OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

270 win or 7mm 08?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:26
Get Your Popcorn Ready  I like your anecdotes RC
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:45
If you didn't reload I'd say .270 just for ease of finding ammo. As for killing power, I watched as a friend of mine new to hunting fumbled around, got his glove stuck in his bipod, etc. and still managed to make a kill shot on the biggest mule deer buck I've ever been around - 200+ yards up a 20 deg. slope. So I guess it works.

If you consider recoil with hunting bullets, given Nosler's bullet specs and loads you'd pretty much have a wash. According to Bryan Litz' Applied Ballistics, the more exact match weight-wise between 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings would give the nod to the .270 since the G7 BC is 8% higher for the .270. That means you could load lighter (usually more accurate anyway), saving on recoil and barrel wear. Personally, I'd run the Accubonds in 140 gr. out of the .270 and look at a powder like RL15.
Reaction time is a factor...
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:48
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Get Your Popcorn Ready  I like your anecdotes RC

Excellent
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:51
Ive owned a 270 in Win. Featherweight and I really liked that rifle. It killed ALOT of Deer and a couple Cows and 1 Bull Elk, so everything I ever shot at with it died. One cow I shot twice, Im sure she would have went down but I did not want her traveling any further from the truck so I shot her again an inch away from the first lung shot, she then just dropped..
 So I ended up losing that 270 and bought a Kimber 270wsm , its a fancy pants Super America, I sand blasted it and had it Ceracoated Flat Black, Its a purdy Rifle to say the least,, another story..

Since then Ive had several major surgeries and I cannot handle much recoil, never had really liked being kicked much  anyway......So a few of the guys on OT suggested I buy a 7-08 when I asked a question similar to yours...

I bought a Sako Finnlight, all stainless with a  20" barrel, shoots 140 grain AB's fairly well and I will be trying some 120's as soon as my Synthetic Classic Style Stock is finished being built by Wayne York...Even though I really enjoyed my 270's both of em, I will never buy another.. I just love this Sako 7 08,, I have a bunch more rifles since .. The 7 08 is my favorite, it has mild recoil , its very light weight and fits me well, I love the short barrel.. The Sako action is very smooth, Im tempted and very well may just buy another....IMO the 7mm-08 wil do anything the standard 270 will...
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 17:53
Okay, my 2 cents!   162 gr Amax. .625 BC.   162 gr SST .550 BC.
I'm done!   No reason to argue!   

Edited:   Failed to mention.   Caliber 7mm.

So. +1 for the 7mm-08

Edited by Steelbenz - May/23/2011 at 18:03
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 17:56
Ok... KEEP .270, as long as I don't have to have one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 18:07
Not to mention the 175s for the 7mm
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 18:12
I like 7mm and 175's... shoot them from my STW all the time.  Deadly, accurate, NASTY...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 18:31
Didn't know you had such a hardon for the 270 KB.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 19:09

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 21:50
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

.......As an anecdote: a good friend likes to let me shoot things, then - as they lay dying - he shoots it with something much smaller and calls it his kill.  (The 270 in question punched through both lungs of a sow a few years back, she stood by a bush, blood gusting from her sucking chest wounds, and he walked up and popped her in the head with a 9mm and declared her "his pig.")

Roll on Floor LaughingLet me guess is his name Henry Stumberg????   First buck I shot on his family's ranch in Texas I shot with a 30-06 at about 300 yds and he ran up and shot it in the neck pressing his  .243 up to the neck Pow  I killed it I killed it."  I was about 10yrs old he was about 8yrs old.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 22:12
Originally posted by dezmick dezmick wrote:

would i be better off going with a 300 wsm and using it for elk, and using my 7mm wsm for deer with say 140 grn AB,BT, or TTSX.
Quite frankly the 300 WSM and the 7mm WSM are both so similar that there is little advantage to owining both. If you take a step up you should be looking at 338WM or .375 H&H and I doubt you need either of them.  What I am thinking is that you would do well to have a medium recoil caliber that you can enjoy shooting.  I think that the 7mm08 makes sense for you because you can probably find one particualar bullet that will work well in both the 7mm08 and the 7mm WSM really I would stay with the same weight and always load the same bullet in both if you can settle on one that works well in both. Consider availability of the different possible bullets use one that you can always find or mail order in a large quamtity of them.   Other than the 7mm08 I think there is a strong logic to owning a varmit rifle caliber  and of those the only one that can be suitable for deer also is a .243 and most varmit rifles are .204 Ruger  .223  &  22-250.   If by some chance you do not yet have an AR-15 you might consider owning one of those in addition to your bolt action 7mmWSM. An AR-15 can be a good varmit rifle but you can also find the DPMS  AR-10 in a .243 which would be a fine choice for a number of uses.  Argueing calibers is virtually pointless most large centerfire rifles do just about the same thing and each of the calibers has its following,  I tend to shoot the 30  cal guns  .308  30-06  300 WM 300 WSM and of those the one I use the most is a Tikka stainless 300 WSM.  So when you ask should I just stay with only the 7mm WSM my answer is that you certainly could shoot both deer and elk with exactly the same weight bullet and that makes a lot of sense.  Remember each bullet will have a different trajectory so I suggest you standardize on one load and learn it. I knew a gunsmith one time who only owned one pistol and one rifle the pistol was a 4 inch S&W  44 mag and the rifle was a 30-06 M1 Garand and he insisted there was not anything he needed to do that he could not do with those two firearms.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 05:52
Actually I like both and feel there is little practical difference in game killing ability in either. Translation if I was concerned about my 270 not being enough then I sure as he-- wouldn't consider a 7mm-08 or vice versa. Anyway I feel that for any comparable bullet weight the 270 will always have the potential for an extra couple of hundred fps if loaded to comparable pressures just due to the case capacity. Frankly when I read some of the claims about 7mm-08 velocities matching 280's etc. I figure there is either someone that has never seen a chronograph or a pressure accident looking for a place to happen. My shooting buddy has a 7mm-08 and it is very nice and a very capable rifle but it doesn't produce velocities that are significantly higher than my 308 or our 6.5x55's with similar bullet weights and my 270 easily out paces it w/o pushing the envelope. Does that make it a bad cartridge? No it is a very useful medium bore rifle but certainly not magic. As to the OP's question buy which ever one you like.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 06:09

Either one will serve for anything from varmints to elk... (but no one really needs a .270)..,

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 08:26
Let's face it.  Cartridge selection is 5% and shot placement is 95% of getting the job done right. 

That being said I own a Sako AV in .270 and a Sako M591 in 7mm-08.  I love both rifles.  Have killed game animals with both rifles.  Neither one killed any of the animals "deader" than the other.  I lean toward the .270 more because it is more accurate.

So, my suggestion on this is get both.  Afterall, you can't have too may rifles, right? Wink
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 10:03
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Either one will serve for anything from varmints to elk... (but no one really needs a .270)..,

KB, did a 270win touch you in an inappropriate place when you were a child?

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 18:18
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

Cracked me up. :^)

Edited by powderburn - May/24/2011 at 18:18
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 19:22
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

Interesting observation. Which begs the question, something more extreme must have happened to Pyro.
Doug
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 19:28
Pyro? Boots? OMG!
Ahh Never Mind!!Bucky

Edited by JF4545 - May/25/2011 at 21:22
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 20:32
personally, i think your wasting your money. the 7wsm will do anything and more than the .270 or the 7-08 ever will. the 7wsm will kill anything in the lower 48 with ease. no need to try and improve on perfection imo. as was mentioned in an earlier post, maybe consider a .338 sized case or maybe even a .358 or .375.Wink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic