OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Call to Arms - Cats Pass Disease to Wildlife.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Call to Arms - Cats Pass Disease to Wildlife.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Call to Arms - Cats Pass Disease to Wildlife.
    Posted: May/24/2011 at 13:41
In case you've not heard of this yet:

Cats pass disease to wildlife, even in remote areas.

You can't just use them just for target practice anymore and leave them there. Keep a folding camp-shovel handy or something, or transport the carcass safely sealed in a trash-bag to where they can then be disposed of properly. You need to bury them to prevent any wildlife from eating the carcass. If a wild animal eats an infected cat carcass it will die from it, as will anything that feeds on the one that died, and so-on and so-on.

Just as, or even more importantly -- permanently get rid of any strays you find in your yards and gardens. A cat just defecating on your property can be a death-sentence to your family members and your own animals. Wear gloves when transporting and disposing of the carcass -- by incineration or burying it deeply enough so no other wildlife or humans can come in contact with it again.

Thought you might like to know.

Please tell others.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 15:29
I'm not a big fan of cats - don't own any, don't plan on it - but unless you live in an area with a lot of problem animals I wouldn't go out blasting and shoveling. A little-known fact: About 1 in 10 Americans harbor Toxoplasmosis but rarely show symptoms. Some countries, where people eat a lot of raw or lightly-cooked meat, it's as high as 9 in 10. So obviously there is very little mortality. Saying a cat sh**ing in your yard could be a death sentence to you or your family is taking things a little too far. The people who are at risk are unborn infants and those suffering from auto-immune disorders.

There's no doubt cats are the primary carriers but again it just is drastic to say that every stray that comes passing by should be gotten rid of. This reminds me of those OC types you see who spray and wipe everything they own with anti-bacterial products then wonder why their kids have so many allergies. If you hunt, avoid contact with brains or spinal cord tissue, avoid undercooked meat, wash your fruits and vegetables and otherwise remember that you have an immune system.
Reaction time is a factor...
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 19:51
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

There's no doubt cats are the primary carriers but again it just is drastic to say that every stray that comes passing by should be gotten rid of.

There was a stray cat that used to take a shortcut through my fenced back yard.

My boy Guinness found it making the same mistake twice...
keo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 04:23
"The life cycle of T. gondii has two phases. The sexual part of the life cycle (coccidia like) takes place only in cats, both domestic and wild (family Felidae), which makes cats the parasite's primary host."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Destroy all cats and Toxoplasmosis becomes a thing of the past. All other animals get it from cats.

"Acute stage Toxoplasma infections can be asymptomatic, but often give flu-like symptoms in the early acute stages, and like flu can become, in very rare cases, fatal. The acute stage fades in a few days to months, leading to the latent stage. Latent infection is normally asymptomatic; however, in the case of immunocompromised patients (such as those infected with HIV or transplant recipients on immunosuppressive therapy), toxoplasmosis can develop. The most notable manifestation of toxoplasmosis in immunocompromised patients is toxoplasmic encephalitis, which can be deadly. If infection with T. gondii occurs for the first time during pregnancy, the parasite can cross the placenta, possibly leading to hydrocephalus or microcephaly, intracranial calcification, and chorioretinitis, with the possibility of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or intrauterine death."

Yes, that sounds so harmless, doesn't it.

Since I don't know when the next pregnant woman might visit to walk through the woods or pick some veggies from the garden, and since I'm not going to ask every visitor their medical history --- ALL CATS MUST DIE. I also prefer all other wildlife to cats. ALL CATS MUST NOW DIE.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 10:41
Lets just scratch out cat and wright in Jew; I'm sure Hitler did the same thing.

I've lived with cats all my life, and I have NEVER observed the carnage you are talking about. I think your trying to support your PHOBIA with junk science.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:07
By the same logic, all lightning strikes must be prevented since so many people die. Worry about the things that are worth worrying about and forget the rest.
Reaction time is a factor...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 11:20
I saw a cat today...am I doomed?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
keo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 04:41
How about that. I didn't suspect that other hunters would be such blatant idiots. Okay, if them spreading toxic diseases across the country to all wildlife and humans isn't enough, then here's another good reason:

Due to cats being genetically engineered through selective breeding, they all have varying coloring patterns. If a cat has bold patterns this is perceived by ALL wildlife as the universal symbol for toxic defense mechanisms or olfactory defense mechanisms. A wild animal that could be its predator won't touch it or go near it. If they see another cat without bold patterns, now they won't consider that one as a food source either because they saw one that was toxic by its coloring patterns. If a starving wild animal eats a cat that's infected with Toxoplasma gandii and feels even ill from it, it won't ever go near a cat again.

Cats are an invasive species. Bred by man for man’s purposes through selective-breeding, a form of genetic engineering. They are NOT an indigenous species anywhere on the planet today and have NO PLACE in nature. They have no more right to be out in the natural world than some genetically engineered insect that, if released out into nature, would destroy all wildlife. JUST AS THEY ARE ALREADY DOING EVERYWHERE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO ROAM FREE.

It's not just the loss of game-bird populations either. Feral cats and farmers that let theirs roam free have decimated the natural food-chain in my woods. The resident foxes, owls, and other predator animals no longer had a food source. The feral cats destroyed all the smaller animals that all others depended on. The native species all starved to death. That's what cats do to ALL native animals.

I live where it is perfectly legal to defend your property and animals from destruction by others' animals. I lost count after dispatching the first 20 piece-of-s*** vermin with a good .22, outfitted with laser-sight and zoom rifle-scope. I didn't have to waste even one bullet, making this solution highly economical as well. Think of how many dollars and hours of your lives that you have spent trapping, transporting, calling, complaining, restoring damaged property, et.al. ... and still all the problems that these useless cat-lovers have caused remains. If your aim is good this is far more humane than methods that "humane" societies use. Instead of dying a slow death by animal-shelter methods they don't even know they've been shot. It is now the preferred method for disposing of feral cats in many states. (In fact, shooting is too good for them. By all rights they should be made to starve a slow death, just like they caused to all the predator wildlife. Or maimed to die a slow death, just like they did to all the prey they destroyed. But I'm not as inhumane as cat-lovers and cats are.)

It's time to give cats and cat-lovers the same consideration and respect that they have for all humans and all wildlife--that means NONE. Don't waste your time arguing with disrespectful, inconsiderate, and ignorant cat-lovers either, as I stupidly tried to do too many times in the past. Just do what needs to be done and there'll be nothing to argue about.

This year owls and foxes have returned to my woods. Through a large effort of my own, including raising and releasing native mice and voles to help repopulate the species that their piece-of-s*** cats destroyed. Their lousy cats are finally gone. But I'll shoot again on first-sight the first chance I get (and anyone who tries to stop me from doing what needs to be done). The rewards for ridding one's land of ALL cats and restoring the native wildlife population are far too great.

NOW do you feel less stupid? Probably not. At least look up the definition of the word "moron". (A person who is ineducable.)

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 06:37
We are a tolerant bunch here.  We allow people to comment on various and sundry topics and allow for the inanity of many.  However, this Forum will NOT allow anyone to make blatant threats of violence against other members or anyone else. 

Keo is suspended and strongly advised to never join this Forum again...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 07:36
Loco
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 07:41
Pinedale syndrome?
God save the Empire!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 09:04
Thank you Kb.
His statements don't match facts, and his........................well, I'll just leave it there.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 17:47
I wish someone had warned me about the dangers of these guys before we got this one. 

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 18:28
Not allowed

Edited by Kickboxer - May/27/2011 at 21:07
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 20:44

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 20:58
hmm, I like my cat.  I have no mice problems because of him.  Plus he keeps other cats from being in my yard. 

He looks like such a ferocious beast. 

Edited by supertool73 - May/27/2011 at 21:02
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 21:06

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2011 at 01:01
Sorry about the inappropriate language... I couldn't figure out how to edit it...and it was funny!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2011 at 08:10
Here is another Educational Tidbit from the same Blogsite that brought us this riveting topic.....

Maybe they have a study about how to educate rednecks to believe in Global Warming.....
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 07:29
Got to the party late, but as for keo,

GOOD RIDDANCE.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic