OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22lr: appropriate target size vs range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22lr: appropriate target size vs range
    Posted: May/26/2011 at 11:14
Alright guys I redneck engineered me up a gong type target cause im cheap/broke.   I do have those little spinnger targets I been shooting it has 3 spinners: 1.5, 2.5, 3.5in targets. Well I made a bigger  one thats 6x6.  My goal is to take my 22trainer  and I want to shoot out eventaully to 300 yards with it.
My question is  what would be and ideal target size for ranges? As long as the wind is not changing constantly ,  I can pretty consistantly hit the 1.5" spinner at 100 yards.
So what would be an appropriate  size targets  for a 22LR at 100,150,200,250,300 yards? Its not about my current skill level but I want to progress skill/knowledge level to match what the rifle is capable of. I just dont  know what the standard for a 22LR is at those types of ranges.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 11:36
I'm assuming your using a scope. To get to 300yds you will first need enough adjustment in your scope to get a 22lr to 300yds. If you have the adjustment to get to 300yds, and you are hitting a 1.5 inch target at 100yds, simply multiply your target size by 3; 3x1.5=4.5. That will be a tough shot with a 22lr, but doable. The same can be applied to your other taget sizes.

I tried to get a 22lr out to 300yds, but I didn't have enough adjustment in the scope I was using and the best I could do was 240yds.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 11:43
I think with a 22lr given the limitations of the round  A good step would be 2" at 100, 4" at 200 and 6" at 300,   Youll have a lot more fun hitting 6" at 300 than missing 4.5" at 300.Wink
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 12:05

Its a savage mark II with an SS wolf &  target match ammo. I have just a touch over 60 moa of useable elevation left.  According to the ballistic calculators i  need about 50moa to get to 300 from my zero.  yea i thought about the just mulitplying it out but that seemd to small.  Didnt really seem realistic for a 22. I dont feel that its a 1.5 MOA rifle all the way out.

Yea SVT I was think my new 6"x 6" would prob be good for about 250- 300. ill have to work at it though. I think hitting a 6x6 at 300 will be hard but extremely fun and I extremely rewarding to be able to hit something at that range with a off the shelf 22.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 15:12
clay targets work well at 300  yds. A lot depends on the scope and its magnification range, A 4x will do it but its on the edge, and hard to read the wind from the strikes. A 32x works well also but the smaller fov also limits strike observation, however with subsonic or standard velocity thats gone sub. you can watch the bullet go to target, especially if the sun is at your back. Your savage can hit that range if you can read the wind. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 16:23
Yea i think my SS10x  is good enough I can make hits. I know have have to get my range just right though. otherwise good chance I will hit low or miss completely, if i miss range it by 10 yards or so.
Yea I use the wolf match target ammo. GREAT stuff for the money.  me and  friend usually go shooting together. So we can spot each others shots. Great too take my Pentax spotter and  watch vapor trails. I dont have a range finder so i gotta range it with my scope. Once my my elevation is right I just got to deal with the invisible menace. farthest ive shot it so far was about 175 with my spinner.  I am really looking forward to seeing what i can do with it.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 20:08
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Its a savage mark II with an SS wolf &  target match ammo.

Sounds like a good set up for .22lr Silhouette matches. I don't know if they exist in your area? But, I have had a lot of fun with these matches. They are affordable and provide some good fun and competition. The targets are smaller at closer range, squirrels, and get larger as you move way out to the coyotes. The game is won on the coyote rack.

I've used a fixed 12x Leupold (dialing in elevation and holding windage) and a mil-dot variable (holding both wind and elevation using the dots) with some success.

I had the notion to build a 200 dollar sillywet gun, just to spite the Anschutz guys... Got the cheapest Savage Mark II, about 130 dollars with a coupon a few years ago. But my tastes for optics has "matured" to the point I want to put a 300 dollar scope on that little fella.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 06:20

Not any silo matches here  i know of.  I love my SS on my trainier.  prob best money I ever spent.  I have had a alot of people ask me what type of gun am I shooting. I say Savage 22. They say NO WAY your  hitting 1-3.5"  targets 100-175  yards away  with a 22.  The gun is accurate, but it wouldnt be anything without the SS10x on top of it. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 13:58
i found this on snipershide. this is the dimenisions for their 100-300 yard 22 targets:
100YD TQ-4
X Bull =1”
10 Ring =2” (.5” on each side from X)
1” space between the rest ….
9 Ring = 4”
8 Ring =6”
7 Ring = 8”
6 Ring =10”
5 Ring =12”

200YD A-21
X Bull =2”
10 Ring =4” (1” space on each side from X)
2” Space between the rest…..
9 Ring =8”
8 Ring = 12”
7 Ring = 16”

300YD MR-63
X Bull = 2.85"
10 Ring = 5.8" (1.5" space on each side from X)
1.5" Space from 10 to 9
9 Ring = 8.85"
1.5" Space from 9 to 8
8 Ring = 11.85"
3" Space from 8 to 7
7 Ring = 17.85"

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 20:19

stork, I have the same set up as you & have been shooting out to 292 yrds for about 2 years.I shoot at a 8"x6" steel plate,which I hit regularly[8 out of 10 shots]I use Wolf  or Federal gold ammo out to 200yds but I go to Eley black box for the long shots,just seems to be more consistent.These are all 40grn.

I also did a glass bed & recrowned the barrel,that seemed to have helped with my accuracy.A friend of mine bought the same Savage & just couldn't stay consistent out past 150 yrds till he did the glass & recrown.Now he's a happy camper.His .22 prefers RWS over the Wolf or the Fed gold,but he does get it when he shifts to the Eley black box[that stuff is very expensive,not worth $118 a brick]fun to shoot though.

We also both use a SS10X,my drop is approx 2.5 mills.Off a 0 degree picatinney rail,with steel rings..Good luck & good shooting. 

Edited by stickbow46 - May/27/2011 at 20:23
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic