OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weaver Rings on Picatinny rail?  Need choices help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Rings on Picatinny rail? Need choices help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Rings on Picatinny rail? Need choices help
    Posted: May/20/2011 at 14:49
I have an ar15 rail that is piactinny, and from the searching I've done so far my best choices for rings are weaver.  I'm looking to get .75'' low rings (32mm obj scope). I don't like the look of the vertical rings too much, prefer horizontal.  I like the low profile look of the Leupold PRW the best.  These are the ones I am thinking about going with, however they are weaver dimension.

Heres what I've compared so far:

$34 Warne maxima fixed 1'' Low .75''   (Vertical & Weaver)
$37 Leupold PRW 1'' Low            .75''   (Weaver)
$45 Zeiss Victory Low 1''            .75''    (Vertical) (?Weaver?)
$50 Burris Extreme Tac Low 1''   .75''   (claims of being Weaver)
$65 TPS TSR Low 1''                  .785''  (Picat.)
$65 TPS HRT Low 1''                  .785'' (Picat.)
$35 SWFA Low 1''                      .84''   (Picat., inserts required) 

any good brands i am missing?  not looking to spend over $50.  I'm thinking about just putting the leupy PRW on the picatinny.  Is this ok or will the gap in measurement difference cause issues?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 14:57

Why not a AR specific mount like the SWFA SSALT?

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 15:34
Why not get a free bobro mount,just purchase a #6 kit from the SWFA big deal.Now your problem is totaly solved & you wind up with a few extra toys Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 15:43
On an AR you will want high rings because they comb of the stock is inline with the rail, it does not drop like a typical hunting rifle stock.  If you get low you will never be able to get into the scope to see.

Also most of the time when putting a traditional scope on an AR you need to have a mount that will go farward far enough that you can get the eye piece about even with the charging handle. 

The SWFA SSALT is a great choice and is very affordable.  If you want one of the best the Bobro is an awesome mount. 

First picture is the SWFA SSALT
Second is a Bobro

Edited by supertool73 - May/20/2011 at 15:49
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 16:07
appreciate all the quick replies.. I honestly have zero issues with the low rings as it allows me a better cheek weld.  With high, I have to hold my face up off the stock which gives less stability.  Borbo is certainly cool but not anywhere near the budget, Rifle was only $350, Scope $300, can't do $200 on a mount.  Guess the SWFA wouldn't be bad because they are a little bit taller at .84''.  What do the wise men have to say about the weaver compatibility?

also what kind of quality differences are there between the zeiss, tps, warne, leupy, etc?

Edited by grimreaper21 - May/20/2011 at 16:09
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 19:03
Weaver rings work fine on picatinny bases, but not vice versa.  You'll be fine with Weaver rings.

Keep in mind that with a lot of scopes you need to have the front ring extend forward a bit over the handguard, so a one-piece mount that gives you that option is probably a good choice.

As far as ring height goes, there is a reason why all AR mounts are somewhat high.  They fit most people well with most AR stocks.

I suggest you get a standard AR mount like the SWFA SSALT or something along those lines.  If it proves to be to high for you after trying to shoot from a variety of field positions, you can always add a makeshift cheekpiece.

For example, I needed to add just a little more height to my A1 stock, so I added a piece of srbothane and wrapped it with tape:

It works very well.

ILya
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2011 at 00:54
I have been using the TPS low and medium rings which are either Picatinny or "W" for weaver bases.  You can buy them with either sized crossbar.  They are strong as Leupold Tacticals and accurately made with .005 bore alignment specs.  Also, they are half the price of the Leupold Tactical rings.  I have 2-pairs of mediums, 2-pairs of lows and 1-pair of high rings.  They have not moved on any of my rifles and mounted really well and solidly.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic