OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help finding Scope for 308 AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macstrailers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help finding Scope for 308 AR
    Posted: May/23/2011 at 00:59
Hi
I recently puchased a new dpms 308 AR Rifle. i am needing optics.  Have a budget of 500 max.  I only use the gun to shoot coyotes.   We hunt them out of trucks and are always shooting at running dogs.  I am looking for a scope that has a large view (50 or bigger) doent need alot of power 3 x12 4x14 something like that.  Nothing illuminated and dont want any fast adjustments on it.  It is going to get used fairly hard and need it to hold zero.  I havent taken a shot longer than 150 in the last 5 yrs hunting this way.  the only time it will shoot 300 yards is playing with targets.  I have never had a Nice scope. dont honestly know how to shop for one that well and dont need to get taken by some salesmen.  I curently have a few barska scopes on my 223 and slug gun and they work well but i want some quality on this new rifle.  Open to opinions.  THANKS  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 07:17
Several stick out to me as good optics for your purpose.  an all time favorite is the SS 3-9, tough as nails and great glass.  The Samplelist (http://www.samplelist.com/) normally produces them for your price frequently.
or new -
or with an awesome package - (which would be great for you cause of the AR specific mount included)

Edited by SVT_Tactical - May/23/2011 at 07:18
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:03
You really cant beat that deal because the mount alone is over $200. There are other choices that you could consider if you dont want tactical knobs. Of them my suggestions would be 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest,  the fixed 6x42 Leupold VX3 with the long range duplex, or the 2-7 vortex viper on sale. The 6x42 Super Sniper is also an option but I cant imagine paying $300 for that plus $200 for the mount and being so close to the 3-9 deal and not going with the package deal that would be incredibly stupid as the 3-9 is far better glass and has other very useful features.    I really dont think you need over 9x for what you are talkin about and 42mm is plenty where 50 is going to make a large clumsy rifle more clumsy.  I tend to question the choice of a DPMS .308 as the right choice for coyotes but in the 16 in M4 type AP4 gun it would probably work OK but the one that I have 24 in heavy stainless eaven cut down to 20 in is  still too bulky and clumsy and I'd rather have a lighter caliber to not tear up the fur as much, but if you are not saving the fur the .308 will certainly roll them up in a ball. If you didnt specify that you dont want illumination I would have said go with a Trijicon Accupoint or a compact ACOG which is what I use.

Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R2
  • Red Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/23/2011 at 08:16

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:21

here is they type you asked for:

Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 422105M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$419.95
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE4164B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HD
  • Semi-Target Turrets
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Free Rain Suit Coupon
$499.99
Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE4165
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HD
  • Semi-Target Turrets
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Free Rain Suit Coupon
$549.99

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:25
Another option with an AR mount included -
Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit
Stock # - RED67115KIT
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
  • Comes with Burris P.E.P.R. 1" Scope Mount
$279.95 
Check this video out for how it works -

Watch the video to see what happens when you put a Redfield Revolution with the Accu-Range reticle up against five milk jugs spaced 100 yards apart - with a massive 2400mm lens capturing it all in high definition. Now that's some contrail!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - May/23/2011 at 08:26
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:27
other good options include Minox,  arguably conquest level glass at a cheaper pricepoint. CFII at SWFA swears by his http://swfa.com/Minox-ZA-5-Riflescopes-C3107.aspx
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:28
Welcome to the OT Mac!

+1 on the Bushy elite........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 09:57
The SS 3-9 package that SVT recommended would be the best solution. You can't beat a price like that for what you would get.
Reaction time is a factor...
IRON MIKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON MIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 23:29
     Try looking at the Leatherwood 7x30x56 it is a good buy between 350 and 400 I have been shooting F class matches with it at 600 yards on a 308 Savage tactical and it is working great. Bullet is 175 gr. Sierra Using Varget. I am very pleased with the total package.Sharp Shooter
macstrailers View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macstrailers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 23:45
I wanted to let everyone know i found a scope.  Local Gander mountain had a few Nikon Scopes on clearance and i Couldnt say No.  Got a nikon prostaff 3x9x50 for 69.99 new in box.  It was nowhere near my max budget and i dont know if it is to the class of some of the scopes you guys reccommended but it was worth a shot for the money.  If i dont like it i am not out much.   I did really like that bushnell elite 2.5x10x50.  But thanks to everyone for there input.  i will continue to try to learn more about scopes.  fairly new to quality optics.  But again THANKS to all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic