OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Revolution
    Posted: May/12/2011 at 19:21
I only have around 160.00 for a scope (yeah I am poor Big Smile). Is there a better buy for my money out there or is the redfield revolution 3-9x40 the best in my price range or under? Maybe there is a 100 dollar scope just as good? Thanks in advance.
Hungarian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hungarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 19:25
If it helps I am mounting it on a remington 700 sps tactical in .223 and will mainly be punching paper at 100yards. Will shoot it at 300 yards maybe twice a year at a different range.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 19:49
I personally believe you are choosing a fantastic scope for the money.

Don't sway from your thoughts.

Take a look at this review.  It is well worth the read.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

I can think of 1 scope that you might enjoy it is not as high of magnification but would work perfectly for the range you will mostly be shooting at, it will still achieve "hits" in the black at 300 fairly easily.

It is this scope. http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

The glass is fantastic and it does not lack anything you will need it has the adjustment you need and will give you a fantastic bang for your buck.

One thing I will add is that most on here will stress a bigger objective but for punching paper you probably won't be shooting at dusk or in low light and you probably wont be shooting on gloomy rainy days.

Again the Redfield will work, to quote the words of an optics engineer highly esteemed around this site and soon globally: from his posting of Inexpensive scope comparison and review...

""4th Place: Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44469.aspx

This is the new kid on the block, and it is getting a pretty good start.  It has a few things going for it:
  • assembled in USA by Leupold (i.e. built in customer base of Leupold fans)
  • slim eyepiece and nice styling: the scope looks right
  • good allround performance
This scope, to me, was kinda like Burris FFII only fifty bucks cheaper and not quite as good.  I wish it had a little better contrast, and I wish the knobs were less flimsy feeling.  Aside from that, I liked the scope and I can't think of another scope that costs $150 and performs better.  I think I have a Sightron S1 3-9x40 sitting in my safe somewhere.  I think I'll dig it out and quickly compare it to the Redfield.  I suspect that these two are your best bets in this price range (assuming it holds up long term, but only time can determine that).""

Taken from:  ILya Koshkin, http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - May/12/2011 at 19:52
No one
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 20:25
338LS gives good advice.

Both the 2-7 viper and the Redfield are nice scopes.

The Viper is nicer.
-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 20:37
Koshkin gives better advice than me by far, I will admit I haven't looked through a lot of inexpensive glass.

I do have a place in my heart for the older Redfields, the newer ones are not quite as good as the older ones but are considered the best bang for the buck and they are assembled here in the USA, however the Vortex that has been mentioned can compare with the typical scopes that are in the $400-700 price range, again the issue is the magnification, if you need the 8x and the 9x the vortex does not keep within your budget (my pet peeve is when someone suggests something that is outside of the original posters budget, which I am not doing) the 2-7 however does and will clearly be a great fit for the your rifle in that chambering.

Wow that was a long run on sentence.

I again would say that if magnification is your priority than the Redfield is it conversely if you can live with a little less I believe the improvement in contrast and quality of glass will make up and actually allow you a better picture, view, and the color will be more natural and brighter.  It will in my Very Humble (hm.hm..hmm...) Opinion out perform the Redfield.

If I needed the higher magnification and was looking at that price range I would pick the Redfield.

ILya Koshkin might be worth PM'ing if he does not chime in...

No one
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 21:41
If you Google  the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 you can find it for less than your $160 target.  Then you can ask SWFA.com to price match it so that you can buy it from them and support this forum. 

Another option that I believe is also better than the Redfield would be the Weaver Classic V 3-9x38.  Again, if you Google it you can find it for $160 and then ask SWFA to price match.  If you could scrape up an extra $10 you could get the Weaver Classic V 2-10x38, which would give you a real nice magnification range for that .223.

If you think you'd be ok with a 2-7x32 then the Vortex Viper mentioned above for $150 is a deal that can't be beat.  I have that scope on two Savage 10ML muzzleloaders and I really like it.

If it were me I would want the extra magnification, so I would get the Burris or the Weaver. 

Good luck!
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 03:06
Go Viper and dont look back honestly as far as I have seen best glass in the bang for your buck...Im not an optics god by any means but I have looked through the Vipers and the NEW Redfields and I myself choose the Vortex... If you were talking about an older Redfield though Different story.. My Opinion may be swayed though since I own an older Redfield and a couple Vipers... Haha Best of Luck with your choice Big Grin
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Greyfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 05:23
I had a Revolution in 2x7 and it was OK but didn't impress me that much. In your budget I would go Weaver V9.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 07:36
I had the 3-9 new redfield for a a few weeks, used it on a 17HMR and it worked good, rather clear glass for the price.  Didn't care for the turrets under the caps. they felt kinda cheap and mushy but they did track true and you won't be using them often just to zero and your done.  Compared to my 4-12 viper I'd call it a wash almost with glass quality. But the target turrets on the viper push it over the edge if you plan on spinning them any at all
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 09:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I had the 3-9 new redfield for a a few weeks, used it on a 17HMR and it worked good, rather clear glass for the price.  Didn't care for the turrets under the caps. they felt kinda cheap and mushy but they did track true and you won't be using them often just to zero and your done. 

i have 2 of the revolutions, both 3-9... this description is just about as apt as you'll get.  i also picked up one of the viper 2-7's...  honestly, i'd say glass is a wash between the 2.  i like the c3 plex reticle in the viper better than the bdc reticle in the redfield.  i like the build quality and the turrets much, much better on the viper.  i'm seriously considering picking up another viper and relegating the 2 redfields i have to back up scopes.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2011 at 08:13
The current deal on the Viper 2-7x32 makes it the one to beat in this price range.  At that price, I am not aware of anything that gets close to the Viper's quality.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2011 at 08:30
Well there you have it...

Koshkin is in the know...
No one
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2011 at 13:48
Yes yes he is
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic