OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Springtime Fun with a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springtime Fun with a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springtime Fun with a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP
    Posted: May/19/2011 at 20:17
Welcome to Spring folks!

It was such a nice day today that I decided to head to the range after work this evening. I wanted to really get the feel of my 700 Police now that it has been skim-bedded and the new Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP has been mounted. I can only say that I am even more pleased than I was last fall. Although I was not dissatisfied with the Super Sniper SS 20X42, I am always looking for the next little tweak that I can do to my 700P... I do wish that I would have known about the SS 5/20x50 SH group buy. It would have been another tweak above the Weaver. Although, I have nothing to complain about with my current glass.

Instead of working on the ultimate groups, I decided that I would try something a little different. (OK. So there is one group) I made up some pretty unique "hostage" targets that give the shooter less than a dime's worth of area to hit at the largest point. Below are the results at 100 yards:

My reworked 700P today:

Color me happy once again!
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 20:30
Great  shooting and nice target!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 20:46
Now that's some nice shooting!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 21:31
Hostage #4 would have razor burn... that is some fine shooting.  Very consistent with a 10mph wind. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 22:47
They both look "guilty" to me.

I would have a rough time letting either one of them go.
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 23:00
Yea, it could be a trap... shoot 'em all...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 23:19
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

They both look "guilty" to me.

I would have a rough time letting either one of them go.

Big Smile
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2011 at 23:24
Thanks for the good words guys.

Here is a link to the full-size target, so that you can help me rid the world of these thugs:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5074/hostagesmalltargets.jpg
captainjoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 06:29
Originally posted by gglass gglass wrote:

It was such a nice day today that I decided to head to the range after work this evening. I wanted to really get the feel of my 700 Police now that it has been skim-bedded and the new Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP has been mounted. I can only say that I am even more pleased than I was last fall.

Nice shooting and nice rig. I sent you a PM. There's precious little written up by way of reviews for the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil FFP with the EMD reticle. It all seems to be about Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 which on paper looks great, including a mechanical zero stop, but the glass is reportedly a bit disappointing. I wondered if you could post anything else about how you have found the reticle, turrets and glass on the Weaver? Also, are you finding that it is tracking well?
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2011 at 23:24
I can only say that I am completely satisfied with this scope, including the EMDR reticle. I was a bit worried about the thickness of the reticle at full magnification, but once I started using it, I found it to be just about perfect for a FFP scope. It does not obscure the target any more at full mag than any SFP scope I've used. I really like the Enhanced Mil-Dot setup. Once I learned all of the measurements of the dots and hashes, it really made quick work of milling all sorts of objects at any distance. It is light years ahead of a standard Mil-Dot, that I always had a hard time with getting granular measurements.

Tracking has been spot on and it has returned to its exact zero each time... Who could ask for more?

I marked my turrets with a yellow Sharpie so that I know exactly which hash mark represents the zero. This allows me to quickly reacquire my zero without a zero stop.

I think that the Vortex PST line of scopes is a terrific value, but I would put the Weaver 3-15x50 FFP just a little above it on the value scale. The only scope that I would put above it on that scale is the upcoming SS 5-20x50 HD... With or without the current SH deal.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 05:28
Good shooting!!!
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic