OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting with .300 Whisper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting with .300 Whisper
    Posted: May/27/2011 at 07:00

Was looking for some more pigs to shoot with the .300 Whisper.  Didn't run across any, but shot 3 raccoons and a possum with the 220 gr SMK at approx 1040 fps from a suppressed Contender.

1)  Raccoon #1 was shot through both shoulders at 60 yards, little hole in, little hole out, ran about 50 yds and stopped to rest.  Had to be shot again.

2)  Raccoon #2 was shot under the same feeder, same distance, but in the head, dropped immediately.

3)  A possum joined the queue, was shot through the breast and ran across 100+ yds of open field and was found just inside the woodline, little hole in, little hole out.  The bullet he was hit with also went all the way through an oak sapling that was 4-5 inches in diameter.

4)  Raccoon #3 was shot from about 20 yds away on the path back to my vehicle.  He was pretty fat, and the exit wound was about 2" long and narrow.  Either he was fat enough to give the bullet time to yaw or it hit a big enough bone to upset it.  Even so, he ran about 75 yds down the path and had to be shot again.

The subsonics seem to penetrate well, but don't have a very dramatic effect even on small animals.  I'll limit this particular load (Corbon) to head shots.  

Interestingly, if this round is zeroed at 100 yds, it impacts about 3" high at 50 yds and requires memorization of several different POIs for common shooting distances at night.  However, if you zero at 100 and then dial in 4" of drop, the new zero is at 20 yds and 70 yds with only about an inch deviation high between those points, which is a very simple and usable zero for night hunting.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 07:05

I have seen some places on forums where they are drilling the tips of the SMKs a bit larger to make it expand more, never tried this though
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 09:37
With subs, it is pretty much the same as using a pistol. On the smaller game you might want to consider a "softer" bullet, so it will disrupt easier.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 10:28
I've moved to 208-gr Amax out of my Whisper (at subsonic speeds.)   It opens a little, but just a little - on the small critters, that is.

With a whisper, it is all about placement.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 10:30
Rancid, have you tried the 208's in you Win Mag yet?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 10:37
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Rancid, have you tried the 208's in you Win Mag yet?
I use them some in mine BB,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 10:48
I really like the 178's in my short mag. Haven't tried the 208's yet.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 18:59
I've been reading about the .300 whisper... With such low velocity how would a regular ol' cast bullet do? Is there any reason not to use a cast bullet with a suppressed firearm? A gas checked bullet should keep things clean. I know they shoot well with reduced loads out of my 30-06.

Shooting those light loads through a suppressed TC must be a hoot. What's the noise like? Is there any reason at all for hearing protection? I guess its something like a car door slamming?
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2011 at 23:54
Sorry, been offline for a little bit.

SVT--  I'll search about drilling the tip.  Anything that will help it open, even a little, will help.

billyburl2--  I'd love a softer bullet, but am not willing to start reloading yet, so I'm a little stuck until someone brings a good commercial load to market.  I'm hoping that the 300 AAC being SAAMI will bring some good subsonic loads that can be used in the Whispers.

Rancid Coolaid--  I saw Hornady is loading the Amax, but haven't seen any for sale.  I assume you're loading your own.  If yours are opening a little at subsonic speeds in smaller game, I'd like to see what they'll do with something thicker or if they hit a shoulder blade.

anomad--  I don't know much about what would happen with a cast bullet.  Since I don't reload I haven't looked at anything other than the Corbons.  I'd have to research if cast would cause a problem with the suppressor.  A nice flat-nosed heavy bullet might be more effective if it will be accurate.  If someone doesn't come out with a good subsonic bullet commercially relatively soon, I may have to break down and learn how to reload.  The noise from the light loads in the suppressed Contender is very quiet, similar to a pellet rifle, less than a door slamming.  Hearing protection is absolutely unnecessary. 
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 21:58
Originally posted by penguin6 penguin6 wrote:

anomad--  I don't know much about what would happen with a cast bullet.  Since I don't reload I haven't looked at anything other than the Corbons.  I'd have to research if cast would cause a problem with the suppressor.  A nice flat-nosed heavy bullet might be more effective if it will be accurate.  If someone doesn't come out with a good subsonic bullet commercially relatively soon, I may have to break down and learn how to reload.  The noise from the light loads in the suppressed Contender is very quiet, similar to a pellet rifle, less than a door slamming.  Hearing protection is absolutely unnecessary. 

I know the Scandinavians use cast bullets in their suppressed guns. And suppressors are encouraged there, as they should be. I've read about that over the years on different forums.

The only things I would worry about is suppressors are expensive and aren't the easiest things to clean. (Someone tell me otherwise if I'm wrong, I don't have one.) If a cast bullet caused additional vaporized material or crud to enter the baffles, it may not be worth it. But I think with the low velocities and a gas check it wouldn't matter.

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to get dies and do some load development for you. I'd bet a dollar a nice cast bullet designed for 30-30 cowboy action loads would be just the ticket. I've shot a lot of cast bullets in 30-06, 30-30 and 44 magnum rifle, the accuracy is good out to 100 yards. I haven't tried shooting them for groups at longer ranges and expect they would not hold up to the better aerodynamics of a HPBT at distance. They'll certainly knock over silhouettes at longer distances though, I've done that.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 07:27
My suppressor is about as easy to clean as it gets.  Unscrew it off the gun, spray it out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, let it air dry.... done. 
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 00:00
Man I wish they would be better about suppressors in the US
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic