OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do the Zen ED2's compare to Nikon Premier??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How do the Zen ED2's compare to Nikon Premier??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do the Zen ED2's compare to Nikon Premier??
    Posted: May/16/2011 at 14:01
Hi,

Im about ready to pull the trigger on new quality binoculars. Im leaning toward the Zen Ray Zen
ED2 10 x 43, but im also intrigued with the Nikon Premier 10 x42. I realize the Nikons are much
more expensive than the Zen Rays, but im wondering if the Japanese build Nikon will be more
durable and better quality than the Chinese Zen Rays?

The Nikon appear to have a much more robust look to them.

Has anyone here been able to do a side to side comparison between these two binoculars??

If so, I would certainly appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks

Edited by nodule - May/16/2011 at 14:02
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 14:26
You can buy at least two of the Zens for the price of the Premier, if your really concerned with durability, you may wish to add the Meopta Meostars to your list. They are known to be extremely durable and are still within your price range. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 14:28
Thanks Lucky,

But I have limited options since I have a small IPD of 57mm.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 14:43
I had the ZEN ED1s and they had a couple of minor, and mostly cosmetic, durability issues.  Since then I have had the ED2s and they have fixed most of the weak spots in the original design.  I expect to get a lifetime of use out of them.

Optically, the Premiers are known to be pretty prone to Chromatic Abberation (CA), while the ZENs are as well corrected for CA as any alpha binocular.

The Zens have a lifetime warranty, and customer service from the company has been excellent for me.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 18:39
Let me add an affirmation to Matt's comment on CA.  While I am not bothered by it, there are lots of people who are.  By all accounts, if this is you, then the Premier is also not for you.  Additionally the Premier has no pinchshion designed into the edge of the view.  As such, the edge will be sharp.  It may also induce the rolling ball effect, as that is the second of the Preimer's objections.  The third is its size.  It is heavy,  But it otherwise is a good binocular.

Just replied to you on BF.

My 10x43 ZEN ED 2 IPD is 56mm.

Edited by Klamath - May/16/2011 at 22:43
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 18:43
Thanks, Klamath.....

Im just having a hard time with the whole Chinese made thing with the Zens. I just wonder
if these are made in a Chinese sweat shop, by 12 year old boys, earning 2 dollars a day.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 20:46
I would not be concerned with the "made in China" label from a durability or performance standpoint. Chinese made binoculars have come a long way from even just 4 or 5 years ago. Yes, you can still get junk if you look hard enough but many of the newer offerings are really surprising in terms of their performance and overall durability.

Case in point....I just picked up a pair of $80 roof prism bins made in China. I never would have thought to have seen this type of performance and quality from an $80 roof prism bino not to mention one made in China but it is easily on the level with the $300 Nikon Monarchs. Truly shocking.
Frank
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 22:10
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

I just picked up a pair of $80 roof prism bins made in China. I never would have thought to have seen this type of performance and quality from an $80 roof prism bino not to mention one made in China but it is easily on the level with the $300 Nikon Monarchs. Truly shocking.

Frank,

Do tell what was the brand and model?  Of course, I am not asking for an SWFA competitor link, just the brand and model.

Thanks.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2011 at 22:49
I doubt the Zen Ray binoculars are a sweat shop affair.  Optics are somewhat more demanding than textiles or some other cheap stuff that lends itself to unskilled labor.  Besides, ZR is pretty sensitive to that whole issue.

Now, here is another thought.  Since you seem more concerned with a narrow IPD, get a Zen Ray ZRS HD.  The minimum IPD is 54 mm and it is a very compact binocular to boot.  It does not have ED glass, but does use good dielectric prism coating and HD glass in the ocular as a field flattener.  The optics are really, I mean REALLY, close to the ZEN ED 2.  If the IPD is at the edge of being a deal breaker, than I would certainly look at the ZRS.

Frank, I can hardly believe you bit on that Zhumel Short barrel glass Big Smile.  However, your comments elsewhere make it worth good reading at least.  I look forward to more of your comment on it.

Edited by Klamath - May/16/2011 at 22:53
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 07:12
Klamath,

Thanks for the advise, I will look into the ZRS model. Maybe I can even purchase both the
ED2 and the ZRS, test them, and return one for refund.

However, since my IPD is 57.5mm and the Zen ED2 is 56mm, these also should work fine.

Edited by nodule - May/17/2011 at 07:14
nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 12:49
Klamath,

You sure of the IPD on the ZRS? I cant not find the spec anywhere on Zen Ray web site?
Have you actually measured the IPD on the ZRS?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 13:02
Originally posted by nodule nodule wrote:

Klamath,

You sure of the IPD on the ZRS? I cant not find the spec anywhere on Zen Ray web site?
Have you actually measured the IPD on the ZRS?
Mine measures 54 mm miniumum IPD
Steve

nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 13:04
Klamath,

Thats strange....

Just know Zen Ray responded to my email and confirmed the IPD on the ZRS is 57mm!
I wonder how you measure 54 and they 57?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 13:51
I just asked for confirmation myself, but maybe mine is an abberation.  I used digital calipers accurate to 0.001" and measured center to center on the EP.
Steve

nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 13:54
OK thanks, let me know the outcome.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 14:28
Why don't you just order the darn things and if they don't work just send them back.  You've apparently been arguing and dickering with yourself and many of the people who've given you good advice over the past year or two (you've apparently been trying to decide for that long according to BF).  It's not that hard.  
nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2011 at 14:31
JGRaider,

Excuse me, but I am just asking a simple question for some to confirm the IPD measurement for
me. Why order this model if I am unsure if they will work and have to pay shipping back to the
seller?

I am an eye glass wear with a small IPD, so I have limited options! Thats why I am being so
careful before purchasing.

I need a mid range/top range binocular with at least 16mm of eye relief and a minimum IPD of
56mm, maybe 57mm.

Edited by nodule - May/17/2011 at 14:43
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 01:10

Klamath,

Thats strange....

Just know Zen Ray responded to my email and confirmed the IPD on the ZRS is 57mm!
I wonder how you measure 54 and they 57?

Hello Nodule,

I was going through the email log and realized one of my colleagues reported the VISTA IPD to you by mistake.  Klamath is right. The IPD for ZRS HD is 54-73mm.  The minimum IPD for VISTA is 57mm.  On behalf of Zen-Ray Optics, I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks

Charles
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
nodule View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 07:04
Thanks for the correction, Charles! You guys at Zen-Ray appear to have GREAT customer
service!
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 22:52

Thanks for the correction, Charles! You guys at Zen-Ray appear to have GREAT customer
service!

You are welcome. SWFA has all of our products in stock. Don't forget to visit their site.
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic