OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 6x32 VS Zen Ray 7x36 ED2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 6x32 VS Zen Ray 7x36 ED2
    Posted: May/08/2011 at 14:30
I have been considering upgrading my Vortex 7x36 Diamondbacks with either the Viper or ED2. I hunt the eastern mountains with plenty of brush and 100 yards is a very long shot. Would I see a big gain with either of these over my current Vortex? How do the Vipers compare to the ED2?
Thanks.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 18:04
Give these two reviews by Koshkin a read.

From my perspective the short story is the Viper is smaller.  The ZEN ED 2 is bigger and a wider fov.  Both are very good.  I'd pick on size if you need smaller size.  The Viper is a true compact and the ZEN is larger.

I had a Diamondback 7x36 for a while and the ZEN ED 2 pretty well blows it away.  The 6.5x32 Vortex Fury is also a lot better than the Diamondback.  Sorry to say, I have zero experience with the 6x32 Viper.

Edited by Klamath - May/08/2011 at 18:07
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Greyfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 18:59
I have read the Viper review but didn't see the Zen. Thanks!
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 08:39
I went thru a midsize binoc search last summer and had a Vortex Fury (just below the Viper) and the famous Zen Ray 7x36 EDII. I sent both of them plus several others back (I was really disappointed with the Zen Ray for all of the positive reviews they get).  I wound up keeping a pair of Leupold 8x32 Gold Rings non-HD for $350 shipped - they were the closest in ergonomics and optical quality to my Zeiss and Leica - ymmv.  
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 09:35
I have the 6x32viper that i picked up on discontinued price and if you can find them for the 300$+ range,  they are a great glass considering also they sold in the 500$ range...  I M O    Can not comment on the smaller Zen's , have read good reviews on them also. I also liked how the viper performed at night during some coyote hunts..
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 11:13
Binocular choice is pretty personal.  It is a combination of a number of things pertaining to image quality and ergonomics.

That having been said, my personal "go to" binocular is the 6x32 Viper.  This year, Vortex had the Viper HD, and I'll try to get my hands one one.  In the meantime, I am exceedingly happy with the original.

ILya
Greyfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 08:49
I picked up a pair of closeout Vipers Friday. After playing with them over the weekend WOW. Great glass and ergos.
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:05
+1 on the Vipers.  Got mine last week and am very happy with them.  Actually been thinking about getting another pair for the wife before they are gone.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 15:45
in a similar vein, how about the viper 8x42 and the ED 2 8x42?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic