OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for advice on Nikon scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 23:44
bman your table is pretty much what I was expecting. What I was saying is the first mark goes from 222yds at 9x to 332yds at 3x. I don't care for the fact that the circles in the case of nikon go from a useable 222, 332,424,552 yd progression at 9x to a 332,620 ,800,1000 yd progression at 3x. Since I mostly keep my scope at 3-4 power when hunting the range finding is pretty useless in practical hunting use. Now if you are wanting to shoot targets off the bench and fiddle with your scope then it's a different matter . All I was stating is the OP should be aware of how range finding scopes really work as I find a lot of people think the ranges stay constant as the power is changed and are disappointed when they get them and find out otherwise. If he thinks that is cool then by all means.

I wasn't picking on nikon as most of the other brands work the same way.

Edited by powderburn - May/27/2011 at 13:27
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 12:04
No worries Powder. With so many different reticles to choose from I relish questions about our BDC Scopes.
Obviously having an accurate Rangfinder plays an important roll as to which BDC cirlce to use. Once a person has put in some range time making the correct sighting adjustment becomes simple. 
I do understand where you are coming from, I also rarely hunt/shoot on maximum magnification, that is what makes the field reference guide such a useful tool for me.

Absolutely, Understanding how the increase or decrease in magnification changes the BDC circles corresponding distances is very important. 
Again, that is something that shows up when using the Field Guide.

Thanks

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 06:56
Originally posted by bman940 bman940 wrote:

T., I think an excellent Nikon Scope for you woud be the Monarch in 4-16x50 BDC, also available in a 42 mm obj  for roughly $500 Retail . This is an excellent scope and will serve you well for many years to come. 

Here's a half assed review of mine on that very scope. 
tarantino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 15:21
haha hey the review's right, despite the briefness! I'm jumping on the Nikon bandwagon i guess! 
Cope6.5/284 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cope6.5/284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 11:32
Originally posted by bman940 bman940 wrote:

T., I think an excellent Nikon Scope for you woud be the Monarch in 4-16x50 BDC, also available in a 42 mm obj  for roughly $500 Retail . This is an excellent scope and will serve you well for many years to come. If sun/glare is going to be an issue I would suggest getting a sunshade also.
As I stated above, I would encourage you to take a look at Nikon's Spot On web site for more info. on your scope/rifle/ammo .

Or you could check out our forum host's site. They have them on their site also and $50 cheaper. SWFA Thunbs Up 

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x50-Monarch-Riflescope-P11160.aspx

Edited by Kickboxer - June/01/2011 at 12:32
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a grocery store, not a government agency
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2011 at 11:35
Absolutely!!!!!

I'm all about saving money and today especially every penny counts. My bad for not checking SWFA first. 

Thanks Cope!!!

Nikon Monarch 4-16x50

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x50-Monarch-Riflescope-P11160.aspx

vetsvette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetsvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 13:20
Couldn't swing the extra money for a Monarch, but my Buckmaster 6-18X40 BDC is really nice. I'm still playing around with the "Spot On" app in anticipation of the droid version. No unwanted emails from Nikon either. My first Nikon scope, but I've had several versions of their SLRs since the early '70s and am not disappointed. This won't be my last Nikon scope. Anyone heard any updates on the Droid app?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 13:47
Originally posted by tarantino tarantino wrote:

haha hey the review's right, despite the briefness! I'm jumping on the Nikon bandwagon i guess! 

I like to keep my reviews short and sweet.......Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic