OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help needed!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed!!!
    Posted: May/24/2011 at 20:36
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site but not new to firearms or optics.  Due to economic times I am in need of help picking out optics that are inexpensive but not cheap.  I am very familiar with the Leupold MK4 lineup, US Optics, and Swarovski for long range and ACOG's and EO Techs for CQB and mid range.  All of them being higher end and more expensive optics.  

Where my dilemma now lies is that I have built as close of a replica to a MK12 Mod O as possible and due to economic times can not afford the optics that I would have normally put on the rifle.   The least expensive piece of glass that I have any personal experience with is a Shephard 6-18 scope.  The rest of the glass that I have personally used is what is mentioned above.

I have looked through the sample list and there seem to be a lot of great scopes there that would most likely fit my needs but I don't know anyone that has used many of the lesser expensive ones to ask how they are and how they compare to what I have used.

I am looking for something that is either FFP mil dot or a BDC reticle that I can adjust for my bullet.  This rifle will mostly use 75gr TAP ammo for medium to long range applications out to 600yrds with the occasional CQB role so variable power is a must.  I prefer a 30mm tube but a good 1" tube would be fine.

As for a price range, I will either sell or trade my EO Tech 3X magnifier and possibly one of my spare model 551's plus up to $200.  I would rather not have to get rid of the spare 551 unless absolutely necessary.  So I would imagine that would put the budget between $450-$800 depending on how much I can get for the EO Techs.  I would prefer to stay towards the lower end of this budget.

The things that caught my eye so far are the Burris 3-12X50 XTR, Nikon 3-12X42 M223 with BDC reticle, and the SS 3-9X42.  I have never looked through any of these scopes and do not know anyone that has so any input will be most appreciated.  

I am planning on getting something from the sample list to get the most glass for my money.

Thank you all in advance for your input and help.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 21:00
My recommendation is the SS. It has very good glass, FFP, and .1 mil turrets. It was pretty much designed for the role you are describing.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 21:13
I would have to say that the recommendation just given is hard to beat price wise.  The FFP with the lower magnification is a very limiting factor in the price range.  6-24ish is where the others lay at around $150 more than what your budget is.

I have tried the 3-9 and it did better than I thought It would and I went in with very high expectations.
No one
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 21:39
Thank you for the prompt reply.  

I have read great things about the SS line of scopes but all reviews and articles that I have had the chance to read were about the fixed power scopes.  To hear that your expectations were surpassed with the 3X9 is very comforting indeed.  

On the 3 power setting how is the eye box for short range quick target acquisition along with how forgiving is the eye relief in this situation?

Again, thank you for your input.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 21:45
I would have to say that you cannot compare this to an EO TECH or an ACOG.

I am guessing you understand this concept

It is decent for 3x acquisition but it is not a point shoot you will have to do some  exercises to perfect it but once you have it down you will be fine.  Proper Weld as well as proper LOP and feel for your head and position will have to be mastered.

I say that not to bring fear to you but so that you understand it is a little differing than the huge Sight Picture of the ACOG or the wideview of the EO-Tech.

I am sure you understand what I am trying to say.

Again I cannot think of a scope that will do as well as a 3-9 but I am just hinting and stating the obvious you will not just be able to mount it and start dropping steel without some practice of getting your head on straight so to speak.
No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 22:18
Yes I fully understand what you are saying and I completely agree with being familiar with your weapon and practicing cheek weld for all situations to obtain sight alignment and sight picture.  

I guess I should have clarified my question as to not imply confusion or suggest that I might be comparing it to the ACOG or EO Tech for short range work on the lowest setting.

I have used the Leupold Mk 4 LRT 3.5-10 FFP on a similar weapon and on rare occasion had to transfer from a long range role to CQB with the same weapon.  I can always mount an RMR ,Doctor, or J-Point or other red dot if need be, but with the Leupold for me it was not necessary.  

So, on a low power setting would you say that the eye relief and eye box of the SS 3-9 is close to or comparable to the 3.5-10 Leupold MK4 on a low power setting?  If it is close to the same than it sounds like a perfect match for me.  

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 22:47
I cannot talk leupold without having a bad taste in my mouth.

I am sorry but I am not a leupold lover.

I would comment but it would not be based on fact just mere opinion.

I do on the contrast like the older m8 leupolds as they were pretty decent for there day and the edges just fade away.

Check back tomorrow after a few more people have seen this post hopefully you will find someone who has owned the scope you are referring to.

I think you will find that someone does have that exact scope.

I am being as honest as possible.  I do not have much to compare it to in that range, I could compare it to a Kahles, which I would say it was as nice glass bright or color but it did just as well putting it up and getting a great sight picture quickly.

No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 23:14
I appreciate your honesty and understand where you are coming from with it.  We all have used different things and have things that we like and dislike for various reasons.  As the saying goes, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."  

I have found that when asking for a persons opinion and input especially when it comes to gear, if they say they don't like it, you get a more honest answer followed by an in depth reason why.  This seems to be from the fact that the reason they don't like it involves a lot more emotion and or specific reasons.  Thats not to say when they do like it its not because of a specific reason, just that most people are able to verbalize negative feelings easier than positive ones.

I can say that I am with you on not being a Leupold lover but I have used them a lot.  There are only a few optics I have used that were less expensive than them thus the reason I am here asking for help and input from those that have knowledge and experience with a wider range of optics. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 07:22
Cody, you mentioned mounting a dot or some sort for quick close combat, Trijicon has one right now for a steal!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 09:29
SVT_Tactical, thank you for the link.  That is a great price for those and they are a very nice mini red dot sight.  At that price I might have to pick one up for the Just In Case I need one factor.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 09:38
You could run this setup
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
With this on there as the top half the ring (confirm with SWFA it will fit before taking my word on it)
SS3-9 and then throw that trijicon on top and your set.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 10:53
That looks like a very robust mount.  From the picture it looks like you can view through the bottom of it but I can't tell for sure.  Do you know if you can?  Also do you know if the mount is steel or aluminum?  Steel is generally stronger but a lot heavier and with 1 piece mounts I have never seen a problem with quality aluminum mounts.  

I will send them an e-mail to get more info on the setup.

Thank you for the links and suggestions.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:03
It is aluminum and no you cannot see through the bottom of it.  The SSALT is a pretty good mount.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:29
Thank you supertool73.  

I just got word back from The Sample List for my trade ins and I noticed the group buy in on the forum here for the SS 3-9 with ARD, Bobro mount, sunshade, and lens caps for $599.  I am strongly considering getting this combo if it is still available.

Are there any other recommendations that would be in this price range?  I am not opposed to getting a used optic from The Sample List as they have been highly recommended.  I didn't see any variable SS scopes on the list though.  Do any of you know how often they update the list?

Thank you again for the input.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:34
That group buy is a crazy good deal.  I have 3 bobro mounts, they are the bomb IMO.  You cannot go wrong with an SS scope.

They update the Sample list often, I would bet daily. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:56
If I don't see a used SS 3-9  by Friday when I have my trade ins packed up than I am going to go ahead and go for the combo if there are any left.  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 13:28
The SS 3-9s do show up on the SL from time to time but normally only last about 12-24 hrs before someone buys them.  You can subscribe to get emails when they update it.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 13:43
Excellent!  I will subscribe for that right now.  Thank you for the tip.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 20:53
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 16:35
Based on what you described, the 3-9x42 S.S. is the best option for you both in terms of price and performance.

For closer range stuff, you can add a mini-red dot of some sort later on.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic