-04s and the BP-02 and the versions found on PSO/POSP/Similar red dot scopes use. You simply slide the scope on to that, throw the lever, and it is tight on. Once you zero it, you can hypothetically (if you have good rings and a solid mount) take the scope off, shoot irons, put the scope back on and still be zeroed.

The Saiga AK's have a reputation for good accuracy. They can achieve about 2-3 MOA with some higher quality ammo. I wouldn't put a scope on a less expensive AK clone, but I would like to have one on this AK.

I know a lot of people love the quad rails...personally, I think that they are ugly and not very ergonomic-and I don't want a foregrip. Call me a purist, but I like my handguards and stock simple.

Thank you very much for the suggestion on the Vortex, I hadn't seen that. That is an extremely good deal! I will also look into the aimpoint.

Anybody know the brand Optisan? They've got a 1-4 scope that has the perfect reticle-exactly what I want. The price point worries me though and leads me to believe that they will be pretty poor in quality.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 13:41
I think if u was wanting something in AK family to put a scope on u might went with the Dragunov.  As for what one to put on the one u have I'd say go with the SS 1-4

Edited by hunterwingler - May/30/2011 at 13:43
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 18:45
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

I think if u was wanting something in AK family to put a scope on u might went with the Dragunov.  As for what one to put on the one u have I'd say go with the SS 1-4

The SVD/Tigr/NDM-86 is not in the AK family. It is something that shares some elements with the AK, but it is not the same action. They are also extremely expensive. True SVDs sell for upwards of $6-8000 dollars, Tigrs sell for upwards of $2500, and NDM-86s sell for about $4000. They are also ALL banned by name in California :(.

If you meant the PSL, which is rifle commonly perceived to be a Dragunov, yes I thought about one. But the PSL is simply an AKM action rechambered to 7.62x54r. It is known to be fairly accurate yes, but it suits a completely different purpose.

That SWFA scope is very nice. Unfortunately, its also much more money than a 15 year old has to spend :).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 20:10
I think I have decided. I found this deal:
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Kit-P47565.aspx

I love the CMR scope, and the reticle is busy but that isn't too big a deal.
Plus it comes with the Burris PEPR. I can either use this on the AK or my dad will be able to use it on his AR-15. Great deal!
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 23:04
Hell IDK all I know an AK is a great rifle for up close things but I wouldnt want to use one for long range shooting. thats just me tho, Well if its more money than 15 year old has to spend maybe u should hold off save a little bit & be happy with in the long run

Edited by hunterwingler - May/30/2011 at 23:09
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 23:06
7,62 christmas

I have always been into firearms and optics and never really had the money I wanted for it.
But mostly of the time I have been able to use and own the very best of equipment and also get a decent collection of various firearms and optics.
This have been farily easy by not buying brand new, and instead almost always buy second hand.

I have no opinion about your leatherwood scope, more than most often do you get what you pay for when buying optics.

2-3 moa for a scoped rifle is not really a normal description for accuracy, its more a description of disaster......

I have actually owned a couple of AK47 that was pretty accurate.
Hungarian FEGs in 5,56, full auto rifles that shoot about 1"-1,5" at hundred yards with open sights.
Sadly I only have a couple of 7,62 Russian Aks now, and the .223s are since long gone...
I only keep the AKs as reference objects

Håkan
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 23:18
Originally posted by 7.62-Christmas 7.62-Christmas wrote:

I think I have decided. I found this deal:
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Kit-P47565.aspx

I love the CMR scope, and the reticle is busy but that isn't too big a deal.
Plus it comes with the Burris PEPR. I can either use this on the AK or my dad will be able to use it on his AR-15. Great deal!

I am currently assessing the 14CMR on a .375 H&H.  It is zeroed at 300 yards and I have been practicing "snap shooting" with it.  I had it for a while in Iraq, but never got to mount it on a weapon... got there too late.  However, I did let a number of soldiers take a look at it, and they all liked what they saw.  The illumination is not overpowering in lowlight/dark. Glass is good.  Zeroed at 300 with the 375, it is pretty dead on flat from short range to 350 yards, so I am only concerned with the dot.  It is a real deal.  Very hard to beat at the price.

I think you will like it.  Don't pay attention to those who haven't used one and are limited in experience...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 23:40
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

7,62 christmas

I have always been into firearms and optics and never really had the money I wanted for it.
But mostly of the time I have been able to use and own the very best of equipment and also get a decent collection of various firearms and optics.
This have been farily easy by not buying brand new, and instead almost always buy second hand.

I have no opinion about your leatherwood scope, more than most often do you get what you pay for when buying optics.

2-3 moa for a scoped rifle is not really a normal description for accuracy, its more a description of disaster......

I have actually owned a couple of AK47 that was pretty accurate.
Hungarian FEGs in 5,56, full auto rifles that shoot about 1"-1,5" at hundred yards with open sights.
Sadly I only have a couple of 7,62 Russian Aks now, and the .223s are since long gone...
I only keep the AKs as reference objects

Håkan

I would love to put a Leupold or something on the SGL. I'm sure that I could wait another six months or so and save up for one. But then, part of me thinks..."Its a dang AK!". I really doubt that performance will be severely different if I go with a Leupold or a Trijicon as opposed to the Leatherwood. Though that Leupold Mark 8 scope is verrry nice...
I have read extremely good things about the leatherwood with the only complaints being the turrets.

I originally read about the leatherwood here:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=682762
Then, I looked it up on youtube. For those interested, here are some videos from reputable reviewers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHBm8uwXBxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qs5WM18was
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k4zWAda3lk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D610G9PRWU

There is a lot more research I did too, but I won't overload the post with it :)
I'm not sure what you mean by 2-3 MOA being a disaster. That is quite common for Milsurp or Mil-style rifles. The AK is by no means a match rifle and I don't want to dress it up like one. The scope isn't to try to make it a tack driver.
Still, your report about accuracy got me thinking and so I went back to the video where I read about the accuracy. Turns out I had written incorrectly. That data was from Nutnfancy in his "Gold Standard" Ak review series. In that test he was using Wolf ammunition, notorious for being lower in quality than something like Fiochii, MFS, Silver Bear, or brass-cased Yugo surplus. He was using a Weaver 2x7 scope.

Thinking about it now, I am certain I could get more than that out of it with some good ammo and some good techniques.
kevroyal99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevroyal99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2011 at 18:04
Hello 7.62

Congrats on the AK, I also have one and love it, they are ultra dependable, and great plinkers, I have a vortex strike fire on it (2x power). I just wanted to comment on the CMR package at SWFA..I have one on a Noveske recon 223 ar and it works great,the glass is clear and the marks are true out to 400 meters.. not sure if they would line up with any of the ak ballistics, the illumaton is good as long as it is 4 or higher, the knobs click true and firm, the mil dots 1 to 3 are a bit busy as one other person stated but no big problem, in general this has so far proved to be a reliable scope (3000 plus rounds) just wanted to let you know the burris mount comes with the quick release nut version, SWFA have the lever quick release version and you might want to ask if they will upgade to it for a few bucks more, they are much easier on the fingers and faster to mount or remove. also if you use the cheap ak ammo try to stay away from the older lacquerd coating and get the polymer coated stuff..shoots better and cleans out easier

P.S
a 2 to 3 inch is standard for an MIL AK, 1.5 to 2 is standad for the MIL AR type iron sights, scopes can't improve the guns accuracy they can improve a shotters accuracy...
kevroy
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 23:33
  Hello.  More of a lurker than a poster around here, but I had to chime in Wink

When an AK can do 2-3", a 1-4X scope is a pretty good choice (in my opinion), a good blend of power to take advantage of the round, and powerful enough to the max range of the 7.62X39 (without massive holdover).

I have a Nikon Monarch 1-4X scope on my AK.    It is "perfect", not illuminated, but the German #4 reticle shows up well into darkness, enough that even if I had a red dot, the target wouldn't be visible. Wink

I just have it mounted in a UTG sidemount with 3 allen bolts holding it.  I don't care for UTG, but with loc-tite, the mount hasn't budged in over 3K rounds, and near constant use of riding in an outfit, in a tractor cab, on an ATV,etc.   And I chose it because it is high enough, I don't need to remove the sidemount to take off the dust cover.

(Yes, it's a mongrel, but it runs great, shoots well under 3" @100yard groups, and I'm going for effectiveness over looks on this gun Cool)

I also have a 1-3X Weaver V series mounted on another AK.  However until I have a chance to use it more, I cannot speak on it's ruggedness.     It's a replacement sent by Weaver.  The first 1-3X I had, got sent back within 2 months of use due to it having a tendancy to make a gun shoot four to five times it's normal group size Big Grin

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7.62-Christmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 16:08
Hey Grant,
Thats a neat looking AK! The mismatched parts look cool, they give it a personalized look.
I should get the scope today, so I will let you guys know how it works. I want to give a shout out to SWFA's great customer service as to helping me with my purchase!

I sold my chicom KV-04s scope mount copy and bought the REAL KV-04s scope mount. Now, the scope package comes with the Burris PEPR mount. I am not sure if that will place it too high or not, so I ordered a set of TMI rings. They were 25 dollars and had 1 inch inserts and 2 types of ring tops-1 with a picatinny top and one plain. They are essentially a copy of the Burris rings. They are just as low too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic