OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Increasing elevation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increasing elevation
    Posted: May/13/2011 at 20:33
I have a Sadlak titanium mount on a SAI M21 receiver with a NF NXS 5.5-22x56. The scope has 100 MOA of elevation adjustment. At 100 yards the scope is at 53 MOA elevation which gives me 47 MOA more of height. I need about 35-40 more minutes of elevation to shoot at 1000 yards, but I would like to try to get it centered a little better at distance. I would like to drop the MOA, at 100 yards, to about 20~30. My non-educated thoughts are to cant the mount up slightly or put shims under the front ring. Are there any other ways?  I really don't want to get a sloped mount or rings, I have way too much money in this already.

Thanks
Frank

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 22:56
Why?  You are only going to need 35 to 38 to reach 1000 yards.  You have plenty.  Also you would want to raise the back not the front.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 03:49
I agree with ST...But Burris Signature rings are pretty inexpensive.
But if were my set-up the deciding factor would be how often it was going to be driven to 1000 yards. And the fact that I would trust the NF close to its limits in travel over shimming the mount on a hard kicker like the M-21.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 06:17
+2 raise the rear & what BB said.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 07:16

My pea brain struggles with up in front or up in back.  The way I rationalized it in my head is if I put the gun in a vise with the bullet POI and crosshairs zeroed at 100 yards, on the center of the bullseye, then raise the back of the scope the bullet POI has not changed.  If I fire a round it will still hit the bullesye.  But since I raised the back of the scope the crosshairs are now below the bullseye so I need to increase (raise) the elevation of the scope to get it back on the bullseye.  So instead of being at 53 MOA it would be at some higher MOA.  I want to lower the MOA.  Where am I making my mistake?

I am taking a long range (1000 yards+) shooting class and have access to long ranges locally so I want this rifle mainly for playing at longer distances.  I just don't see any advantage to having 53 MOA on the downside at 100 yards.  Is there any?  I am just trying to center it up at usable distances.

Thanks
Frank

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 08:06
Originally posted by 08Cayenne 08Cayenne wrote:

My pea brain struggles with up in front or up in back.  The way I rationalized it in my head is if I put the gun in a vise with the bullet POI and crosshairs zeroed at 100 yards, on the center of the bullseye, then raise the back of the scope the bullet POI has not changed.  If I fire a round it will still hit the bullesye.  But since I raised the back of the scope the crosshairs are now below the bullseye so I need to increase (raise) the elevation of the scope to get it back on the bullseye.  So instead of being at 53 MOA it would be at some higher MOA.  I want to lower the MOA.  Where am I making my mistake?

I am taking a long range (1000 yards+) shooting class and have access to long ranges locally so I want this rifle mainly for playing at longer distances.  I just don't see any advantage to having 53 MOA on the downside at 100 yards.  Is there any?  I am just trying to center it up at usable distances.

Thanks
Frank

If you set your gun or scope in a vice and dial in elevations. Increasing elevations lowers the cross hairs. Decreasing elevation raises the cross hairs.

Or to raise bullet impact the cross hairs go down. Example is if you have a 200 yard zero you would shoot about 2 moa above point of aim at 100 yards. Therefore your cross hairs are below the poi.

Edited by 308 Sav - May/14/2011 at 08:07
Gerald Baker
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 08:20
PM Mike McDonald, he is very familiar with the m1a (m21), Sadlak mount, etc, and should be able to help.  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic