OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Battery life & durability of the "other" red dots?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Battery life & durability of the "other" red dots?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery life & durability of the "other" red dots?
    Posted: May/23/2011 at 16:13
There's a lot of info to be had on Aimpoint's when it comes to battery life but are there any other red dots(parallax free ones) that has comparable battery life and still can take the abuse that an Aimpoint can?

oldolds442 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldolds442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2011 at 21:52

if you want a red dot, get an aimpoint.  lots of good deals out there on used ones if you look. get the best and you wont be dissapointed

Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 03:56
I have used a lot of Aimpoints and EoTechs in the Army and at work.  I have not yet heard of another red dot optic that has the claimed battery life of the Aimpoint.

A few things I would suggest when contemplating getting a red dot optic are:

1)  Get a set of back up iron sights, batteries or electronics will fail at some point.
2)  try several of them out to get a feel for the reticle and brightness settings.
3)  determine if you will ever use NV with them as that will make a difference on price.
4)  when testing them, determine which one your brain likes the input from the most.
5)  what maximum distance do you intend to engage targets at?

My personal experience has shown me that my brain takes the image and processes it quicker while looking at a target through an EoTech with the 65 MOA ring and the more squared off glass than any other red dot sight I have used.  Some people find that the circular image and single dot from the aimpoint works better for them.  This is strictly a preference thing, not that one is better than the other.

I have never had a problem with either as far as durability.  Both are excellent products and work well for their intended use.  With that said, I have seen both fail at very inopportune times be it batteries go dead or circuits go out.  Again, batteries and electronics will at some point fail.  That is why you always want back up iron sights and spare batteries that can be stored on the weapon.   Murphy will always find a way to sneak into the game.

As far as using them with NV again I prefer the EoTech with having a lower light setting than the Aimpoints that I had used.  Keep in mind I have not used an Aimpoint with NV since 2005 so I do not know if the newer models have improved with the range of light settings.  

I bring up the question of "How far do you plan on shooting" since most red dot's vary in the size of the actual dot.  They range from 1 MOA up to as high as 13 MOA that I have seen.  Large dots are fine for very close range (25 meters or less) where precision is not as critical but at longer ranges can cause you to completely miss your target.  

Yes it's nice to know that you should be able to leave your sight turned on for 3 years and not have to worry about changing a battery but in my opinion there are more important things to consider when getting a red dot sight than just battery life.

I know this is more info than you asked for but I hope it is helpful to you.

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2011 at 07:02
Have never used an Aimpoint, but do have a EoTech 512.  As stated above, the 65 MOA circle and the 1 MOA dot were what made me go that route.  I wanted a red dot, but I also wanted to use it out to 50 -100 yards.  Most other brands had dots way to large to be of any use to me.

Now mind you I only bought mine for use as "another option" since I have flip up BUIS, and a 3x9 scope.  Would I do it again........?  I dont' know to be honest.  Flip up sights work pretty damn well for the closer in stuff, and a scope gets it done when I want to reach out a ways.  The red dot is nice, but after having it awhile, not a necessity.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2011 at 12:26
we had a comp M take an 1800 ft digger out of a c130, while on a SAW. the weapon was toast, but the comp m and sure fire survived. no way would an eotech survive that.

we shot the comp m's out to 300 on qual's, with no problem. had to have 36/40 to stay in the unit, i never saw one person RFS'd for not qualifying.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2011 at 16:24
AIMPOINT LOVE!!!!

MasterMaker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterMaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 18:13
You all confirm what I suspected, aimpoint or no point.

Since the only gun I own that hasn't got irons is a .22 I do get your point and I view optics as an added advantage, not something to be relied upon exclusively.

I'm not exactly holding my breath over finding a non-aimpoint that is as durable but I do want to find out if there are any at all that come up in the 10 000 h+ range when it comes to battery life.

It may be more of a theoretical exercise than anything else but it would be nice to know of a few non aimpoints that while not up to aimpoint specs, they would still be heads and shoulders above the 100$ and down crap that most red dots that aren't a aimpoint tends to get grouped with.

PS: I am getting a aimpoint but putting one one every gun I have(either as the only optic or as a secondary CQB optic) just isn't practical with my funds, doing so could also get in the way of getting more guns(making it a non-option).Full Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 18:44
MM, what Aimpoint are you considering? 

Me? I love the micro's like the T-1. One "negative" I can find with Aimpoints is that once you the optic, you have to buy a decent mount for them too, which drives the cost up overall. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 18:47
Same rifle with a Eotech 553, which has a pretty decent integrated (Arms??) mounting system.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic