OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mossberg 100ATR .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mossberg 100ATR .308
    Posted: May/16/2011 at 16:25
I won this gun at my local rocky mountain elk foundation dinner. I ordered a Barska 4-16x50mm to use for now just to be in action but I am wondering 2 things:
1. Has anyone bought or used this scope?

2. What would you guys suggest for the best glass for this gun?

Thanks for your help

Woody

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 16:27
Barska are not very good scopes.

What is your budget?

What do you plan on using the gun for?

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
woodyth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 16:30
from what I read, you get what you pay for when it comes to glass so between 500-600. I would ideally like to be able to use this gun for my all around hunting gun. deer, elk, antelope. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 16:39
For $500 to $600 you could get a really nice scope.  Even for $300 you can get pretty nice scopes.

Vortex Viper line is good.  Bushnell Elite line, Sightron S2 Big Sky, Leupold VX3, Meopta Meopro, Zeiss Conquest.

A 3-9x Conquest would be a super scope for your uses.  http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

Or is you don't want to spend much but want a great scope.  The Vortex Viper 2-7x is on closeout.  Excellent scope for the money.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-Rifle-Scopes-C1410.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 16:56
Cancel that Barska order immediately, and choose one of Supertool's suggestions.
-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 17:16
+1, tons of options available in your price range. Take no offense, we just want to see you spend your hard earned cash responsibly.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 18:30
Looks like a nice rifle. Any of the suggestions already made would go well with it. For a .308 with a 22" barrel and for hunting those three species, it's nice to have something in the 2 or 3 range on the low end and no more than 10-12 on the high end. A 3-9 would sit right in the middle of those numbers and will give you the best chance of getting a quality scope for a reasonable price.
Reaction time is a factor...
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 19:17
There are a lot of good scopes available for the tariff you're talking about. Actually you can buy a nice hunting scope for quite a bit less. A good 3-9x40 should be all the scope you really need for a all around hunting rifle. For your budget there is the conquest for $399, the sightron big sky, a burris signature as well as others. I will mention that the sample list on this site is pretty loaded right now with pretty good buys. there's a Bushnell 4200 for $179, several Leupold vx-iis and several vxiii for well under your budget range. and a favorite here is the little viper that's on close out for $149. You could do a lot of hunting and never need more than any of these scopes have to offer. Just my .02.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic