OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-9x42 vs Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmcelroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-9x42 vs Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 ???
    Posted: May/23/2011 at 21:37
Looking for a scope to be used on a Remington 700 AAC-SD for hunting, range and target shooting.  My range only goes out to 300 yards, but I plan on shooting out to 600-1,000 yards in the country.

Looking for a mil-dot scope with target turrets.

Had decided on the SS 3-9x42 Kit, but seeing as it's on back order i'm considering other options.

The other scope that i'm looking at is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with Mil-dot.  It's moa/mil instead of mil/mil like the SS, don't know if that's a deal breaker or not.

I'd wait for the 5-20 SS but really want to shoot this gun before July.

The SS will end up costing around $475 once I sell the Bobro mount, the Zeiss is $625.

Not sure if the Zeiss is enough of a upgrade or not?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 22:21
The main difference I see is that Zeiss is a one inch tube so far less internal adjustment which you may want at longer distances.  I would suggest you place your order for the 5-20x50 Super Sniper immediately without delay using the snipers hide promo code.  Better to wait a tad longer and have the right scope want to shoot the gun now stick a cheap scope on it or one you can use on something else like the sale priced 2-7 Vortex Viper.
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope V-Plex Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • 40% OFF
$149.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/23/2011 at 22:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 22:39
Do you want a FFP or a SFP scope?  That will make a difference in which you chose.

Urimaginaryfrnd has a good suggestion. And you could probably sell the Vortex for what you pay once you get the SS 5-20.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
stmcelroy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmcelroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 22:46
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Do you want a FFP or a SFP scope?  That will make a difference in which you chose.

Urimaginaryfrnd has a good suggestion. And you could probably sell the Vortex for what you pay once you get the SS 5-20.

I'm a newbie when it comes to long range shooting, it's not really important to me at this point.

I've got Mueller APT's on a couple of rimfires and like the setup, just looking for something higher quality for a gun I may hunt with.

My current hunting gun wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 w/Z600 reticule.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 08:53
I have both a zeiss 4.5-14x50 (with target turrets) and a SS 3-9, glass is close to a wash.  Some days the SS is clearer to my eyes other days the Zeiss.  As far as feel and ease of use the SS wins hands down. Being able to have a reticle that matches the turrets and a FFP scope it fits my SPS Tactical perfect.  Between the two and what I believe your goals are, the SS gets my nod of recommendation here.  Although waiting for the 5-20 if you want it would be smarter than rushing and not getting a what you want.
stmcelroy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmcelroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:33
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I have both a zeiss 4.5-14x50 (with target turrets) and a SS 3-9, glass is close to a wash.  Some days the SS is clearer to my eyes other days the Zeiss.  As far as feel and ease of use the SS wins hands down. Being able to have a reticle that matches the turrets and a FFP scope it fits my SPS Tactical perfect.  Between the two and what I believe your goals are, the SS gets my nod of recommendation here.  Although waiting for the 5-20 if you want it would be smarter than rushing and not getting a what you want.

I wouldn't mind having the capabilities of the 5-20, but the weight is kind of a issue if I end up using this for hunting.

I'll give the 3-9 a try and see how it compares to my Zeiss Conquest.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:41
I have a 4.5-14x50 Conquest with z-plex reticle and target turrets, and a 3-9x42 SS. Oh heck, take the suggestions above and order the 5-20x50 SS and the 2-7x32 Vortex. I wouldn't be comfortable trying to get to 1000yds with a 3-9 power scope, and the Conquest's lack of adjustment (for that range) and moa/mil turret/reticle combination would soon give me a headache trying to convert the figures. Don't get me wrong, both scopes you are looking at, are excellent scopes and would serve you well, especially if the 600-1,000yd shots are not that frequent or important. If the longer shots are impotant to you then wait for the 5-20x50 SS. The 2-7x32 Vortex is a versatile scope that would easily fill your needs til the SS arrived.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:42
you won't be sorry, I'd opt for the kit so you can get the added accessories
stmcelroy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stmcelroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 09:46
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

you won't be sorry, I'd opt for the kit so you can get the added accessories

That's what I did.Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic