OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope ?s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moutainboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope ?s
    Posted: January/09/2006 at 19:55
hi yall is there a cite or post some were that explains start to finish of 3*9*50.i guess im asking how do i decide by the numbers .what they will do as far as [ being able to pic target out in thick timber, low light yall know .so i can look at a scope an say well 3*9*40 is ok but maybe a 50 might be better ..what the heck is fifty ?get my drift dumb as a box a rocks . but can learn .if it was a  2006 lexus i could fix it an so on ..
MOUTAINBOY lives
joe owens section al.
joeowens47@yahoo.com
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2006 at 21:29

The numbers at the begining 3-9   are the power or magnification range of a scope.  Meaning that a 3-9 has a magnification range that starts at 3 power and when turned all the way up it goes to nine power.  Think of binoculars, which the most common is either 8 power or 10 power so that gives you an idea of what magnification you are looking at.  Lower power is better for closer range shots, if you have too much magnification you wont get a good overall view of the target if it is too close.  The same is true if you are shooting far distances you will want more magnification.

The third number usually written with an x in the front (example 3-9x50) is the size of the front lens of the scope or the objective.  a 3-9x40 will have the same magnification as a 3-9x50 but the 50 will be a bigger lens.  A bigger objective allows more light in so in theory the object will look brighter in low light.  HOWEVER,  the coatings and quality on the glass is much more important than objective size.  Personally I dont like 50mm Objectives on a hunting rifle.  The scope is just too big and heavy to lug around out in the field.  For a rifle that will be shot off a bench or for targets then it is ok. 

You mentioned that you plan to shoot in thick timber I am assuming that shots will be at short distances?  If so a good low powered scope made by a good quality company like ( Bushnell Elites, Nikon, Weaver Grandslams, Pentax, Leupold or Burris would be great).  Also what gun is the scope going on (type and caliber)

Happy shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

moutainboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moutainboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2006 at 21:38
thanks for info .just wright .as far as gun /cal, ok im tinkering around with the idea of buyin a H&R handi . for starters cal i guess is either going to be a 280 for deer , maybe another barrel of a 223/22-250. sothin like that for shure 280. enless i here somthin bad about a 280 .i shoot a 243 rem bolt gun for deer now .any opions or sugestions would be great .           ;  what would you go with /deer season isnt far from over .so leaning towards smaller cal. 223 or somthin.so i can bench shot an  may be even a yottie or 2.

Edited by moutainboy
MOUTAINBOY lives
joe owens section al.
joeowens47@yahoo.com
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 04:11

Acenturian gave you some good advise.

I'd like to try to talk you out of the .280 barrel though.

Great caliber for deer and such, but hard to find a lot of good factory ammo options. Assuming you don't reload. If so, disregard.

The .30/06 or .270 would be a better choice, I would think. 

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
moutainboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moutainboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 05:09
no i dont reload .just thought .well my first 2 choices for a new gun for deer were 270/308.then came along 280.that all i know about the 280.thought good inbetween cal .recon 308 is a jam up cal ?an 270 also.and truthfuly the30.06 well most around here think if yu dont have 30.06 you cant kill a deer. guess i  want to be alitle different. so guess ill be going to a 270..if yu had 270 single shot .what scope would yu use on it .oh an was liven wk by wk  

thanks for help .
MOUTAINBOY lives
joe owens section al.
joeowens47@yahoo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic