OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Connecting two spotting scopes??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting two spotting scopes??
    Posted: May/09/2011 at 20:56

This might sound crazy, but I have been wondering about it for quite awhile now. I have a vortex nomad and am wondering if it would be possible if I bought another one to make a set of 20-60x60 binos. The main thing im wondering is how hard it will be to get the tubes aligned if possible at all. There are some other issues such as focusing, hinging adjustments ect. Im thinking of getting a machine shop to fabricate me a bracket out of aluminum, somehow utilizing the two tripod mount holes. I have alot of kinks to work out and know it sounds a little wacky but i would really like some high powered binos on a tripod for glassing and cant see paying 5,000 bucks for kowas. just thought I would see what ya'll thought, Thanks 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 21:03
It isn't crazy and has been done for years.  Alignment is the issue.  SWFA used to sell kits for making Swarovski spotting scope binoculars. 

SWFA big eyes
-Matt
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 21:15
Another link:

http://swfa.com/ContestViewCustomer.aspx?entry=163

A high power porro could save you some money and a headache.

These seem to have some good reviews:

http://www.oberwerk.com/products/2080t.htm

-Matt
tristinb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tristinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 11:37
There is a company selling a fixture that will align two scopes like a set of binoculars. I saw one out at the range the other day. It took a little adjusting, but looking through two leupold goldrings is awesome. I could see the vapor trail off of the bullet. 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2013 at 18:21
Originally posted by DGM DGM wrote:

cant see paying 5,000 bucks for kowas.
just thought I would see what ya'll thought,
Thanks 

I would recommend that you give one of these a test drive.
If you don't like it you can always return it.

Some things to consider about 20-60 zoom eyepieces.
Fixed magnification produces better views, overall, until you step up to the Alpha glass & Mega bucks.
Zooming upwards to higher magnifications produces dimmers views and narrower FOV.
Higher magnification such as 60x produces greater image stabilization challenges.

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/15/2013 at 13:01
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic