OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 10X42 problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagdkampf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 10X42 problem
    Posted: January/08/2006 at 12:39

I have a SS 10X42 mounted on a 300 ultra mag.  I have had the scope for a few years and have had no problems, however I noticed that after I had the rifle equiped with a Holland brake I have some sort of fine powder residue on the reticle lens.  Are the interior tubes of the SS scopes coated with anything that could vibrate loose into a powder?  The Holland brake creates a lot of shock harmonics.

Randy

"intelligence has it's limits; stupidity knows no bounds"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 14:54

Sounds like the anodizing is coming off.  Our T&E shooter (Mike McDonald) experienced this a while back on an 8 lb. .338 Lapua with no brake.  After we took over the SS line we solved this problem by baking the tubes at a higher temperature for a longer duration after anodization.

Could also just be internal debris sticking to the glass reticle.  Most scopes use a wire reticle which allows any internal microscopic debris to pass through the reticle.  Debris sticks to a glass reticle right at a focal point which allows you to see it.  No matter how many times you purge the scope during assembley a certain percentage of debris will remain and shooting heavy hitters will cause it to dislodge and stick to the glass reticle (a major reason why most companies don't use them).  Since we took over we increased the QC checking by 2x and increased the purging process by 2x which has all but eliminated that problem too.

Did you purchase your SS new from us?

jagdkampf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagdkampf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2006 at 15:30

Yes, I bought the scope new from SWFA in late 1999 or early 2000.  Not sure of the exact date but I bought it based on an add in Shotgun News Volume 53 #19 which would have been around May 1999, if that tells you anything.  I paid with a credit card but the statement and sales slip are long gone.  The residue is very fine, hard to tell looking through it.  It does not obstruct the lens completely but looks to be about the consistency of a light dusting of fine talc.

Randy

Edited by jagdkampf
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 11:50

Thats about the time we experienced that type of problem.  Send it back to my attention with a copy of this thread and I'll get you another one out right away.

SWFA

Att. Chris

420 Century Way, #100

Red Oak, Texas 75154

jagdkampf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagdkampf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 16:36

Hey Thanks Chris!  Great service after all this time.  I'll box it up and get it out some time in the coming week. 

Thanks again

Randy

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2006 at 17:05

Super Sniper!!

Super Service!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic